Pandeiro or Kanjira

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Pandeiro or Kanjira

Postby mrhands » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:00 pm

Hey guys. I have been looking for a new percussion instrument to learn while I keep on going with the congas and I'm really interested in both of these instruments. I find that the "simplest" instruments are usually more difficult to learn...at least in the beginning. Anyways, what do you guys think?

Also, has anyone had the the chance to play the remo kanjiras (either one) and what are some decent pandeiros on the market?

Thanks for your time.
mrhands

Re: Pandeiro or Kanjira

Postby congamyk » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:15 pm

What style(s) of music do you want to play (most)?

Are you willing to make a lifetime commitment to learn how to play either instrument?
There is nothing "simple" about learning pandiero.

While either instrument can be played in almost any context, the pandiero is Brazilian and the kinjara -Indian.
If Bossa Nova, pagode, samba, partido alto is your thing then play pandiero. If Indian, middle eastern, gypsy-folk-funk is more your thing go with kinjara.

I love to sing & play Brazilian music and have studied pandiero for years.
Before youtube became popular in Brazil there was very little good info on the web on how to play.
I recall getting my first videos in the mail from Brazil way back when.
With all of the youtube videos from Brazil now accessible studying pandiero is much easier.

IMO this is the best available pandiero (in USA) for someone starting out.
It has become my favorite pandiero. http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/LP-Rio-Wood-Pandeiro?sku=581484
congamyk

Postby mrhands » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:44 pm

Thanks for the info.

I said the instruments are simple but that the simplest ones are the hardest to learn, no that they were simple to learn. Hope that clears it up a bit.
Anything worth it is a life long journey and I've been playing music for almost half my life so I'm fully aware of this. You can never learn everything. I would actually like to learn both instruments. Kanjira just for the sake of learning and challenging myself and for the ability to use it for recordings in pop music. The pandeiro for the same reason however I'd be able to play it live with more people as more people are familiar with brazillian music. I guess we'll see.

Thanks for your help.
mrhands

Postby Jerry Bembe » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:55 pm

Check your local scene for a Brazilian Samba School. I learned my basis for Samba with the Chicago Samba School. There are hundreds of Samba Schools throughout the USA and Europe. These cats are generally very helpful with every aspect of pursuing Brazilian Music.

I personally play primarily Surdo and in addition I play Agogo, Tamborim and Shaker in this context. Below I have a link that could be of assistance for your pursuit of Brazilian Percussion in general.

http://members.cox.net/drum/surdos07.htm
Jerry Bembe

Postby Johnny Salinas » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:30 pm

mrhands wrote:Hey guys. I have been looking for a new percussion instrument to learn while I keep on going with the congas and I'm really interested in both of these instruments. I find that the "simplest" instruments are usually more difficult to learn...at least in the beginning. Anyways, what do you guys think?

Also, has anyone had the the chance to play the remo kanjiras (either one) and what are some decent pandeiros on the market?

Thanks for your time.

Torelli in Brazil makes a very nice affordable one, great for a beginner or experienced, http://cgi.ebay.com/10-BRAZILIAN-RED-PA ... 43a4edfd4e you can get one plus a bag to put it in for about $50 check it out, http://cgi.ebay.com/10-BRAZILIAN-SOFT-B ... 43a5640ae5
Johnny Salinas

Postby epicous » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:37 am

congamyk wrote:If Indian, middle eastern, gypsy-folk-funk is more your thing go with kinjara.

I don't find the relation between indian, and middle eastern and funk. Even the kanjira is south-indian (from carnatic style), different form north-indian (hindustani style, that has some arab influence). For middle eastern vibe, maybe he should try the riqq. Pandeiro is more related to funk, while kanjira is the opposite, more cerebral.
epicous

Postby mrhands » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:57 pm

Thanks for all your input. I've decided and I've ordered my Kanjira. I've been researching carnatic music/notation. It seems very complex but it's good because I would like to try to learn something quietly on my own. I'd definately like to get some of the rhythmic concepts down. And who knows, I can try to use it in funk. Just because it's not a funk instrument doesn't mean I can't use it as such.

Thanks for all your input.
mrhands

Postby mrhands » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:09 pm

what size pandeiros do you guys play? How are Meinl pandeiro? I'm asking because they are most accessible here. Also, synthetic or animal skin? Thanks for your help. I may get one after all. I'm just starving to learn a different style of music...haha
mrhands

Postby epicous » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:06 pm

Last edited by epicous on Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
epicous

Postby mrhands » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:21 am

Amazing^^^^

I was wondering whihc pandeiro would be best for playing with a band, or evenjust an acoustic guitar? I've been watching a bunch of videos and it seems like a 10'' pandeiro with a hide head gets those real nice lows. I don't enjoy the sound of the plastic heads. Everyone on youtube witha plastic head seems to tune it higher. What size do you guys prefer? Don't worry about weight issues, strictly from a sound perspective..Could I get the same lows from a 10'' pandeiro with a hide head from a 12'' pandeiro with a plastic head? Thanks for your time.

BTW, how are the Pearl pandeiro's?
mrhands

Postby SpEd » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:48 am

I recently spent some quality time with Dann Sherrill of Nashville... he was giving me a lesson in pandeiro, and suggested the "Marcos Suzano sound" of the following from pandeiro.com.
I like it.. so I'm savin up!

http://www.pandeiro.com/proddetail.php?prod=bir02
SpEd

Postby mrhands » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:39 pm

Really pricey haha. I can't justify paying that much for a pandeiro. But i did place an order for an LP Rio natural skin pandeiro yesterday. I'm really excited! I want to play some cafes this summer with some guitar players or whatever so I'm trying to brush up on some smaller percussion to accompany them. I got bongos and I will have the pandeiro within the next few weeks. Thansk to everyone for their help.
mrhands

Postby OLSONGO » Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:04 am

Good luck on aquiaring the pandeiro technique by summer , or in 2 months. There is a lot to learn.

Peace
Olsongo
OLSONGO

Postby mrhands » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:39 pm

sure man. I've been watching video lessons on youtube for a few months now. Other than that, I'm a fast learner. I will definately be competant on the pandeiro before the end of summer. I've already chosen one song I would like to make a video to. We'll see how that goes and if my technique is coming along. You'll all be able to judge me then. :D
mrhands

Postby s'chopp » Tue May 03, 2011 1:53 pm

I have the remo kanjira, it's tone is similar to the monitor skin it's supposed to be made of, very deep tone, good elasticity for pit bending. Skyndeep i think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAdfoLp3ZBI

Some people make them using komodo skin..
s'chopp

Next

Return to Open Discussion