My Buleador Project

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

My Buleador Project

Postby Gear Dog » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:19 pm

After attending a few GTG's from the Bombayo group I wanted to play.
Looking around there wasn't much out there as far as info on the Buleador let alone Bomba.
I came across 2 videos showing how to make them from wine barrels one being from tamboricua. So I decided I'm going to make my own. I don't play but I want to learn and so does my son so we will build and play it together. I got lucky and found a barrel local through CL.
Let the journey begin.
Gear Dog

Re: My Buleador Project

Postby niallgregory » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:38 pm

great project man .Let us know how you get on . Will be great learning with your son 8) enjoy ..
niall gregory
niallgregory

Postby CongaTick » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:41 pm

This is a wonderful story in the making, both for you, your son, and us on the sidelines. If you can document each step of the way pictorially it will be a cherished archive for you and your son. I urge you to consider this and I congratulate you on taking this "journey" and the wonderful rewards you will reap.
CongaTick

Postby Gear Dog » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:22 pm

Thanks for the encouraging words guys I do plan on documenting the build.
I plan on doing a start to finish photo and video to post up. It will either be a great how to or how not to :wink: .
Here is a quick video of Dylan after seeing his 3yr old cousin playing. I was surprised he wanted to try it in front of about 50 people. I explained to him that if there was an open seat he can play so he walked right up and joined them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk34WqEzqbg
Gear Dog

Postby tamboricua » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:49 pm

Gear Dog,

Way to go!!! I'm looking forward to see this project develop. I know that after completed it will be a very gratifying moment for you and your son.

If you guys need any assistance within the process just let me know.

Feel free to find me on Facebook, I do have photos posted from start to finish of the one I just recently finished.

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby Gear Dog » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:11 pm

Thanks Jeorge
I did have a question on the frame you built support the drum. How do you determine the height of the drum? Also what size should the circle be on the frame, are the top and bottom the same size? Hopefully I'll get to cut the barrel today.
Gear Dog

Postby tamboricua » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:18 pm

Gear Dog wrote:Thanks Jeorge
I did have a question on the frame you built support the drum. How do you determine the height of the drum? Also what size should the circle be on the frame, are the top and bottom the same size? Hopefully I'll get to cut the barrel today.

Gear Dog,

That will be determined by the tradition you want to follow when making your drum. Buleadores from the North tradition of the island, (Loíza/Santurce/Cataño etc.), tend to be around 22", 24" in height. Buleadores from the South tradition, (Ponce, Guayama, Salinas, etc.), tend to be taller around 28" and up. See attached photo, in there you have Buleadores from both traditions together so you can compare and see the differences in both. By looking at the video you posted I'm guessing you want to follow the North tradition, so around 24" you will be find. Yes, Bomba drums normally tend to be equal in size top and bottom, otherwise you'll have something Bomberos refer to a "Barril Timbiao". A good size for a Buleador (para marcar base) will be around 14" to 16" in diameter, if you want to make a Primo (para repicar)) around 12" will work very nice.

Well my friend, I hope you find this information helpful. Any other thing just let me know.

Best,

JG
Attachments
fuentes.06010001.jpg
tamboricua

Postby Gear Dog » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:36 am

Well I was able to spend some time on the barril today here are some progress pic's.
Here is Bella making sure we put them back where they belong.Image
Dylan removing the top ring because it was in the way.
I also went and picked up some steel for the rings today.
Gear Dog

Postby willie55 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:09 pm

why can't you use the barrel the way it is. in the configuration it came? can you reforce by gluing inside and sanding the outside, then adding skin and hardware?
willie55

Postby Gear Dog » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:50 pm

Well the barrel had seen better days. The metal bands were all rusted and pitted. Also the edges were cracked and brittle so it needed some trimming. It was 30' and I cut it down to 26' so I have clean solid edges. The plan now is to clean it up and glue the staves together. I still haven't decided if I'm going to leave it natural or stain it.

Anyone know how to determine the size of the rings for the skin?
Gear Dog

Postby Jerry Bembe » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:58 am

Jorge,

Does the hardware on the drums you posted here use gate hinge hardware? If not what is the source of this hardware?

I have found some rather heavy lock angle hardware with 2 heavy chriomed angles for $8 each but a sturdy gate hinge could do the trick.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for this posting guys. It is both informational and inspirational.

Jerry
We are surrounded by rhythm everywhere we go. Listen and be in sync with the clave. Peace

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmwxUIIP-EM
Jerry Bembe

Postby tamboricua » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:07 pm

Jerry Bembe wrote:Jorge,

Does the hardware on the drums you posted here use gate hinge hardware? If not what is the source of this hardware?

I have found some rather heavy lock angle hardware with 2 heavy chriomed angles for $8 each but a sturdy gate hinge could do the trick.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for this posting guys. It is both informational and inspirational.

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

I'm not sure what type of hardware is used on those drums (pitured above) . The drums belong to the Puerto Rican Folkloric Music & Dance company in Austin, Texas.

On mine drum, I used LP batá side plates and regular conga lugs.

Hope this helps!!!

Best,

JG
tamboricua

Postby Gear Dog » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:35 am

Ok I've been home sick the last 2 days and made some progress. This has been a fun project so far for my and the kids. Next up it to make the hardware. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Laying everything out
Putting it all together. This was the trickiest part, I think one of those adjustable bungee cords would work great here. The ones I was using had a lot of tension and made it harder as we added more staves.
Here I decided to use shims to separate them while applying the glue.
All wrapped up
Gear Dog

Postby Gear Dog » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:00 pm

I went to the garage just to look and ended up doing some sanding. I picked up 2 new belts for my sander and ended up breaking both within 20 minutes :x . Luckily I had plenty sand paper for my palm sander. I've been thinking about what to do with the hole in the side. I might get a piece of different color wood like cherry or something dark. I figure this way it will be obvious that at one point in it's life it served as a wine barrel. It would also be a great place for me to burn my name into it.
Gear Dog

Postby tamboricua » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:22 pm

It's turning out great Gear Dog!!!

Best,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Next

Return to Open Discussion