L&H Percussion

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Re: L&H Percussion

Postby Dicemanb » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:27 am

Tonio,

I can imagine what you went through, but with your positive attitude and love of the drum...its gonna be aaaaaalright.

Dce
Dicemanb

Postby Mike » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:12 pm

bongosnotbombs wrote:Tonio, bro! I hope your surgery is a success and wish you a speedy recovery. Hang in there my man!

I just put these L&H's on my Resolutions. Can't wait for them to dry. I love playing this bongo!

Those skins look very nice, is it goat on macho?
The calf or cow skin on your Resolution hembra looks pretty much the same as the thick L&H skin
that I have got on my HR El Piernas.
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby Tonio » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:28 pm

Thanks for all the positive thoughts, I really appreciate it. :P
For playing over 34 years, it becomes part of your life. Damn is my age showing? LOL :wink: And when that part of life is taken, it can be hard. I almost lost hope a few times, wondering what I would do. I even started having anger issues :x
Somehow I got through those moments, and realized there is no way I would lose the love for the drum and drumming.

I just need to visit Congaplace more to keep my spirits up!! :mrgreen:

T
Tonio

Postby Mike » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:13 pm

Tonio wrote:Thanks for all the positive thoughts, I really appreciate it. :P
For playing over 34 years, it becomes part of your life. Damn is my age showing? LOL :wink: And when that part of life is taken, it can be hard. I almost lost hope a few times, wondering what I would do. I even started having anger issues :x
Somehow I got through those moments, and realized there is no way I would lose the love for the drum and drumming.

I just need to visit Congaplace more to keep my spirits up!! :mrgreen:

T
My two thumbs up for your fighting spirit and attitude, Tonio, respect!
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby bongosnotbombs » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:13 pm

Mike wrote:
Those skins look very nice, is it goat on macho?

No I'm pretty sure it's not goat, it is a great skin though. The hembra was pretty tough to put on due to it's thickness and the tight tolerances on the Resolution hembra. Just waiting for it to dry.
bongosnotbombs

Postby Mike » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:13 am

bongosnotbombs wrote:No I'm pretty sure it's not goat, it is a great skin though. The hembra was pretty tough to put on due to it's thickness and the tight tolerances on the Resolution hembra. Just waiting for it to dry.

I see. The L&H calf skin on my El Piernas has also got this whiteish color, but not as white as yours.
nice L&H skins.JPG
P1060747.JPG

Awesound sound anyway. Unfortunately I have to sell it, too many toys around and I need the cash.
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby Ernesto Pediangco » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:51 am

I hope L & H guys, do continued research on the old school providers of skins & hides from Chicago, such as AMROCO / American Rawhide Company. They had a great product to assist customers of calf heads, which was a selection of card stock in several gauge thicknesses relating to ideal uses for tympani, snare drums, toms, bass drums etc. I used to send some end cuts / left overs of tucking heads, to sources in Peru,where they matched the same head weight / gauges to the samples I sent for specific use of bongos,tanbora, conga or tumba or quinto of corresponding flat circle cuts. This way I elininated mix matched heads on a set of drums. I always prefer 2 or 3 or more heads from a single cow or calf which has been selectively measured for thickness appropriate to my needs. A 3 conga set would share tonal responce, color & quality of the hides. L & H is the only American source still doing this specialized service for Conga / bongo drummers & other ethnic drums requiring natural hides. I prefer non bleached / non pre stretched heads for my playing style. The softer duller toned heads / stretched white heads, are too dead even though they sound tonal, they are not bright or cutting. If I want more softer tones, I adjust my playing volume. My drums produce tone & I produce volume. The correct head is important to me. This is why I do not use Asian Bison heads that they they claim hand select heads !? Well all heads are hand selected and handles. but the quality control is not there, that why new Asian drum sets have mix matched heads w/ incorrect thicknesses comming off a shelf full of pre mounted heads, put on drums in assembly line fashion. Whatever fits and looks like a finished product, is good enough for shipping. The models are all bunched up and sent out but not nessesarily as a tuned set of matching drums w/ ideal heads per drum, per set of drums. Every conga player desreves a cowhide or Steer hide drumhead experience ! Every timbalero or set player deserves a calf skin head experience ! L & H has rawhides covered ! As long as the heads are not comming from a rendering plant where they may rot & carry bacteria ( like some Pakistani sources ) ! :) I would even travel to Texas & offer my employment as a head tucking guy to make pre mounted heads for non standard & standard sized drums and help L & H develope a new process of patent worthy heads that are the next level of specialized natural heads ! I believe in L & H !
Ernesto Pediangco

Postby msb501clave » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:16 pm

Thanks for the kind and encouraging words we ( L&H ) are trying to do the best we can to provide the world with a quality product and quality service. rawhide is not a perfect science and as such we work with each client to ensure 100% satisfaction. Our hope is that in an industry which lacks the customer care and product innovations we bring change in one small segment.

Dont forget to check out our (2) Facebook pages as well as our .com & blog for updates, interesting gear for sale and specials. We always run specials email or call to check em out or just to chat....

Michael
(908) 419-7364
www.landhpercussion.com

Ernesto Pediangco wrote:I hope L & H guys, do continued research on the old school providers of skins & hides from Chicago, such as AMROCO / American Rawhide Company. They had a great product to assist customers of calf heads, which was a selection of card stock in several gauge thicknesses relating to ideal uses for tympani, snare drums, toms, bass drums etc. I used to send some end cuts / left overs of tucking heads, to sources in Peru,where they matched the same head weight / gauges to the samples I sent for specific use of bongos,tanbora, conga or tumba or quinto of corresponding flat circle cuts. This way I elininated mix matched heads on a set of drums. I always prefer 2 or 3 or more heads from a single cow or calf which has been selectively measured for thickness appropriate to my needs. A 3 conga set would share tonal responce, color & quality of the hides. L & H is the only American source still doing this specialized service for Conga / bongo drummers & other ethnic drums requiring natural hides. I prefer non bleached / non pre stretched heads for my playing style. The softer duller toned heads / stretched white heads, are too dead even though they sound tonal, they are not bright or cutting. If I want more softer tones, I adjust my playing volume. My drums produce tone & I produce volume. The correct head is important to me. This is why I do not use Asian Bison heads that they they claim hand select heads !? Well all heads are hand selected and handles. but the quality control is not there, that why new Asian drum sets have mix matched heads w/ incorrect thicknesses comming off a shelf full of pre mounted heads, put on drums in assembly line fashion. Whatever fits and looks like a finished product, is good enough for shipping. The models are all bunched up and sent out but not nessesarily as a tuned set of matching drums w/ ideal heads per drum, per set of drums. Every conga player desreves a cowhide or Steer hide drumhead experience ! Every timbalero or set player deserves a calf skin head experience ! L & H has rawhides covered ! As long as the heads are not comming from a rendering plant where they may rot & carry bacteria ( like some Pakistani sources ) ! :) I would even travel to Texas & offer my employment as a head tucking guy to make pre mounted heads for non standard & standard sized drums and help L & H develope a new process of patent worthy heads that are the next level of specialized natural heads ! I believe in L & H !
msb501clave

Postby MedinaNYC » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:56 am

Another very satisfied customer here. Great skin, great communication, i look forward to doing business again,

thanks
MedinaNYC

Postby b0ng0 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:24 pm

michael (L&H) is a great person & businessman,
he hooked me up with some great mule & cow skins, they arrived quick, i recommend his products to anyone, and i also look foward to buying in the future...
b0ng0

Previous

Return to Open Discussion