My Buleador Project

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Re: My Buleador Project

Postby roberthelpus » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:59 pm

If that's oak you might wind up wanting to bleach it if some of those satins run too deep to sand out. There's a type of bleach made for that, but I forget exactly what it is at the moment.
roberthelpus

Postby Gear Dog » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:42 pm

Thanks Robert I think I can go deeper and get most of the natural color back.
I only had 120 grit sandpaper last night which wasn't really getting into the wood it was more like finishing it. Once I get the proper sandpaper I'll see how clean I can get it.

Does anyone know how to determine the size of the rings?
The top measures 17 across if that helps.

Thanks for all of the input
Gear Dog

Postby tamboricua » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:42 pm

Gear Dog wrote:Thanks Robert I think I can go deeper and get most of the natural color back.
I only had 120 grit sandpaper last night which wasn't really getting into the wood it was more like finishing it. Once I get the proper sandpaper I'll see how clean I can get it.

Does anyone know how to determine the size of the rings?
The top measures 17 across if that helps.

Thanks for all of the input

Is that measurement from the inside or outside diameter?

Basically you want to add about 3/4" up to 1/2" inch extra to whatever your drum measures when making your tuning hoop.

The flesh rim will be either exactly same size as your tuning hoop or a little bigger so it won't go underneath & inside your tuning hoop after years of tuning the drum.

Hope this helps!!!

JG
tamboricua

Postby Gear Dog » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:34 pm

Thanks I'm going to see if I can figure out a way to bend the ring today.
I just got a call from my parents who happen to be in Loisa listening watching them play Bomba. They are on the hunt for a skin for me. I figured instead of gettning me a souvenir to sit on a shelf a skin from PR would be better used.
Gear Dog

Postby roberthelpus » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:51 pm

http://www.harborfreight.com/gear-drive ... 36790.html

I've made skin rings and rings for djembes with this, but don't have welding equipment any more to weld them together.
roberthelpus

Postby Gear Dog » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:53 pm

Well I did some searching and found something on instructables that might do the trick. Although I wouldn't mind buying another tool I'm not sure how many times I would actually use one of those. I'm going to try this tonight and see how it works
Gear Dog

Postby roberthelpus » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:40 pm

When I had a welding machine, it pretty much paid for itself with folks wanting rings for djembes and ashikos.
roberthelpus

Postby Gear Dog » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:34 pm

Made more progress with the belt sander last night. I got scolded when my wife came down to check on me in the garage. She had to open the garage because of all of the dust everywhere. I was wearing a respirator but man my eyes were irritated. :oops:
Gear Dog

Postby Anonimo » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:39 pm

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Anonimo

Postby Joseph » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:25 pm

If you want to really clean up the discolored look of those old oak staves, try using Oxalic Acid.
Also known as wood bleach. Comes in crystals, dissolve in water, then spread onto wood surface.
Use gloves...very caustic.

....it'll save you a LOT of sanding.

Oxalic Acid

"Oxalic acid is unique in that it will remove a certain type of stain formed when iron and moisture come into contact with tannic acid in the wood. Some woods like oak, cherry and mahogany naturally contain a high amount of tannic acid and a black stain is formed when the wood gets wet with water (tap water contains iron as a trace mineral). A wet glass or leaky vase left on these woods will produce a black ring. Nails and screws will form black rings around the head if the wood gets wet. If tap water is used to wet unfinished oak and mahogany, small gray spots may form on the surface of the wood. Oxalic acid will remove this discoloration without affecting the natural color of the wood.

Oxalic acid is also used to lighten the graying effects of outdoor exposure. It is the ingredient in most deck "brighteners". Used on furniture that has been stripped for re-finishing, it will lighten the color and re-establish an even tone to the wood, particularly oak."
http://www.antiquerestorers.com/Articles/jeff/using_wood_bleach.htm
Joseph

Postby Gear Dog » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:53 pm

Thanks someone else suggested bleaching it as well. I'm still undecided what I want to do with it. Since It's my first project I might leave it the way it is and leave some of the "original patina" showing.
Gear Dog

Postby roberthelpus » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:54 pm

Oxalic Acid, that's it. Is there a neutralizing step that you have to do after you use it? I seem to remember something like that.
roberthelpus

Previous

Return to Open Discussion