Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!
A friend of my gave me a set of Meinl Congas (conga/tumba) to get my beginner journey started. Does anyone have any information on this specific product/set. Attached is a pic for reference... Thanks in advance....
Hi Elrey, they are the old style Marathon line of drums with the original hoops. These days they make them out of inferior wood and with comfort curve rims.
How are the "comfort style" rims different from the old hardware? Are they easier on your wrists? Is it possible to install newer style technology "comfort style" rims on these old Meinl congas? I would also be interested in locating a used "quinto" drum to complete the set, what would be a good resource for locating a used "Meinl" drum? Thank you all for responding... Peace...
Don't worry about the "comfort" rims. Learn the basics with a good teacher or, if one is too far away, a good DVD. I highly recommend the Tomas Cruz set of DVDs. Buy the first one and commit to spending time each day on the basics. Johnny Conga, who frequently posts on this forum, also has a DVD in production. I own a set of the Meinl Luis Conte's with the rims like yours and I've never hurt my hands or wrists. Take your time on picking up the quinto. You have your hands full now learning the correct strokes on what you have. You are very fortunate to be starting out with such good drums my friend!
El Rey, those look like some great Meinl drums. I would hang on to those. I agree with Chappy01 keep the traditional rims, with good technique it won't matter and traditional, well that's old school and that's always a good thing. To pick up a quinto I would check ebay regularly and you may be able to find something but I think it will be hard to find a matching quinto. But that's all right you have what you need right there
Very nice indeed. I agree with everyone else. I'd hang on to those for a while and learn all the basic tones on the conga and tumba. Quintos are more of a soloing instrument. So you may not need one for a while. Plus I feel it is better to learn how to play slaps and so on on larger drums. When I began I struggled with slaps for a while. So I just sat day after day with the tumbadora striking slap after slap after slap until I got it. Then when I moved to the quinto my slap was crankin!
Hey, El Rey there is a matching quinto listed on Ebay that looks like it is an exact match for the conga and tumba you have. It is listed under Latin and Afro-Cuban drums. Check it out