Colombian Instruments! - Caja, Guache, Maracón!

Use this forum to discuss about all the other percussions and/or to suggest a new specified forum to add

Postby tamboricua » Wed Sep 17, 2003 3:05 pm

Hola Conuno, thanks for writing down the tambora pattern. I really appreciate! I have heard Colombianos referring to the "palitero" to the pattern the tambora plays on it's shell side or wood.

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby Conuno » Thu Sep 18, 2003 9:48 am

hi Jorge,

I didn't know it, but then I suppose it should be the variations of the basic pattern. For Cumbia there are few variations but if we talk for example about Chande, then we can discuss about paliteo, because the tambora has many variations.

Regards Conuno
Conuno

Postby CongaMan » Sat Sep 20, 2003 12:06 am

Great post guys, very interesting!

I will be very happy Conuno to work with you to correct or add new tradional conga pattern for Colombian rhythms into the CongaBook... let me know what you think...

Bye!
CongaMan
Site Admin

Postby Conuno » Mon Sep 22, 2003 9:42 am

Hi conga man,

I'm also interested. The problem is that I don't know how to post the notes in your book. I will waiting for your help !!

Regards Conuno
Conuno

Postby CongaMan » Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:43 pm

Hi Conuno,
I found very good the way used by Frank de Groot (CongaPlace community member) to write music.

You could use the same notation system and I will re-write the music with my software before adding to the CongaBook.

You can download the excel file by Frank at this page (see bottom) click here, let me know what you think!

Bye for now....
CongaMan
Site Admin

Postby Conuno » Mon Oct 06, 2003 11:03 am

Hi congaMan,

I'm working on it !! I will send you the file soon!

Regards Conuno
Conuno

Postby CongaMan » Mon Oct 06, 2003 10:29 pm

Great! :)
CongaMan
Site Admin

Postby Conuno » Mon Dec 29, 2003 10:38 am

Hi people,

I'm on-line again. Sorry that it took so long, but finally I have the written rhythm and now I want to send to you Congaman I had some problems with my computer, therefore I couldn't write before .

Greetings
Conuno

Postby zaragemca » Wed Jan 14, 2004 7:53 pm

good for Canuno in the Colombian instruments,just wanted to point out that Vallenato (meaning comming from the Valle),characteristically played with Accordeon,the Vallenato difference is not only in the Tempo,but in the approach of the percussion.I did play with Foncho Castelar(when he was around Houston),and have talked many times with Aniceto Molina when he was comming to play around here.They both are great Colombian musicians.

Edited By zaragemca on 1074121177
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby CongaCaja » Wed Jan 14, 2004 8:55 pm

Are these rhythms that Conuno is sending to CongaMan being published on this site somewhere? In the CongaBook?

Btw, since the CongaBook's rhythms are organized according to country, should the heading be "ColOmbia"...not "ColUmbia" ?

In addition to conga parts for colombian rhythms, I think it would be would be great if there were some technique primer (descriptions and photos of hand positions) for the caja drum such as that exist for congas and bongos. Personally, I've found it extremely hard to find any info about this instrument on the 'net.

CongaMan, if you think this is a good idea and you need any help, I'd be willing. I'm a software engineer with a digital camera, scanner, software tools and some knowledge. However, I'm not a caja expert and I would welcome any postings from those who might be experts on that instrument.

regards...

cjk
CongaCaja

Postby Conuno » Fri Jan 23, 2004 11:33 am

Hi,

Nice to know that there are people interested in colombian rhythms. To reforce the note of zaragemca, because in Colombia there many valeys "valles"

Vallenato means native of Valledupar in the Valle del Cesar.

For CongaCaja: I have already sent the cumbia rhythm to Congaman. It will published soon in the COLOMBIA section. The rhythm is quiet simple but you can trust on it. If you have further questions let me know them. (e.g. improvisation feeling)
I will try to send more rhythms from Colombia for publishing, but I need some time and to be sure about the rhythm structure.

That is really a border in this topic, there so few information available, even in Colombia. Therefore I don't want to publish a rhythm, if I don't be 100% sure about it. I know many of them and I know the feeling and the swing. But that is not enough to write them down. Anyway I really want to contribute in this sense.
CongaCaja I appreciate your interest and I hope to contact you as soon as I have further informaion about the Caja.

As I said, the problem is that most of rhythms belong to the oral tradition and haven't been investigated in an academic way.

That would be a good topic for Doctoral students !!!!!

Let's see what happen !
regards conuno

Edited By Conuno on 1074857718
Conuno

Postby CongaCaja » Fri Jan 23, 2004 4:05 pm

Thanks for the post conuno!

Yes, the colombian rhythms would be a good doctoral topic, but unfortunately I stopped my university after my masters (10 yrs ago). :) Unfortunately, I needed to get a job and pay bills. :p

I would appreciate anything that you have regarding Vallenato. I would really like to attend the Vallenato festival in Valledupar someday in the future. Hace mas que dos anos desde mi ultimo viaje a Colombia pero me imagino que voy a ir anuevo. me gusto mucho el pais.
http://home.earthlink.net/~kriese/travels/colombia/frameBrowser.html
http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph....r

Information is difficult to find here in San Francisco (California). However, I did find a shop that builds caja drums here. I am thinking to go there to ask if they know any local players.

thanks again... cjk
CongaCaja

Postby tamboricua » Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:28 pm

Congratulations Conuno! The Cumbia notation looks neat.

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby CongaCaja » Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:12 am

Conuno,

I have a couple of questions about the cumbia.

1) the part which is called "high conga" or llamador, has notes on different vertical levels in relation to the horizontal staff line. does this indicate that this player has should play more than one drum? if not, what does this indicate?

2) the "LT" (light touch) notes of the "high conga" have "x" for a note head. Is that intentional? Does it have any relation to the "x" note head that is typically used for a slap (which you used as well for the slaps of the "low conga").

gracias y saludos... cjk
CongaCaja

Postby Conuno » Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:22 am

Hi Conga Caja,

Sorry that I haven't written before.

1.) It is played in only one drum, and indicates that the upper line is played with the left hand. The middle and bottom line are simply for the right hand.
(sorry, the complexity of the notation, but it is due to the sofware package used, I wanted to generate a midi file, but finally it was not possible, or at least I coudn't).

2.) As mentioned before, it was written thinking on the midi file.
So, For the llamador the note (x) is NOT A SLAP, just a light touch as it is written.

For the Alegre the note (x) IS A SLAP !

I hope you follow me, please any question let me know !

regards Conuno

Edited By Conuno on 1078831409
Conuno

PreviousNext

Return to Other instruments