berimbao - technics

Use this forum to discuss about all the other percussions and/or to suggest a new specified forum to add

Postby Tablaji71 » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:21 am

hi! im looking for material about berimbao
does anyone can advice me book, video or links where can i find something?
thanks
fabrizio
Tablaji71

Postby Berimbau » Sat Mar 26, 2005 2:42 am

Dear Tablaji,
Unfortunately there is a real serious lack of how to information on the berimbau in English. With the exception of Kay Shaffer's dissertation, most of the Portuguese sources feature poor transcriptions at best. Now in the second addition of his Capoeira: A Brazilian Art Form (Berkeley:North Atlantic Books 1986), Bira Almeida reprints some of Kay's toques.
A bilingual Portuguese/English resource is A Percussao Dos Ritmos Brasileiros Volume 1 Berimbau (Edicao Europa1990) by Luiz Almeida Da Anunciacao.
Now I was fortunate enough to study with Nana Vasconcelos when we were both living in NYC and I have transcriptions of some of his innovative rhythms. I have also authored a number of journal articles on the berimbau's history and development You may e-mail me if you want to dig a little deeper.

Saludos,

Berimbau
Berimbau

Postby Tablaji71 » Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:45 pm

YEEEAHH! thank you very much berimbao!
3 day ago i found some rythms for berimbao in a capoeira site, but im a lot interested to having some some basic technical exercises, you can halp me?
i have found also the site one where they sell the book volume one on the berimbau, i think to will proceed to purchase. im sending you a message with my personal e-mail.
let me know if i can reciprocate the favor in some way.
thanks
ciao
fabrizio
fabrizio
Tablaji71

Return to Other instruments