VALJE CONGAS AND BONGOS - FULL SET

Sell your intruments here, or post up any bargains you come across for sale.
Forum rules
Sell your own gear here, or post up any links to sales of percussion instruments.
KEEP IT POSITIVE PLEASE, SAVE ANY NEGATIVITY TO PRIVATE MESSAGE.

Re: VALJE CONGAS AND BONGOS - FULL SET

Postby Kona » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:41 pm

Scott - email sent - sorry about the late reply = I haven't viewed this site for a while
Kona

Postby Kona » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:24 pm

email if interested - $6500
Thanks for looking
Last edited by Kona on Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kona

Postby Kona » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:53 pm

The shipping would be a lot of money for these drums.
If someone is interested in the drums at $4K I would be willing to drive to Blaine Wa. and hand them over there. That is going to cost me $120 round trip on the BC Ferry Service (I live on Vancouver Island) probably close to $150 with gas etc. That brings my total down to $3850. I would even be willing to drive further into the USA but would have to talk about that to someone that may be interested in the drums.
Kona

Postby Mr.Rumba » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:17 am

The super Tumba looks amazing, and the quinto looks nice as well. Having said that I am regularly seeing the older Valjes (conga, quinto, tumba) on the internet for $500 or less per drum. A guy in Honolulu (C.L.) just sold a set for "$600/B.O", and there are 2 sets on SF Bay area C.L. for $1000. Well, one set is actually a set of Resolution drums (debatably as good or better). My point being these drums are still priced to high at $4000. Wouldn't you (or I or anyone) really rather have Matthew Smith, Skin On Skin or Spirit In The wood at that price? Yes, you have to wait or get lucky on ebay.
I love Valje's but not as much as the drums I just mentioned.
Mr.Rumba

Postby Kona » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:45 pm

Mr.Rumba
Although I do appreciate your input and experience here I think you're a little out of touch with what my drums are or could be worth on the open market. The drums by themselves - individually - are worth from $700 for the Quinto up to maybe even $1500 for the much more rare SuperTumba. The bongos - maybe $500 or so. If we're looking at $7+8+850+1.5 +5 we're looking at over $4000 right there. Even if you were to knock $350 off of the ST = $1150 you're still looking at $4000.

On the other hand - on the vintage/historical and 'complete set' value....these drum are potentially worth much more than $4k to the right buyer - and probably not in this economy, I would give you that.

I'm not an expert on prices of conga drums and I will admit you and probably most everyone on this site has me beat hands down there. I just know I have a very nice....realatively rare....set of conga drums. I have been told this by a few collectors over the years.

I would like to part with the drums now because of personal reasons so if anyone is interested in making me a reasonable offer for them I would be more than happy to look at that.

I will end this Post by saying I do appreciate all the information on this site and enjoy visiting and participating. So please do not take what I have written here as negative critisism. It's just me responding at my best regarding the drums I have for sale. Thanks, Gary
Kona

Postby bongosnotbombs » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:17 pm

No, Valje drums are not worth that much on the market typically. I don't know who told you so, but those are inflated prices. Even for the super tumba. You do have a very nice set of drums.
bongosnotbombs

Postby Kona » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:54 am

I would say there are a ton of very nice well made drums on the market today - no question, and a lot of them are nicer to look at and probably sound better than mine too. If I were to buy a new set of conga drums today I probably would not buy Valjes. I like the finishes on Valcano drums for instance.

I was quoting the higher ranges in my previous post - for the individual drums. Sure, the economy is suffering now and there are many good deals out there but there still are a lot of people with tons of money.

I know there are some Valje 'collectors' that love the history....and the drums....and for whatever reason love Valje drums over any other. One of those people is whom I would love to sell my drums to. It is at least two of these people....well known Valje collectors....that told me what my drums are worth and it is not what you're saying they are worth. And that is simply because of the full set including the bongos. I would be very surprised to see a set like mine sell for under $4000. I'm not saying that can't and hasn't happened. If you know of one.......a 60's or 70's 4 drum Valje setup with matching bongos for under $4000 in the last few years I would love to know about it. I do not think my setup is in any way over priced.

Thanks for the compliment on the drums. Do you want to buy them? $3999 haha.

Cheers,
Gary
bongosnotbombs wrote:No, Valje drums are not worth that much on the market typically. I don't know who told you so, but those are inflated prices. Even for the super tumba. You do have a very nice set of drums.
Kona

Postby burke » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:43 pm

Let us review;

In 2010 you posted them on craigslist for $9000

A discussion evolved in which several people said nice set but really worth $3000
[In all these cases folks provided examples of various sets and what they sold for]
You joined the discussion and debated. Even Leedy [who never was afraid to ask top dollar] chimed in and suggested $9000 was too high.

You said someone offered you $5000 - you wouldn't take it

You said someone offered you $6000

2012 [this thread]

You started at $6500

No one answered so you asked what they were worth and several replies echoed the first set of opinions [$3000 to an absolute high of $4000]

You seemed to concede the $4000 for awhile

Then said: anyone at $6500?

Next post you asked $4000?

More opinions that $4000 was top dollar but not likely to get this amount.

and etc.

Its kind of like watching pawn stars where the seller thinks they have something at value X and the guys inform them its worth Y and the seller is incredulous. The difference is that unlike pawn stars nobody is offering to buy these. So there is no question anyone offering the opinion they are worth $3000 - $4000 being motivated by greed.

Simple solution:

Put em on ebay with a reserve bid of $4000 - if you get it - huzzah for you!

If after 3, 4 [10] auctions accept they are worth $3500.

Or wait 2 more years and post em here again - it is entertaining at the very least.
Burke
burke

Postby Kona » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:19 pm

Burke
I agree - it is kind of entertaining. When I look at all the posts I made over the years regarding selling these drums. I have to conclude that often I just did not really want to sell them....or if I did...I would only accept top dollar to feel good and hopefully a buyer would feel good as well. My offers to sell at the low end (for me) $4000 is me showing my frustration with the whole thing and wanting to make room for my real collection - Gretsch drums, which by the way I'm starting to downsize in my retirement.

I don't mean to offend anyone here when I say I don't care how many drummers on this forum or any other forum think my drums are only worth $3-$4K....I have it on very good authority that they are worth more and maybe much more to a serious collector who knows what they're getting and wants the drums.

The drums, by themselves individually, might sell for similar to new drums....$2800 or so before tax without the supertumba...then you add the ST at around $1500 (I've been offered that a few times in the past) ...that brings the total to roughly $4500 plus. How do you put a price on a rare "complete" set? I go through this all the time when I'm buying drums for my kit drum collection. The answer is 'how bad do I want them.The price paid is whatever you're willing to pay to have those very special drums. And yes, Burke - in that regard - I may have my best chance to sell the drums via eBay.
Kona

Postby rhythmrhyme » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:24 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This thread is entertaining, in such an uninteresting sort of way 8)

So, how much do you want for the drums now? Is if 4,000? 8,000? How about pick a price that is reasonable then stick with it. If you didn't want to sell the drums, why are you posting?

RR

Edited for niceness: after all, a Canadian Pope is up for election :shock:
Last edited by rhythmrhyme on Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana
rhythmrhyme

Postby Kona » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:44 pm

Read the Forum Rules and pm me if you have negative comments about my posts on this forum.

I like the Forum - look at it from my point of view. All I am trying to do is narrow down a fare price for my drums and maybe sell them here. I've narrowed down what I think is a fare price in this economy and I've done that partially with the help of some very nice folks on this Forum - thank for that.

If someone here is interested in making a serious offer for my drums - let me know....email/pm me.

And...rhythmrhyme.............the "banal and uninteresting entertainment" is over haha.......final post for me re: these drums on the Forum.

Cheers,
Gary
Kona

Postby rhythmrhyme » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:51 pm

Hey Gary,

You and I have talked on the phone about these drums. As you may recall, I'm in Victoria, just south of you on the island.

I see you're jumping around with your prices on craigslist again, the drums are listed today at $5500, a week ago you posted them at $6500. http://nanaimo.en.craigslist.ca/msg/3634097418.html Hey, it's your life, if you want to spend your time hoping some rich collector will buy your drums, package them up and put them on a shelf, on the speculation that they may one day be worth what you're asking for them, that's your decision. For someone who actually plays his drums, they're simply over priced.

It seems more than obvious to the rest of us that the drums are not worth what you're asking for them in today's market. You've been on this for well over a year. I agree that it's time to try E-Bay with a reserve as the other member suggested. You'll have greater exposure there. Who knows, perhaps your buyer awaits :D

RR
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana
rhythmrhyme

Postby Thebreeze » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:01 pm

Kona.....Don't give in on your price!! Just as an F.Y.I...... Resoulution congas sell for the following....
10" Quinto = 790
11" Conga = 840
12" Tumba = 880
Bongos = 500.

That alone totals $ 3,010 dollars not including shipping. If you add a Super Tumba the price would no doubt be about $ 950 for a grand total of $ 3,950 dollars for 4 drums, and bongos, not including shipping, and if you were to take an opinion poll of knowledgable congeros, I would say that 8 out of 10 would prefer to have the Vintage Valjes, so even with our economy your set of drums in my opinion is worth at least 5,000 - 6,0000 dollars. ( not including shipping ). Stay firm on your price and just figure on keeping them if no one is willing to pay that much. They can always go to Resolution and order a new set, and I think that Ralph Flores might even be making the new generation Valjes now although I cannot say for sure.

http://resolutiondrums.com/parts.asp This is the Resolution site.
Thebreeze

Postby bongosnotbombs » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:24 pm

The Resolution prices also include bags and stands for all the drums, FYI.
bongosnotbombs

Postby Kona » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:58 am

Yes - bags and stand. Well - my drums include vintage fiber cases for all the drums except the SuperT. And......there's NO tax.
http://www.webstore.com/26788830,auctio ... on_details
Kona

PreviousNext

Return to INSTRUMENTS FOR SALE