Used Nuskyn Conga and Bongo Heads Sale or Trade

Sell your intruments here, or post up any bargains you come across for sale.
Forum rules
Sell your own gear here, or post up any links to sales of percussion instruments.
KEEP IT POSITIVE PLEASE, SAVE ANY NEGATIVITY TO PRIVATE MESSAGE.

Used Nuskyn Conga and Bongo Heads Sale or Trade

Postby pulse » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:28 pm

I have some used Nuskyn conga and bongo heads I no longer use. Eventually I will figure out what I think they are worth and put them on Ebay. For now I'm open to offers, or interested in trading for new or used cow, mule or maybe even a water buffalo skin if it is an older thicker specimen. Photos available by request. Of course relative values of a trade might need adjustment, not expecting to get a new mule skin for a used Nuskyn :-|

13" tucked Nuskyn conga head model M7-1300-N6 - Little wear because the head was barely tensioned to the point where a note sounded and the drum was only played lightly. Low tension means little bearing edge crease.

11" tucked Nuskyn conga head model M7-1106-N6 #1 - Low tension lightly played, slight bearing edge crease formed.

11" tucked Nuskyn conga head model M7-1106-N6 #2 - Higher tension which has formed a definite bearing edge crease, and also played harder. Better slaps for being broken in, but how it will work for you might depend on your exact bearing edge diameter.

10" tucked Nuskyn conga head model M7-S100-N5 - Tensioned high enough to form a bearing edge crease, but played very lightly.

Also have a 10" 5 lug Toca comfort style chrome rim model 20120-C - This fits the 10" tucked Nuskyn head above, could be used to make the Nuskyn head work on any 5 lug quinto with a 9 1/2" to 10" head or so. You can see the rim here: http://www.tocapercussion.com/docs/spar ... as2003.pdf

7.15" tucked Nuskyn bongo head model M9-0715-N5 - Tensioned high and well played, but still in good condition.

6.75" S-Series Nuskyn bongo head model M6-S675-N1 - Tensioned high enough to form a bearing edge crease and well played. Since this head is thinner than the tucked models I will note that this was never over tensioned.
pulse

Re: Used Nuskyn Conga and Bongo Heads Sale or Trade

Postby Thebreeze » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:03 pm

After reading about the situation with onile's Patato Congas not getting a good fit with the Remo Nuskyns, you will probably be better off unloading these on ebay. I think if someone is going to go synthetic, it would be best with a New one so that if it does not fit they can get a refund.
Thebreeze

Postby pulse » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:44 am

Good point if you want to take a chance on whether a skin will fit. But as long as I have the opportunity to research a drum and say it will fit before the sale, I guarantee it will fit or your money back. I was not planning to sell anyone a skin without bringing this up because I know only too well it is a big issue. It could still be good advise to buy new of course.

Not sure why you assumed I would not guarantee fit, but if you still have some problem with this I will remove the post. What do you think?
pulse

Postby Thebreeze » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:43 am

No, not at all, please keep the post up for sure. I know someone would be willing to look into getting some of these from you. If you would have had all three sizes for LP congas..M7-1106-n6, M7-1175-n6, and M7-1250-n6, I would have definitely been interested in getting them for my Patatos ( with some assurance of them fitting ) , but since you just have the one size I might as well go ahead and get all three brand new. Can I ask...What drum did you have the M7-1106-n6 on? It would help a lot to know that info.
Thanks very much.

Will
Thebreeze

Postby pulse » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:58 pm

I had M7-1106-N6 #1 on a Toca Custom Deluxe 11", and M7-1106-N6 #2 on a Toca Traditional Series 11".

You are taking your chances putting a tucked Nuskyn on a Patato as you will see below, but on page 62 of the latest Remo catalog it appears that Crimplock Symmetry Nuskyn will fit a Patato:

http://issuu.com/remopercussion/docs/re ... log_2011/1

That is what I would get. Still a good plan to buy from a store with no question returns, but with Crimplock Symmetry Remo is saying it will fit with no doubt. If you are willing to call Remo (5 calls on hold for 2 hours :-) I am sure they would also make good on any problems. Here is why Tucked Nuskyn are not so likely to fit a Patato:

The latest version of the Remo product catalog to include fit info for Tucked Nuskyn is 2008:

http://issuu.com/remopercussion/docs/re ... log_2008/1

If you look at page 38 you will see an asterik (*) next to the entries for tucked Nuskyn on Patato. At the bottom of page 39 you can see the meaning of this note:

* A "tight" fit may exist between the outside dimension of the drumhead and an undersized counterhoop.

Having talked to Remo many times about the fit of tucked Nuskyn's and taken chances myself, I can tell you that if Remo throws any doubt on a fit they are not kidding. Remo once had a sheet included with tucked Nuskyn heads that listed the exact detailed dimensions including the required inner dimension of the counterhoop. I have this sheet somewhere but could take hours to find. If you are really determined to use tucked, you could either get this from Remo, or measure your counterhoop and ask Remo whether it will fit. Another idea, get several people to measure their Patato counterhoops and compare, see if yours is larger or smaller. Have to remove to measure, and taking a chance on everyone measuring correctly, but for what it's worth.

I know my suggestions are getting out there, but just because I have thought about it so much...I have an original LP Classic with a 12" bearing edge, an original comfort curve rim and much fatter shape than the current models. About as far from fitting a tucked Nuskyn head as you could get. Using a digital heat gun, I managed to remove the ring from an 11 3/4" tucked Nuskyn and replace it with the LP ring. It worked great in spite of the bearing edge being so much bigger it was a miracle I ever got the lugs started, but the next time I tried this with a Nuskyn the head de-laminated from the heat. I know one other person who tried this, also one success and one failure. One more thing you could do if your rim is too small, grind the inside of the rim down and have it re-chromed.
pulse

Postby pulse » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:26 pm

pulse wrote:I know my suggestions are getting out there, but just because I have thought about it so much...I have an original LP Classic with a 12" bearing edge, an original comfort curve rim and much fatter shape than the current models. About as far from fitting a tucked Nuskyn head as you could get. Using a digital heat gun, I managed to remove the ring from an 11 3/4" tucked Nuskyn and replace it with the LP ring. It worked great in spite of the bearing edge being so much bigger it was a miracle I ever got the lugs started, but the next time I tried this with a Nuskyn the head de-laminated from the heat...

BTW I removed the LP ring from this Nuskyn and mounted a cow skin on it. The Nuskyn still looks usable if anyone wants to try it on an an odd sized drum by putting their existing ring in the Nuskyn. You can have this one for shipping. Even though the hardest part of removing the old ring is done, be warned that getting a new ring in the Nuskyn is also very difficult. Since this Nuskyn has already be stretched out a little, this is most appropriate for an over sized drum rather than undersized like a Patato with a smaller rim.
pulse

Postby Thebreeze » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:25 am

Hey pulse...that is a lot great information you just supplied. If no one else thanks you, I do! I think I will look into the Crimplock Symmetry Nuskyn . I particularly like that black calfskin color since my Patatos are black should look pretty good. I saw that note with the asterik talking about the tight fit, so I am going to stay away from the Tucked Nuskyns. Thanks again for the info, I will go with the Crimplock Symmetry Nuskyns.
BTW....I will still take my CC2 rims with me to the store just to be safe.

Will.
Thebreeze

Return to INSTRUMENTS FOR SALE