What music are you listening to at the moment?

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby akdom » Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:52 am

hi everyone

Lately, my choice was for people like batacumbele, late lazaro ros, the vol 1 & 2 of the cachao master series, zaperoko, tito puente, mongo santamaria, fania in general etc...
but also, some ben harper, sergent garcia, some calypso ....

see ya

Big B
akdom

Postby windhorse » Sun Mar 06, 2005 6:43 am

Tonight at the Boulder Theater was Chuchito Valdes and his Afro-Cuban Ensemble!!
It really rocked the house!!!

Quite the repertoire of Jazz, Son, Modern Mambo, Rumba Clave, and even a section of 6/8 with short bell and singing to Ellegua!

The sound was fab! And all this after a day of drumming in the sun at the park! Life couldn't be much better!!

Dave
windhorse

Postby Isaac » Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:12 pm

Today I'm relaxing with
a compilation of FAJARDO' s hits from the 50s.
I used to see Fajardo a few times a year
in NYC, and always enjoyed this Charanga band's
relaxing swing. He passed on a few years ago.
~ ISAAC
Isaac

Postby CongaTick » Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:42 pm

Paoli Mejias. Can't get enough of him for now.
CongaTick

Postby ABAKUA » Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:46 pm

Tonight, its a bit of:

Charanga Habanera
Klimax
OPUS 13
Trabuco
Osvaldo Chacon
Azucar Negra

Edited By ABAKUA on 1112197601
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby Jongo » Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:47 pm

I have been listening to Sergent Garcia, Los Orishas a Cuban hip hop group, John Santos, Francisco Aguabella, P18- a Cuban group that combines jazz, and hip hop with traditional Afro-Cuban drumming, not really something for purists. Of course Mongo Santamaria, Tito Puente, and Celia Cruz, the big three for me! Let's see who else, James Brown, Bob Marley, Marc Anthony, Grupo Afro Boricua, Poncho Sanchez, Johnny Blas,Yerba Buena, and Wycleff. I almost left out Ozomatli, and the Kumbia Kings, they are a guilty pleasure
Jongo

Postby ralph » Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:49 pm

Milton Cardona's: Cambucha,
he got some bad!! drummers on that album. Young guys too...
Also Alfredo Rodriguez: Alfredo Rodirguez y Los Acereko, album. w/ Tata Guines, Bobby Carcasses, Changuito, and thers, very well done album, and extremely well played, but then again look at the lineup.
ralph

Postby mco » Thu May 26, 2005 10:48 am

Some percussion-oriented discs I've been listening to lately:

Candido and Graciela: "Inolvidable" (Chesky SACD)

Pink Martini: "Hang on Little Tomato"

Steve Winwood: "About Time"

Luis Garay Percussion World: "Sacumba"

mco
mco

Postby slapadrum » Fri May 27, 2005 3:24 am

Ben harper has been in my player lately I only have burn to shine but it's got a nice variety of hand drums I also like dave mathews band.I just started playing congas recently I have been playing djembe ashiko and doumbeks mostly.
slapadrum

Postby otto » Fri May 27, 2005 1:09 pm

Hello all
There has been some great music listed here.
We have a light staff today so I brought in some music of different types.
I am listening to Jon Lucien which some of you may know.
I am talking about his " O Mind's Eye" and "Rashida" works
I am not sure who the drum brothers are on this cd's but the percussion is great especially on cuts "Listen Love" "Shana"
and others. Jon is from Tortola, Virgin Islands, Maybe some of of you can tell me who the drummers are.

PS JC how are your projects comming CD etc.

Peace to all
Otto
otto

Postby ralph » Fri May 27, 2005 5:27 pm

if i can recall, Frankie Malabe played percussion on Rashida and a couple of other albums. Frankie is a legend when speaking of latin percussionists, originally from El Barrio (i believe) of Puerto Rican descent. He has played with all the legends in music, he was the conguero for many of the notable descarga records of the 60's & 70's. He played bata, and also revolutionized afro cuban rhythms and how they are played on traps...Frankie was one of the greats, and he passed a while ago. To tell you the truth when speaking of great congueros of that era, in my opinion Frankie is often overlooked.
On a side note, the first time i heard Jon Lucien sing, i was taken back, such and original voice, and style, i was hooked from then on.

Edited By ralph on 1117215017
ralph

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri May 27, 2005 11:54 pm

My good buddy Steve Thornton is on the album "Minds Eye" by Jon Lucien. He now lives in Singapore with his wife and children. Frankie Malabe was on his first album. Well as far as my projects , I just finished up Co-producing and recording a new album with a new Seattle band "Yogi and the Yoginees", kinda World Beat album. I am now planning on doing my learning DVD-CONGA-ROBICS. I plan on going into start filming it in about a week or two. My lawyer has finally drafted my contract for a company to sign and develop my "accessorie invention" for conga drums, bongos, timbales and drum set. Which I hope to be out by this summer. I will let everybody know when the product is on the market, and available. I have been very busy teaching and also getting ready for a very heavy summer of gigs with the new band Im in TYPE A..www.typeaband.com chek them out......more to come.....paz..."JC" Johnny Conga....

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... _2_032.jpg
JohnnyConga

Postby Isaac » Sat May 28, 2005 6:52 am

This week I've been listening to Fajardo, Joe Cuba,
some Jibaro music, Ritmo Oriental, Mongo, Maraca, and a few times I played (while driving) the late Martin Arroyo with his band Soneros del Barrio - a great group that has continued with singer - Frankie Vazquez. ( check out Siguiendo La Tradicion) Its a hard driving Salsa Dura recording with some super funky bass by Johnny Benitez, and Richie
Bastar on percussion. The singer, Frankie Vazquez, is well known from Manny Oquendo's Libre. It should be
available from Descarga.com.
~ ISAAC ~
Isaac

Postby Mike » Sat May 28, 2005 11:26 am

It´s always the best music one comes back to again and again: CAL TJADER is the real thing. His Best of album(s) - there´s two of them at Fantasy records - are amazing!!

I also cast an ear on the new CD by Cuban-French rap group "Orishas", named El Kilo, but I was slightly disappointed. Compared to earlier albums, some of the songs sounded too commercial to me, like the stuff you hear in restaurants. Some tracks are awesome, though.
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby Diceman » Sat May 28, 2005 3:56 pm

Hi my brothers.
Has anyone checked out Carlinhos Brown from North Brazil, he clearly listens to music from outside of Brazil and turns into his own. Any one got a tumbau drum in their collection, great range of sounds and light as a feather.
TTFN
Diceman
Diceman

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion