Music stores?

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Music stores?

Postby roberthelpus » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:15 pm

Went to a friends gig at a music store, they had a recording studio/stage set up. It was these folks and they were recording video for this show if I understood what was going on correctly. So I went into the store on the break and found these which almost play themselves. I liked the one with the steel and brass jingles best but they wanted too much for them. Very well balanced and ergomonomicable.

Then they had these
Which weighed 735 lbs, and "The shells feature an inner layer of hard Para Wood for improved volume and increased mid and low frequencies and an outer layer of Mahogany for incredible looks." for reasons that I could not fathom. They sounded OK and did seem to have better water buffalo on them than is usually found.

So now that I am finished starting off my own thread by hijacking it, I will come to my question. Does anybody her have a music store that they are basically happy with? I have yet to find one that really has much of a selection with anyone who has much more than a clue about what I am talking about. I'll spare you the obvious rant about what I do find.
roberthelpus

Re: Music stores?

Postby Anonimo » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:29 am

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Last edited by Anonimo on Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anonimo

Postby Skulmoski » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:22 pm

Come to Abu Dhabi and prepare to see the lowest of the low in terms of quality for most musical instruments. You will find the occasional LP high end product but that is rare. Poor quality Asian percussion is the norm. However, I have purchased some nice frame drums from Bahrain, Pakistan and India here. I also picked up a sweet sounding doumbek here. Finding quality Latin percussion and traditional drum sets.cymbals is problematic.

GJS
Skulmoski

Postby willie55 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:22 pm

the local Guitar Center, in Little Rock, Arkansas has percussion specials but its usally kit drum related, so you will basicly pay close to list price on hand percussion items, even on Black Friday
willie55

Postby roberthelpus » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:53 pm

@ Leedy It would make sense that the original Sam Ash in NY, NY would have some selection. but the local ones are pretty much like any other store that I have been to. The best that I have been to was Columbus Percussion in Columbus, OH. They did have a better selection and supposedly had some personnel that knew something about "hand percussion," although they were never there on the few visits that I have made there. It sure looked like a kit player's paradise. All of the local stores around here usually don't even go as far as the LP Classic level these days.

We used to have two Drum only stores here that kit players of my generation sorely miss. That was before I played congas etc. so I can't really comment on how well they took care of that end. Said kit players were really loved the owners of those stores. They all have stories of when they were broke and really needed something or other and the owners would spot them whatever they needed. Not good for the old cash flow but it sure built up loyalty for when they had the cash to make a larger purchase.

Edited to add: Oh yeah one was called The Drumshine Shop and the other was Stix and Stuff.
roberthelpus

Postby bongosnotbombs » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:21 pm

California Percussion here is SF has a new showroom with a decent selection and knowledeable staff Yhe owner travels a lot and brings back some very authentic items. Haight Ashbury Music as well. They have a long history with percussion. Haight Ashbury also gets things on consignment like Valjes and Gon Bops. The owner knows Akbar personally and is friends with Martin Cohen as well.
bongosnotbombs

Postby roberthelpus » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:02 pm

Yep. Makes sense that NY city and SF would have good stores. I'm realistic and not asking for great, competent would be just fine. :D
roberthelpus

Postby Anonimo » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:23 pm

Anonimo

Postby Dangler » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:16 pm

In Canada we are blessed with a national music retail chain known as Long & Mcquade.They have the best prices(guaranteed),great customer support,in house financing tailored to musicians(nothing special nowadays) and a killer return policy(30 days satisfaction or full refund).They also do not carry junk and if a supplier's quality begins to slip they quit carrying that product quickly.
Unfortunatly theres not much of a demand for latin percussion so the selection is somewhat limited.Fortunately we have the internet where we can find out all the information on any musical instrument our heart desires including where to purchase.
Dangler

Postby sjhendee » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:28 am

Second on California Percussion, owner is a member of the SF Symphony. Its hard though to go into a shop and see everything, especially in this economic climate and with the breadth of information that is available on the internet. Often people go into a music store with the expectation that everything will be in stock, it just isn't realistic anymore. Also, check out Woodwind and Brasswind....very good prices and is known as a "super-store" big selection to ship to you.
sjhendee

