Gon Bops 11" Conga

Sell your intruments here, or post up any bargains you come across for sale.
Forum rules
Sell your own gear here, or post up any links to sales of percussion instruments.
KEEP IT POSITIVE PLEASE, SAVE ANY NEGATIVITY TO PRIVATE MESSAGE.

Gon Bops 11" Conga

Postby Kona » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:21 am

$230
If you're interested please email me.

I think it's a 70's or earlier.
I repaired a split between the staves. The line you see is some of the sanded shavings from the original finish mixed with glue that I applied while bringing (squeezing/pressing) the staves together. This outside edge of where the staves meet show in this darker line because I sanded the edges a little before gluing. You can't feel it but you can see it - otherwise the drum is perfect and sounds awesome. I think it has the original head because there is a Gon Bops ink stamp on it. If you look into the drum from the bottom you can see it's a little out-fo-round. That does not seem to affect the tuning at all from what I have experienced. The drum was on consignment in a secondhand store in Winthrop Washington when I bought it. The former owner is from Hawaii and owned the drum for many years while living there before moving to Washington State.
Attachments
GONBOPSFINISH.JPG (1) (Custom).JPG
GONBOPSFINISH.JPG (2) (Custom).JPG
Kona

Re: Gon Bops 11" Conga

Postby Thaiconga » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:06 pm

That seems to be a very reasonable price. How about the Valje in the backround?
Thaiconga

Postby Kona » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:51 pm

Good eye mister!
That is for sale but I'm selling the complete set of Valjes
Craigslist and Kijiji $6500
I could be a little flexible on that

Thaiconga wrote:That seems to be a very reasonable price. How about the Valje in the backround?
Kona

Postby rhythmrhyme » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:33 am

the difficulty I have with congas that are a bit out of round is that the crown initially goes out of level when you balance the lugs and over time it becomes deformed. I see from the side view that the crown is out of level and the head is pulled down too far for my taste. The finish looks good though.

Have you tried just rotating the current head and crown by one lug position at a time, and doing this twice a month or two apart? I tried this with a slightly out of round drum and it corrected the shape a bit.
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana
rhythmrhyme

Postby Kona » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:39 am

UPDATE:
I am trying to sell these locally now = pickup only

Thanks for the 'rounding' tips.
Personally I would leave the drum as is. It sounds good and it does not bother me.....and that may be just me....having it out of round and out of shape a bit. That''s just part of the character of the drum. I mean if it was cracked and broken and it could not be played or it did NOT sound good that would be different. It is a very nice old drum and it sounds good to me so I'm going to leave it be.
Kona

Return to INSTRUMENTS FOR SALE