"The Drummer's Diary" - share w. us what happens to you drumming

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby ABAKUA » Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:54 am

*continued from previous page* :)

Thanks for the support guys, I just got a mastered copy sent to me on email, sounds pretty good, I wouldve like the congas to be a bit louder in the mix, but the engineer and PEPSI wanted it like its been mixed, so gotta live with it, still sounds ok, very electronic kind of hip hop/funky type groove with raps and my percussion in different sections of the tune. I like it. Sounds different/original.

Will keep y'all posted as soon as Im allowed to air it, PEPSI need to officially release it before I go sharing it around.

Edited By ABAKUA on 1131076566
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby rumbaman » Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:36 pm

Hey hope everyone is doin' ok . Congratulations abakua on your work with pepsi , they picked the right man for the job .

rumbaman :cool:
rumbaman

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Nov 05, 2005 5:11 pm

Hi Yoni ..here is a photo of "Marty" in Central park playing one of his famous self made chekeres.... :D "JC" Johnny Conga...

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... Chekere_CP
JohnnyConga

Postby yoni » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:36 pm

Thanks Johnny for this blast from the past. Now I know I've seen "Marty" and think I got to see you too at one time or another!

Nothing like those "Rumba Wars" in Central Park! A lot more fun than seeing some wars of the "Savage Nomads", "Royal Javelins", "Black Spades" and others who sported their colors around that time and a little later...
Yoni
yoni

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:41 am

Here is Marty's "hand carved" jimbe. He would never let anyone play his instruments .He was adamant about that..."JC" Johnny Conga

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... shed_jimbe
JohnnyConga

Postby yoni » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:36 am

JohnnyConga wrote:Here is Marty's "hand carved" jimbe. He would never let anyone play his instruments .He was adamant about that..."JC" Johnny Conga

I can understand Marty's view. My pops was the same way. Instruments can be very personal things, I guess moreso when you make them yourself. Beautiful drum!
yoni

Postby ABAKUA » Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:50 am

Hey all, thread revival time!

Here's what ive been up to...

The Pepsi thing is going great, alots happening there.
The TIC TAC commercial I did goes live to TV next month..
Freelancing with DJ gigs, as well as the rumba group we have, keeping busy..
The band Im working with has also been rehearsing 6-7 hour days once and twice a week at times, sounding very tight, the recording is finished and currently in production, sounds awesome. The website is under construction as well.
Plenty of great gigs happening for me locally over the next few days/weeks etc..
We have a tour of New Zealand happening in April, some trips to other states in Aus also I think.. So thankfully have been keeping busy.

And just now, got off the phone with the casting agency which I did the TIC TAC tv commercial through (see open discussion section for pics from the day), they want me to come in for a casting audition for a TV commerical for Capital 1 finance/credit card company.
Apparently I will be auditioning for the part of a scary Latino street stall vendor.. :laugh: :D Oh well... Hopefully I get it, its great fun and excellent $$$$$$.
Supposedly the ad will be played in USA/Canada and Puerto Rico from what Ive heard.. yet to be confirmed.

Peace and love to all in 2006! May this year bring you all tonnes of work and positive affirmation! :cool:

Edited By ABAKUA on 1136559883

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... _Image.JPG
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby mco » Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:09 pm

Abukua,
Congratulations and I hope the Capital1 ad plays in the USA. Keep us updated.
BTW, I notice that you are playing seated in your photo above! :) :) :) :)
mco
mco

Postby ABAKUA » Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:14 pm

hehehe yeh mco! thanks for the kind words, that pic was taken around 2 years ago when we scored a gig in Vanuatu (tropical island in the Pacific Ocean) we had a rumba on the beach before the gig. (Played on stands for the gig) :laugh:
I should've cleared up in that other thread, that when gigging, I always play standing. Rumba, folkloric gatherings, ceremonies etc play sitting, unless on Chekere, Clave or Palitos, very rare though, cause Im always on a drum. :D

Edited By ABAKUA on 1136560506
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby ABAKUA » Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:37 am

ABAKUA wrote:And just now, got off the phone with the casting agency which I did the TIC TAC tv commercial through (see open discussion section for pics from the day), they want me to come in for a casting audition for a TV commerical for Capital 1 finance/credit card company.
Apparently I will be auditioning for the part of a scary Latino street stall vendor.. :laugh: :D Oh well... Hopefully I get it, its great fun and excellent $$$$$$.
Supposedly the ad will be played in USA/Canada and Puerto Rico from what Ive heard.. yet to be confirmed.

Update!!

Well after my intial casting audition, I was called back for a 2nd look, and later that day told I was number one favourite for the part...
However they were having somewhat of a difficult time casting a suitable actress to play the part of my mother in the ad.. So I rang my mum and asked her if she would be interested in auditioning for the part, she said yes :D So I went in with her today to the casting agency and we both went through the part, I find out later tonight if she got it, but it was confirmed that I was successful in getting my part!! :cool:
I have wardobe check tommorrow at the movie studio and shooting will be later in the week.

