Some pics from my Sth America & Cuba trip.

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Re: Some pics from my Sth America & Cuba trip.

Postby Mike » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:10 am

Marcelo, most awe-inspiring!
That trip of yours gives us food for thought and also eye-candy :wink:

OMG, I cant believe the cannons at the fortress are German :cry: :lol:
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby pavloconga » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:13 am

ABAKUA wrote:
Thomas Altmann wrote:Hi Marcelo,

Es verdad! El ron Havana Club es muy comun aqui, you find it everywhere so we were used to it, however we werent used to drinking it at all hours of the day all day, all night! hahahahaha :lol: Our tolerance to rum however has gone through the roof, on any average night by about 3 weeks into the trip it was 3 bottles per night! Añejo Blanco de 3 años, or 2 bottles Añejo de 7 años!

Havana is powered by rum! When I was there I was lucky enough to be invited by Macho to play several times in Carnaval de la Habana, and the support team carried a large jerrycan of rum, poured into paper cups and down throats to keep everyone fired up for el Malecon! Good memories.

Looks like you had an absolute blast too!
pavloconga

Postby Thomas Altmann » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:18 pm

Marcelo:

Congratulations for your juramento!

From my standpoint it is interesting to observe that you were allowed to take photos of the fundamentos and even a moment in the ritual. I don't mean to scold you or anyone for that; it's just interesting to see how fast things are changing. I couldn't stop that ongoing development, and neither would I waste my time trying. According to the tradition, I was only allowed to take photos of the tambor's flag back in 2005. Personally, I wouldn't dare to take photos, film or record Orisha or anything that is fundamento, nor would I permit anyone to do this with any of my Orishas. But that's just my business, it's what I was taught, and I'm not the person to make the big changes in orthodoxy. But well ... I must admit that these were the only pictures that I loaded down for my personal use, because that ceremony is so beautiful, at least in my memory. (I hope you don't mind; they are well guarded with me.)

Thanks again, and all the best!

Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Postby jorge » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:13 pm

Marcelo,
What a great trip, you really did some exciting things, sounds like you accomplished most of what you really wanted to do. Your impressions provide a refreshingly uncensored view. With the US economic and information embargo, it is rare for us to get much real information from inside Cuba that does not come with a political agenda on one side or the other. Thank you for sharing all those pictures and stories, they bring back memories.
Jorge
jorge

Postby juancho » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:16 pm

Con razon le dicen la Perla Del Caribe. I can imagine back in the days. Gracias viejo Marcelo!!
juancho

Postby Omelenko1 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:51 pm

Marcelo,

Mi Ekobio, thanks for taking soooo many photos of my native city. I still recall days as a liitle kid "en el muro del Malecon". Que ricas lucen esas MULATONAS Cubiches, "tremendas Sandugueras". Did you happened to stop by my neighborhood, "El Cerro"? Thanks for loving my country. I haven't seen it in 48 years.
Te pasastes 2 meses de vacilon, asere!

Dario
Omelenko1

Postby pcastag » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:25 am

My first trip to Cuba I stayed at a friend of mine in-lada en la tercera avenida de Miramar, , one day I went walking down the by the "beach" and saw all these pools crumbling and falling apart, right by the beach, I can only imagine what Habana looked like in it's heyday, but the people and the culture are beautiful. Una ciudad de magica! Incredible, gotta go back soon. Looks like your trip was a lifetime experience. So how did a che end up in aussie land anyways?
Paolo
PC
PC
pcastag

Postby ABAKUA » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:52 am

Thomas Altmann wrote:Marcelo:

Congratulations for your juramento!

From my standpoint it is interesting to observe that you were allowed to take photos of the fundamentos and even a moment in the ritual. I don't mean to scold you or anyone for that; it's just interesting to see how fast things are changing. I couldn't stop that ongoing development, and neither would I waste my time trying. According to the tradition, I was only allowed to take photos of the tambor's flag back in 2005. Personally, I wouldn't dare to take photos, film or record Orisha or anything that is fundamento, nor would I permit anyone to do this with any of my Orishas. But that's just my business, it's what I was taught, and I'm not the person to make the big changes in orthodoxy. But well ... I must admit that these were the only pictures that I loaded down for my personal use, because that ceremony is so beautiful, at least in my memory. (I hope you don't mind; they are well guarded with me.)

Thanks again, and all the best!

Thomas

Gracias Thomas, it had been a long time in the making. I wanted to accomplish these in Cuba, always had to be in Cuba. Though I have been around the culture and involved for over 15 years, an inner feeling told me it had to happen in Cuba.
Regarding the photography etc, normally this is the case, ie no photography nor filiming. However, unbeknown to us, we arrived with a tremendously strong prescence, felt imediately by several of the elders in the room, it caused quite a stir! and upon consulting with Orula, there was no objection to the photography. Of course, only parts of the ceremonies were allowed to be photographed and filmed. A true honour.
I will load up some footage in the coming days etc.

jorge wrote:Marcelo,
What a great trip, you really did some exciting things, sounds like you accomplished most of what you really wanted to do. Your impressions provide a refreshingly uncensored view. With the US economic and information embargo, it is rare for us to get much real information from inside Cuba that does not come with a political agenda on one side or the other. Thank you for sharing all those pictures and stories, they bring back memories.
Jorge

Thank you Jorge, feel free to ask anything you like. If I can answer to the best of my knowledge I will do so honestly. The Cuban spirit is well alive amongst Habaneros, and they are ever more determined at accomplishing a true independance at any cost. No sign of them folding to any US embargo any time soon! Their determination, spirit, values and outlook on life is to be admired and truly respected.

Omelenko1 wrote:Marcelo,

Mi Ekobio, thanks for taking soooo many photos of my native city. I still recall days as a liitle kid "en el muro del Malecon". Que ricas lucen esas MULATONAS Cubiches, "tremendas Sandugueras". Did you happened to stop by my neighborhood, "El Cerro"? Thanks for loving my country. I haven't seen it in 48 years.
Te pasastes 2 meses de vacilon, asere!

Dario

Hey hermano, was waiting for you to see this topic! How my tears rolled down my face the first time I was able to put my hands on el Malecon, the happiness and raw emotion of finally arriving was incredible. Las Mulatonas! my goodness, I have been all over Sth America, and seen some incredible women, but Cuban woman are a world apart from all others, they are spectacular, intoxicating, and a true gift to mankind!
El Cerro, brother I spent so much time in El Cerro cause my new Cuban girlfriend (who was there on vacation visiting her parents) is from El Cerro, off Calzada de Infantas, before reaching Calle Monte.
I walked on many occasions from Jesus Maria (where my Padrino lives) to El Cerro
Words cannot describe how I fell in love with Cuba, I was obsessed before, and now after breathing, living and experiencing everything there, I am completely in love with Cuba, i cried so much upon leaving. Even some of the biggest names would not let go of us and cried so much upon our departure. La Habana and its people took us in, loved us and respected us as their own people. I have never felt more alive, loved or respected in my life.
VIVA CUBA!
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby windhorse » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:27 pm

So much heart!!! Loving this thread Marcelo!!! :D
windhorse

Postby Omelenko1 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:16 pm

Marcelo,

Did you go to Fabrica de Instrumentos Fernando Ortiz, is on Calzada Del Cerro, you can find SONOCS there and whatever you want. Did you partake in any "Rumba de Solar" in El Cerro or Jesus Maria. Mongo was born and raised in in Jesus Maria in "Calle Anton Recio" esquina "Vives". Jesus Maria is known for the best rumberos in Cuba, Puntilla was also from Jesus Maria. I'm very exited about your photos. Tremenda nostalgia mulato!

Dario
Omelenko1

Postby ABAKUA » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:58 am

Omelenko1 wrote:Marcelo,

Did you go to Fabrica de Instrumentos Fernando Ortiz, is on Calzada Del Cerro, you can find SONOCS there and whatever you want. Did you partake in any "Rumba de Solar" in El Cerro or Jesus Maria. Mongo was born and raised in in Jesus Maria in "Calle Anton Recio" esquina "Vives". Jesus Maria is known for the best rumberos in Cuba, Puntilla was also from Jesus Maria. I'm very exited about your photos. Tremenda nostalgia mulato!

Dario

I dont think its there anymore, at least no one mentioned it when we were out looking for instruments...
My Padrino lives in Jesus Maria, on Calle Monte, entre Anton Recio y San NIcolas! Had some insane rumbas there! Also in spent alot of time in Los Sitios, the tumbador from Adalberto lives there, so we were always around that area as well.

I will post up a few more pics :)
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby pingcharlie » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:58 pm

Amazing pics! Thanks for sharing Abakua.
pingcharlie

Postby quintadrum » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:06 am

Thank you so much for sharing, brought back so many great memories...Thank you.
quintadrum

Postby Ernesto Pediangco » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:03 am

Its the Cuban version of the car " Christine " from Stephen Speilbergs film !
ABAKUA wrote:1958 baby!!

Ernesto Pediangco

Postby Anonimo » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:34 pm

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Anonimo

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion