Looking for advice

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Looking for advice

Postby Greensail » Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:33 am

Been VERY quiet here but hope everyone has been playing regularly with infectious grooves. I have been. Anyway, looking for some advice.

I've been playing with new group of mates doing mostly traditional jazz. (Keyboard, guitar, sax, flute, trumpet, and me.) Jazz - without a bass ??? Yeah, makes it tough. We only have an occasional kit drummer so much of the time I tend to be the time keeper and it is needed with this group. Been finding my way with what rhythms fit with various tunes.
Anyway, we have been doing Miles Davis - All Blues which is 3/4 time although I tend to count it as 6. Have a pretty good feel for the timing but not really satisfied with the base rhythm which I've tended toward a preponderance of bass notes. I've been working on it for some time but not all that happy. Any suggestions from this learned and experienced group? Any recommendations for a 3/4 rhythm?
All the best.
Greensail

Re: Looking for advice

Postby Thomas Altmann » Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:36 am

Hi Greensail,

here's one pattern that I play for 3/4 tunes:

cg-waltz.jpg
Waltz pattern for congas

The small note on the middle line is a palm, heel or bass stroke, the note without head is a finger stroke /time touch. The rest is clear. That's the notation I normally use.

If you are playing with the (original) swing feel, there's always a tendency towards a triplet or 9/8 movement. And you can easily apply the familiar triplet figure in the variation pattern anywhere you feel. And create more variations at your gusto on top of that.

Hope this helps,

Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Postby Greensail » Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:45 am

Thanks much Thomas. I'll give your suggestion a try. I have done a few waltzes (well only 2) but when I tried the patterns I had used, did not feel quite right. That said, it's Miles. He was pretty big on feeling. My favorite quote of his - If you don't make a mistake, it's a mistake!"

Been doing a good number of jazz tunes with these guys which has been challenging but very enjoyable. We have an INCREDIBLE keyboard player. New things to learn. Cannonball Adderly - Mercy, mercy, mercy, and Horace Silver- Song for my father have become some of my favorites.
Greensail

Postby Thomas Altmann » Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:20 am

Yes, these are popular jazz hits. They are almost like "I-don't-like-jazz-but-this-is-cool". Soul jazz or funk jazz ... in the 1990s it was called acid jazz or dancefloor jazz over here, and people would go to special discos to dance to it. As a young and rising set drummer I played in a band that was dedicated to a Horace Silver repertoire. And some of the first jazz numbers I played in my life were Cannonball Adderley tunes like "Jive Samba" or "Sack O'Woe" and all the stuff from the "Live at the Club" LP that also has "Mercy Mercy" on it. And I always wanted to play "Hippodelphia"; if I remember well, I couldn't find a lead sheet of it. That's a killer record - great drumming by Roy McCurdy, who I think is still alive. It was a fake live recording, by the way, as was Wes Montgomery's "Smoking at the Half Note": They had invited some friends to the studio to applaud!

It was only later that I realized that those simple numbers are deceivingly simple: If you don't play them with that soul that the Adderleys had a surplus of, they melt down to almost nothing ...

Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Return to Open Discussion