adufe, portuguese drum - does anybody know how to play

Use this forum to discuss about all the other percussions and/or to suggest a new specified forum to add

Postby pidoca » Thu Nov 06, 2003 4:44 am

Hi, i own an adufe, it is a square portuguese drum. skins on both sides.

does anybody know how to play it? or have any info on it?

anything would be appreciated.

God bless

richard
pidoca

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Nov 06, 2003 4:15 pm

Is there a handle on it or is it just square with no handle? i would assume you would need some type of "stick" maybe to strike it....JCJ OHNNY CONGA.....
JohnnyConga

Postby pidoca » Fri Nov 07, 2003 1:08 am

hi johnny. it is just square with no handle. it is played by your hands, but i am not sure off what to do with it. I guess i am looking for traditional rhythms, if there are any. I have experimented with using sticks etc.. and can get some sounds and rhythms happening, but nothing special.

pidoca
pidoca

Postby yalla » Mon Nov 24, 2003 1:18 pm

Hi there! The adufe is actually played with the hands, the technique is almost similar to other frame drums, i.e. with fingertips (usually the middle finger) for the open tones, the side of the thumb (or of the first finger) for the bass tone, the slap is made rotating the wrist and hitting towards the center of the drum with the side of the pinky and the tips of the other fingers, with the hand slightly cupped. Other sounds can be obtained, for instance: put the drum (vertical, obviously) on your leg while sitting, keep it in place with your left wrist and snap the middel finger against the head, very close to the rim. Or snap the pinky, the middle and the second fingers one immediately after the other, so taht to obtain a small roll (this is cllaed the "fillip" technique).
You can get many info and details on frame drums on Glen Velez , a master frame drummer, probably the best in the world.
BYE!!! :)
nadie se salva de la rumba
yalla

Postby yalla » Mon Dec 01, 2003 10:53 am

hey, I forgot to specify that the techniques I explained before can be used with almost frame drums, but being the adufe a very particular and specific drum (it is only found in Portugal) probably there will be a specific technique, which I don't know.
Anyway, using the fingers technique I told you about, you will surely get proper sounds.
Just to know, does the drum have some pellets, bells, or rings inside the frame?
BYE!!! ;)
nadie se salva de la rumba
yalla

Return to Other instruments