Got my Handsonic! - Got it, Man!!!

Use this forum to discuss about all the other percussions and/or to suggest a new specified forum to add

Postby GuruPimpi » Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:18 pm

Yeah, a proud new owner of electronic futuristic cartoon sci-fi percussion toy! Ordered by Chewbacca! :D

Said to myself:,, Paid of my due to Meinl Woodcrafts, bought some LP percussion effects, got a couple of good and well paid gigs, put in some Extra from salary and awarded myself, (me - the electronic and cable ignorant), with a Handsonic - GEEEZ, Chewbacca is all over me!!!!! :D

Had to share that joy and pride with You Guys!

Over and out!

Got to go and make some cosmic groove with that!!!!

:D

Primoz
GuruPimpi

Postby GuruPimpi » Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:20 pm

A Pic....Poc...BLAMmmmmM... krsssssssssss!

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... 15_big.jpg
GuruPimpi

Postby Diceman » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:17 pm

Congratulations GP,
You will not regret it, it is more serious than it looks.
Now, read the manual, play around with it, set it up for your way of playing and you will be amazed, it is a very funky tool.

Try this link for some useful stuff
http://www.chromakinetics.com/handsonic/

Diceman
Diceman

Postby congamyk » Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:26 am

NICE.... best wishes with that.

I'm still learning the ropes with mine and bought the 15 stand since I play standing up mostly.
congamyk

Postby onile » Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:59 am

Alafia Abures!
Pardon my ignorance, but this looks like some serious techno stuff here! Do you use it along with your rigg? or does it replace it?

I do remember seeing Roberto Roena attempt to play one but there seemed to be some technical difficulties, on the Bobby Valentin DVD 35th Anniverary. He was trying to get a bongo sound out of it while playing his bongos as well!

I know that I get as excited as a "teenager on prom night" whenever I get a new piece of equipment :D Enjoy it GuruPimpi!:p

Many blessings!

Onile!
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby GuruPimpi » Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:45 am

Good morning, guys!

I've taken my handsonic home at 6:00 pm, plug it in and been playing and discovering it till 2:30 am. Still, don't know 20% of what is capable to make. but still... :D Geeez, more than I have expected. I also found out that it is more right handed friendly made (conga for example), but i must find the way how to change the pads sound... working on that.

Diceman thanks for the link, i'll need it, since i am really a non electronic machines anti talent for programming.

After work - Straight home - Plug it in... and....

congamyk, i've ordered a stand too (PDS-25), but they sended pds2, stand for some other pad. I am also thinking of buying Thon hpd15 case, a bit expensive, but i think i'll need it for live gigs and transporting to studio.

Onile, yeah, it's like a date with a Prom Queen :D

Guys, any of your own tips for easy using or playing - you're the best!

BTW - playing hpd15 is developing some other techniques too...

Thanks a lot and now off to my social work with a youngsters ...
:D

Primozz
GuruPimpi

Postby Diceman » Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:45 pm

Onile, I use mine to supplement my rig, for example you can get a drum and snare groove going with the left hand while shaking a real shaker, twatting a real cencerro or playing tumbao on a conga with the left. In the Brasilian band I use it for Samba Reggae surdos, cuica, tamborim, etc, and even the berimbau sounds good, it means I dont have to buy a van. Great for working on new material with all those instruments at your disposal, you can find the right one to use.

GP, the travelling case is a good idea, it was a bit of an oversight that Roland have made such a great instrument not very robust, and gigging will make it look tatty very quickly. On technique, try doing grooves with the thumb and fingers of the same hand on different pads, eg thumb does bass drum, fingers do snare, an adapted pandeiro technique. you may have to move sounds on pads around (and save them) to get the technique comfortable.

Takes a while, but like all good things, practice makes perfect.

I also feel that proper percussionistas who convert, will get more out of it than a drummer or programmer.

My two Handsonics worth (if I may take the liberty of adapting JCs words)

Sabor
Diceman
Diceman

Postby onile » Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:55 pm

Alafia Diceman!
Thanks for the explanation! Wow! it sounds like the application is, almost limitless to a rig!
That is excellent, how much do they normally run in cost?

Many blessings my friend!
Onile!
onile

Postby GuruPimpi » Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:46 pm

Diceman!

U r a truly Handsonic friendly user!

I will use your suggestions 100%, first i need to understand how to deal with, cause as i said, i don't really understand the manual and i'm having troubles with changing the sounds on pads.

for example: why the sound of instruments is not changed in the last group of effects (LFO); is it only for loops or sequences? It's propably a piece of cake for you, but for me it's riding a Han Solo's ship.

I'll learn in time, a bit frustrating though...

Onile:
The price for it is abot 1000 euros, $, depends...

prtzuuuu!!!

Primoz
GuruPimpi

Postby Diceman » Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:37 pm

Onile,
It is worth looking on ebay, there are a few out there bought by drummers and others, who just didnt read the manual and didnt get the best out of them. I got mine for £400 ($500) that way, and when I picked it up the manual fell out of the original box still in the sealed bag, much to the surprise of the seller.

GP,
To save any changes you must be in User mode (press and light up the User button) then press edit twice, you can then edit away using the knobs and change every perameter you want, then save it all by pressing 'write'.
Have you got the select button pressed with the light next to the perameter lit?

You do have to spend some time reading the manual and playing with it, or you will miss out on some important stuff. You will become a 'techie' in no time.....

May the force be with you

Diceman
Diceman

Postby GuruPimpi » Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:53 pm

Diceman!

Thanks a lot!

About the select button: yes it's in the lowest part but the sound of conga doesn't change when i turn the knob, i press the pad before just like with the sweep for instance, but there's no response. I'll check it up!

Good price man!!! :D

Keep the Groove,

Primoz
GuruPimpi

Postby onile » Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:01 pm

Yo Brothers!
So tell me, is there a 'bongo bell' pattern in this gizmo?

Suave!
Onile!
onile

Postby GuruPimpi » Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:11 pm

Not just one!

I mean it's... pot drum, orchestra percussion, kalimba, ahhh... even sci fi and cartoon sounds...
CRAZY!

p.
GuruPimpi

Postby congamyk » Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:04 am

The Handsonic is pretty cool.... imagine having tabla, udu, timbales, pandiero, bongo, chimes, shakers, bells and practically anything else a conguero might have to buy and carry to a gig. It's ALL in there at only 10 lbs!

I bring conga, tumba and handsonic to gigs. Sometines I'll set the handsonic in the middle and use it as the quinto... or set it to the left side and play the accessories on it. I play sax and sing also so it really cuts back the amount of equipment I have to bring.

The first adjustment I made to the handsonic is to tone down the sensitivity on the 2 (heel-tip) left hemisphere pads. They tended to be too loud when I played heel-tip so I softened them down perfectly. I'm still learning the sequencer but here is a question... on the pattern play, how do I turn dow the background groove in the mix? The backing sequencer tends to be playing way too loud over my actual real-time playing.

Edited By congamyk on 1127952342
congamyk

Postby GuruPimpi » Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:15 pm

Congamyk!

I agree with you about sequencer mix and real time playing and I'm sorry that I can't be of any help with that. It seems you just have to hit it harder... ???
I bought hi hat controller (roland PD-8) and I plugged it onto it, and it's cool, but I have to figure out how to get the hihat control, now I just have the foot pedal effect, but not the hit(with a hand)&lift(with a foot) sound...

Congamyk, do you use kick pedal with the handsonic?

BTW, How's the conga which you bought?

Groove On!

Primoz
GuruPimpi

Next

Return to Other instruments