Basically its for Capital One (Finance/Credit Cards), I cant leak too much info re the plot of the ad, but I play a scary latino looking thug who is running a street/market stall, with my mother cooking stuff behind me, this guy (main actor in the ad) comes up to me and in broken spanish reading from a dictionary he mistakenly and unware insults my mother, I growl a bit, slam the table and grab him by the shirt and drag him towards me, then drag him away kicking and screaming like he is to be 'dealt with' by myself hehehehe.
There are a few different scenes in the ad, that part is just my bit.
It will air in the USA, Canada, Puerto Rico and on the internet possibly, on free to air, pay tv for 12 month option, possibly longer.

Should be great fun, excellent opportunity to strengthen some relationships with these contacts and make new contacts also, as well as the $$$$ being absolutly fantastic.

I will get pics from the day when we shoot the Ad to post up like I did from the TIC TAC commercial.

Cheers! :laugh:

Edited By ABAKUA on 1137479904
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby windhorse » Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:43 pm

Abakua, that's awesome!
Our school made it in the new Frontier airlines commercial! There's a school that raised money to send Flip to Mexico - Louisville Middle School, and that's us!
I just saw it last night, so it's on now.
windhorse

Postby GuruPimpi » Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:03 am

Hello guys!

I see that you are all, like onile uses to say, in abundance of blessing! :D

I'm more silent past few months, cause my connection is bad and I am pretty stressed with everything, but it's OK.

I would like to share with you and diary, that today we, my band are leaving my hometown to record an album in studio.

I'm very thrilled and can hardly wait to do groove this, cause... ahhh, you know, we gonna make our first musical baby :D

I packed my gear yesterday and it was for the first time that i saw my gear all in one spot, and i got so proud, that the stress how we gonna put it all in the cars, in a way, vanished (4 congas, bongos, djembe, Doumbek, Handsonic, I'll pack my ownmade Udu today, stands, noisy and groovy toys...).

I must say that also because of that forum and you, CraZy GrooveMakin' Lunatics, my knowledge of Groove have improved and got my scale on the self fortune scale got higher! Thank You All very very much!
Onile, JC, Abakua, Akdom, Berimbau, Yoni, Bataboom, CongaMyk, Dice, Isaac... Sorry for all I missed to mention cause of the enthusiasm and joy that I feel in this early hour, You guys are the best. I'm goona mention you in 'thank yous' section...

Most crazy thing happened on one of our last gigs; one french couple made a little video footage as a documentary of our gig, and I watched it yesterday and ...WAW! I really fell good about our band, considering the fact that we were having some communicational problems, we solve it by the table with an open discussion. Many words from this threads helped to achieve constructive agreements, thanks for that too, guys!

Igor, I'll respond to your mail soon, don't worry! :D

I hope, i'll be able to put some pics on forum, when we come back next week and some music... I hope the website will be born soon too...

We gotta make Groove flowin'!

See Ya, Hear Ya, Feel Ya, Salute Ya ALL!

Yours truly,

Primozz
GuruPimpi

Postby onile » Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:28 am

Alafia Abure Gurupimpi!
I am most certainly blessed to hear this about you and your band. Let me be among the first to say how proud I am of your musical achievements! It is apparent that you too are in an abundance of wonderful blessings my brother!

While I read your post, I could sense the 'anticipation' and 'excitement' that you are feeling! I'm very sure that you and your band will have a wonderful time giving birth to this new project of yours! Please, remember to take pictures of your adventure and post them as soon as you can, I for one am anxious to see them.

I wish you and your band many blessings my brother! Keep the beat going on!

Your brother!
Onile!
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby Igor » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:14 am

I wish you all the best in the studio and, first of all, be patient! Just focus on your groovy mission !

I`am looking forward to reading your e-mail again !

Heart in timing, soul in imagination, that`s all you need !

Igor :;):
Life is rhythm, listen to yourself !
Igor

Postby GuruPimpi » Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:58 pm

Hi guys!

I hope the connection won't fail me, since i have problems with my d-link...

Thank You all a lot with the good, positive and groovy vibrations, I appreciated really a lot!

Back from studio few days ago, straight to work and i must say that it was ... whew a lot of everything that goes with it... Results are good, we need to mix the tracks and more i'll tell you next time, I'm way too mixed head right this moment :D

We recorded a lot, 20 songs in 5 days so... Sleep, that's what i need right now!

PICS of studio session are not scaned yet... Hope to get some digital pics from a french friend of mine!

Igor, i'll definetely write you an email JUTRI :D ok? Sm ti ga pisal zadnjic doma, pa mi je i-net vezo vn vrglu, pa nism shranil...

Groove On You GrooveFull Maniacs!!!

Pimpi
GuruPimpi

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion