Doubles

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Re: Doubles

Postby Greensail » Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:02 am

As a follow up on my doubles question, I have been continuing to work fairly diligently on them. We recently played a few outdoor gigs and perhaps playing a bit more free during the performance, it seems I've found space for them in my "language".
2 things - improved timing and smoothness if you will, in fills and rolls between drums, the practice has paid off. I can complete them or even make them a little more complicated, with a single hand as opposed to moving both hands to another drum. Second, I find my notes, especially slaps on the conga and especially the tumba have improved notably, which I attribute to a degree, that I vary the strike regularly if not continuously when practicing the doubles. But - I suppose this whole diatribe boils down to if you practice regularly, you improve :wink:
Greensail

Postby Thomas Altmann » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:33 am

Thank you for your report, Greensail. That sounds encouraging.

Second, I find my notes, especially slaps on the conga and especially the tumba have improved notably

I have made the same experience. But playing floating-hand (manoteo) exercises generally had this effect. When I practice double stroke rolls (without the purpose of integrating them in my language), I usually start by playing heel-tip float units alternating (LL-RR), then at my maximum speed I just pull my hands down to the edge of the drum (open stroke position). Would you agree that that makes sense?

Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Postby Chtimulato » Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:20 pm

Thomas Altmann wrote:Thank you for your report, Greensail. That sounds encouraging.

Second, I find my notes, especially slaps on the conga and especially the tumba have improved notably

I have made the same experience. But playing floating-hand (manoteo) exercises generally had this effect. When I practice double stroke rolls (without the purpose of integrating them in my language), I usually start by playing heel-tip float units alternating (LL-RR), then at my maximum speed I just pull my hands down to the edge of the drum (open stroke position). Would you agree that that makes sense?

Thomas

I agree, Thomas, I try to do the same. Hence the importance of warming up.
Chtimulato

Postby Greensail » Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:14 pm

Hmmm, I don't really do it that way. Typically begin with tones, and then intersperse slaps and bass and move between drums, changing the note or drum pretty much with every strike. I shall experiment with your suggestion Thomas. I can play at a out 160bpm for 5" or so with consistency. That said, I have not been able to do a doubles roll that is anywhere near smooth, more accurately it sucks but.... I'll keep trying. I think slaps have improved because it forces you to just use the wrist with emphasis on the accuracy of hand positioning. Thank you both for the suggestions and camaraderie.
Greensail

Postby Chtimulato » Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:48 pm

Do you remember what I told about driving or speaking a foreign language ? :wink:
Chtimulato

Postby Greensail » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:58 pm

Yes sir Chtimulato, nearly everyday actually. I suspect my previous "conclusion" about practice says it all. Nonetheless, very kind regards.
PS - its evening here, I think I'll go play my drums for an hour or 2.
Greensail

Previous

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises