Artisan Shekeres - Handcrafted for percussionists

Sell your intruments here, or post up any bargains you come across for sale.
Forum rules
Sell your own gear here, or post up any links to sales of percussion instruments.
KEEP IT POSITIVE PLEASE, SAVE ANY NEGATIVITY TO PRIVATE MESSAGE.

Re: Artisan Shekeres - Handcrafted for percussionists

Postby s'chopp » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:56 am

Hi Matt nice to have another talented member of the forum. :D
s'chopp

Postby slinginit » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:38 pm

Thanks S'Chopp!! Glad to be here!

"The Jester" just sold meaning that all of the shekeres in this batch are gone. I'm still working on a big custom order for Abakua (very grateful for the opportunity) and will start on a new batch when his are completed. I've got a lot of new color ideas and 8 or 9 gourds that are finished and ready for skirts. PM me if you are interested in a custom color or design - I'll do my best to make it happen.

Cheers!
slinginit

Postby ABAKUA » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:55 pm

Hey guys, check out how my order is coming along. Here are 2 of 3 Matt is making for me. All 3 are my design, with Matts input and creativity added also.
The 3rd one is still in design still, and pics are not available yet.
Pictured are my Chekere design for Yemaya & Eleggua. Still to come is the Chango one. Bead count: 1080 beads on Eleggua and 720 on Yemaya! Got beads yo? :shock:
Attachments
Picture 195.jpg
Picture 192.jpg
Picture 193.jpg
Picture 194.jpg
Picture 171.jpg
Picture 191.jpg
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby KING CONGA » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:51 pm

Typically you see chekeres with a flared end, Im wondering what the base tone is like on these being that thei are not flared at the end.
ABAKUA if you dont mind, please be sure to give us some insight in regards to this.

You know, Im surprised that you are not making your own ABAKUA, you do a great job with your Guiros, In fact, do you have any for sale? :D
K.C.
KING CONGA

Postby slinginit » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:16 pm

Hi K.C.,

Actually, I think the tapered port extends the bass on these as compared with the flared bottle gourds. I'm still working on another big one for Abakua before I ship them from US to Australia. Some of the other skekere makers live proximate to their gourd farmers and can cherry pick their gourds. Unfortunately I don't have that option. The flared bottle gourd that's strong enough to be considered for a shekere probably constitutes about 1% or less of the total gourds on a farm. I've moved onto "martin gourds" which are formidable instruments in and of themselves, constitute a larger proportion of the available gourds, and typically are quite strong. I've had many bottle gourds break or "flex" during handling, but martin gourds are consistently strong. Of course, I never know their tune until the gourd arrives - they're all very unique in look, sound, feel, and surface texture.

Thanks for looking! :)
Last edited by slinginit on Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slinginit

Postby slinginit » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:19 pm

One more thing...

I posted some other examples of my work in the "Other Instruments" section under the thread, "Show me your shekere" (pg. 6). There are many different shapes and sizes of gourds there.

Cheers!
slinginit

Postby bongosnotbombs » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:02 pm

KING CONGA wrote:Typically you see chekeres with a flared end, Im wondering what the base tone is like on these being that thei are not flared at the end.
ABAKUA if you dont mind, please be sure to give us some insight in regards to this.

I think the flared end is just due to the type of gourd most commonly available. I dislike the flared end as it is fragile and just makes the gourd heavier. I choose gourds without the flared end nowadays. All my shekeres have incredible tone. I think a longer oval shaped gourd creates more tone, additionally the cleaner and harder the interior of the gourd the greater the tone from the shekere. That has been my experience. I've made about 30 shekeres now.
bongosnotbombs

Postby slinginit » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:29 pm

Thanks BNB for chiming in about this. That's been my general experience too. Currently have a batch of 9 gourds that I'll be making into future shekeres - one of them has a flared top and definitely strong enough for a shekere. The rest are "martin gourd" style with good handles; they have a nice low-end sound for their size. I'll start assembly on the next batch as soon as I finish Abakua's order.

Cheers!! :)
slinginit

Postby ABAKUA » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:48 am

Updated pics, here are my 3 which sliginit (Matt) has made for me based off my designs.

8)
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby RitmoBoricua » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:27 am

Nice looking shekeres.
RitmoBoricua

Postby bobzline » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:35 pm

Happy New Year my brother.
I'd like to get two , of your choice, shipped to Miami, Florida. Please send me payment instructions and anything else you require.
Roberto Hernandez
bobzline@gmail.com
bobzline

Previous

Return to INSTRUMENTS FOR SALE