CONGAS TO DARBUKA

Use this forum to discuss about all the other percussions and/or to suggest a new specified forum to add

CONGAS TO DARBUKA

Postby CongaTick » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:54 pm

Anybody make the transitional addition of darbuka to their conga/bongo armory? I'm seriously considering it, but a little intimidated by the learning curve.
CongaTick

Re: CONGAS TO DARBUKA

Postby Jerry Bembe » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:47 pm

Tick,

I am no expert here but I have some first hand experience.

I recomend the Alexandria Darbuka with 6 tuning screws (about 10 1/2"). It has a nice rounded edge so it is easy on the hands. These Alexandria Darbukas are sometimes ugly but they are the best.

In my younger days, I had the brass and steel models that were not Alexandria and they are much harder on the hands due to the rim. These look nicer but I sold all of these years ago and I only have one Darbauka (it is all I woulde ever need).

The rhythms for the Tar and Daf work very nicely on the Darbuka.
Jerry Bembe

Postby Psych1 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:35 am

I've got these + a few others. I like the weight of the brass. Learning curve lasts forever. like Bata. But worth it. Start over - get a teacher. Better yet - come to Turkey.
Attachments
IMG_0110.JPG
Psych1

Postby p.a.dogs1 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:51 am

p.a.dogs1

Postby Skulmoski » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:26 pm

I prefer the doumbek over the darbouka; it is easier to get the slaps I am used to with a conga.

GJS
Skulmoski

Postby bongosnotbombs » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:43 pm

My stepfather is Turkish and has been taking doumbek lessons recently. Apparently there is a "Mid-East" percussion camp in Mendocino California. He always gets me to play some basic part for him to play to. The doumbek is a great instrument, but I do find the technique a little vexing. I kind of feel it's a little more similar to bongo technique than conga technique. Go for it, seems like a very versatile instrument with a whole new world of rhythms.
bongosnotbombs

Postby congamyk » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:12 pm

Skulmoski wrote:I prefer the doumbek over the darbouka; it is easier to get the slaps I am used to with a conga.
GJS

Yes, I prefer doumbek also for sound and playability. I have the meinl.
You can also pickup an introductory video at most percussion stores to get started.
congamyk

Postby serdarbagtir » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:06 pm

serdarbagtir

Postby yoni » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:03 pm

Hi Dave,

Been a long time, way too long. I hope all is well by you. I began adding Middle Eastern drums to my "arsenal" over 20 years ago and I play more darbuka than congas lately. Nothing like the sounds of congas and bongos, and I keep playing them, but must admit darbuka is easier to carry around. :)

Also must admit I'm not sure of the difference between darbuka and doumbek... in the Middle East I hear darbukas mainly called as such but also referred to as doumbeks and even tablas... the drums' names, like playing styles and rhythms, seem to vary between areas, even though many drums and rhythms are basically the same internationally... ie. "malfouf" in the Mid East, "funga" in parts of W. Africa and "ragamuffin" in the Caribbean are essentially the same rhythm....

Hope you enjoy this clip of soloing back and forth in a 7/8 time, with a bro of mine on djembe and me on a giant daholla (bass darbuka) made of clay with goatskin head:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biEob61H9KU
yoni

Postby CongaTick » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:18 pm

Yoni, Yoni, Yoni.....so good to hear from you...and of course the posted vid of you and your bro in 7/8 solos is well....just overwhelming. About two months ago I incorporated a darbuka into my armory and use it quite often. It brings a whole new crisp dynamic, and you're right about the gig handiness. I use my own technique which has little relationship to traditional darbuka technique and it works well for me. I continue practicing doubles in the vain hope that somewhere in the distant future they will have a continuity of roll that is flawless. So glad to see/hear from you. Stay well, master.
CongaTick

Postby burke » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:36 pm

Well I took the plunge and bought a cheap little darbuka. I found [as Yoni pointed out] the names darbuka/dumbek seem to be like lager and ale - both are beer :)

As you see its a small one with lugs and if I stick with it I will upgrade to the rounded rim type. Mine came with the ring flush with the rim but it only took a few minutes to take it off and reset the skin. There seems to be quite a few online lessons which is a start and good enough for me for now. I'm mostly looking at this fellows for now - nice clear instruction and a good 'vibe'.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLpablRicOc
Question for Yoni. I'm holding it the way one is supposed to on my leg, but is it considered bad/wrong/utter sacrilege to hold it like a djembe between the legs?

Cheers

Darrell
Attachments
Darbuka.jpg
Burke
burke

Postby yoni » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:04 pm

Great to hear back from you, CongaTick, and nice to know we're still drumming away. :D

Darrell, it sure isn't traditional to hold a darbuka between the legs... but personally I'm no traditionalist, using some conga and other techniques on darbuka, and also used to hold darbuka between the legs. Then got used to holding it on the thigh and like it better that way now. But hey, I've also seen them mounted on stands, both vertically and horizontally. Whatever works for one, I say.

Just wouldn't recommend turning it upside down and filling it with water... unless it has a plastic head. 8)
yoni

Postby burke » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:25 am

yoni wrote:Just wouldn't recommend turning it upside down and filling it with water... unless it has a plastic head. 8)

Well there goes my plans for the evening!
:D

Thanks Yoni
Burke
burke

Postby yoni » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:21 am

Sorry, burke!

:D
yoni

Postby gilbert » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:00 am

yoniiiiii