Postby roberthelpus » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:32 pm

About five years ago I went to the manager of one of the local big box chain outlets and proposed that he hire me and expand their "hand percussion" offerings and service. Telling him that I realize that it's not the biggest potential profit maker but that there is room for growth, and that he could make his store (and eventually the chain) into the place that people think about when they think about hand percussion. In spite of the fact that the other major chain in town was only a few miles away, I never heard back from him. I ran the same ideas by the percussion manager at the other store, that I had a talking acquaintance with, and he responded with similar enthusiasm. Now the Guitar Center and Sam Ash in that part of town is within walking distance of each other and I still think it's a good idea. It's a competitive world out there and I think that cornering (to some extent) a niche market could help a firm compete.
roberthelpus

Postby Anonimo » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:07 pm

Anonimo

Postby gilbert » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:48 am

Skulmoski wrote:Come to Abu Dhabi and prepare to see the lowest of the low in terms of quality for most musical instruments. You will find the occasional LP high end product but that is rare. Poor quality Asian percussion is the norm. However, I have purchased some nice frame drums from Bahrain, Pakistan and India here. I also picked up a sweet sounding doumbek here. Finding quality Latin percussion and traditional drum sets.cymbals is problematic.

GJS

The problem is in Dubai and all middle east is the high prices of musical instruments especially High end latin percussions,
I used to find everything I need at "Thomsun's Dubai" but now with the price raises i'm shipping directly from the states.
as for oriental instruments you can find really good deals for professional instruments
gilbert

Postby Anonimo » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:57 pm

Anonimo

Postby roberthelpus » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:22 pm

leedy2 wrote:
roberthelpus wrote:About five years ago I went to the manager of one of the local big box chain outlets and proposed that he hire me and expand their "hand percussion" offerings and service. Telling him that I realize that it's not the biggest potential profit maker but that there is room for growth, and that he could make his store (and eventually the chain) into the place that people think about when they think about hand percussion. In spite of the fact that the other major chain in town was only a few miles away, I never heard back from him. I ran the same ideas by the percussion manager at the other store, that I had a talking acquaintance with, and he responded with similar enthusiasm. Now the Guitar Center and Sam Ash in that part of town is within walking distance of each other and I still think it's a good idea. It's a competitive world out there and I think that cornering (to some extent) a niche market could help a firm compete.

Robert
In response to you post and before you read I want you to know I do not mean this as an insult or disrespect to you just facts of hiring in this business.I don't know you or know nothing about you but here is the problem in this market . If I were to hire you to work in my store as a seller of hand percussion instrument thing to know .
1) very important repair do you know how to repair the instrument proper, no have fast job ?
2) Do you have connections with company's that you can bring in merchandise no beginner getting on phone and making calls but going to source
3) Do company's know you LP,Gon bops ,Valje, Fender do you frequent Nam shows
4) Are you on top of the ball when it comes to percussion new product's

These are thing that store owner look for in a sales person in good stores, a lot of mom and pop stores don't care only that you sell but big stores look for this. In many of these large store's you have to know what you are talking about when it comes to sales ,repair ,rentals .I did this for over 20 years and still many company's call me today for advice. For me to give them model numbers even repairs I get question from stores like Sam Ash , Drummers World today I am the only person in New York that tucks skins no one know how to the prefer to buy mounted or plastic but that what going on .So you see this is what make store owners want to hire you. Again it no disrespect but true facts of what goes on in this business.

No offense taken brother, and while I am not completely without skills I certainly don't meet all of the above. At the time I was retired but needing a job eventually and I gave it a shot. I just invested a bit of time, which I had plenty of then. Another thing to consider is the fact that I could have brought 100% more to the table than what they had at the time. The manager that I talked about it with, did at least give me a fair hearing, or at least pretended to listen :D

I still think it's a good idea that would raise the bar and create some healthy competition for what's on offer for us. Especially those that don't live in cities that have enough of the culture.
Last edited by roberthelpus on Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roberthelpus

Next

Return to Open Discussion