Looking to buy/trade for Jr. Tirado conga or quinto

Sell your intruments here, or post up any bargains you come across for sale.
Forum rules
Sell your own gear here, or post up any links to sales of percussion instruments.
KEEP IT POSITIVE PLEASE, SAVE ANY NEGATIVITY TO PRIVATE MESSAGE.

Looking to buy/trade for Jr. Tirado conga or quinto

Postby MisterLatinJazz » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:25 am

Buena Noche Criollo,
Got my hands on a late 50's or early 60's Mahogany Junior Tirado that is 27.5 In tall with an 11 1/8 head. I bought it from 72 year old Hippie Sam in Berkely who says he got it in NYC in the early 60's already used and beat up and has had it in his possession ever since. It looks like hell but sounds so beautiful and with a cutting volume plus long sustain that I understand what the fuss is about these instruments made by Mr.Tirado. What a tale of dedication to a craft based on love for the music and the artists who play it. He is a Puerto Rican Stradivarius. The instrument whose name became with its maker.

Besides more LP's than any man should have I am lucky to own 4 matched Skin on Skin (80's), 2 matched Mahogany Gon Bops (70''s) and this little Jr. which I think is a tumba based on what i have read in this forum. Willing to pay for or trade for a Jr. Tirado Conga and/or Quinto. If you have a full set of 3 I am also interested. I can pay cash if you promise not to tell my wife we will be eating huevos and papas into our 90's. ;D

Arturo Riera
MIsterLatinJazz.com
MisterLatinJazz

Re: Looking to buy/trade for Jr. Tirado conga or quinto

Postby bongosnotbombs » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:04 pm

So Sam finally parted with that beat up old drum, that might be a junior? I remember he was asking something like $1,000 for it? I always thought that drum sounded flat and weak. Did he put a new skin on it or something?
bongosnotbombs

Postby MisterLatinJazz » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:33 pm

It is a Junior based on the hardware and contour and I have had this confirmed by a couple of folks whom I respect for their knowledge and musical heritage (Louie Romero for one from Fania.The head was definitely dead when I got it. Cleaned up the drum, polished up the hardware and with a new head I swear this thing is possessed. I did not pay $1000 or even close. Now that I understand why Juniors are so prized (I own many good drums but this one is GREAT) I would like to have a set of 3.

QUESTION: Do you know any local owners (Nor Cal) willing to part with a set or a drum? Thanks
MisterLatinJazz

Postby Bongobilly » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:31 am

Hell No! Will be buried with them :)
It's Mofongo Time!
Bongobilly

Postby pcastag » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:52 pm

bongosnotbombs wrote:So Sam finally parted with that beat up old drum, that might be a junior? I remember he was asking something like $1,000 for it? I always thought that drum sounded flat and weak. Did he put a new skin on it or something?

Nice.
PC
pcastag

Postby MisterLatinJazz » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:55 pm

Thanks to the folks on Congaplace, particularly Johnny Conga, for connecting me with a seller and a great human being. Like Bongobilly, once I get the Jr.s I will not let them go. I may have to sell some other items so stay tuned for vintage Skin on Skin and Gon Bops Mahogany's coming soon.
MisterLatinJazz

Postby docarroyo » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:26 am

Can you post a photo of ht drum it sounds like one of Juniors very early drum at 27.5 inches, his later drums were standard 30 inches I have one of his first single digit drums which is 28 inches. Just curious to see if its like mine. Thanks
docarroyo

Postby MisterLatinJazz » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:35 am

Here is the best shot of the Junior. I can post more if you are really interested. I tuned Skin on Skin and a Gon Bops to the same note and the Junior was absolutely sonic compared to the other great drums. Willing to trade for a mahogany Jr, Requinto if anyone is up to it.

Arturo
www.misterlatinjazz.com
Attachments
junior.jpg
Junior 50's or early 60's 27.5 in tall and 11 1/8 head
MisterLatinJazz

Postby Omelenko1 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:06 am

That's an early Junior, I can teel by the thick "V"s in the crown. That's a late 60's Junior. I had had some like that one. Here are photos of mine.

Dario
1969 Juniors.JPG
Bata Junior and Congas.JPG
JUNIOR conga y bongo.jpg
Junior Congas 31.JPG
Omelenko1

Postby MisterLatinJazz » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:11 am

Beautiful drums Dario,
The guy I bought it from picked it up in 63 in NY already used so it must be early 60s. The bottom is very small and seems to hold the sound to make the whole drum resonate.
MisterLatinJazz

Postby MisterLatinJazz » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:35 am

More vintage Jr shots. Willing to trade drum for a Mahogany Jr. Quinto 30 in tal.
Arturo

MisterLatinJazz
Attachments
IMG_0599.jpg
IMG_0598.JPG
IMG_0600.JPG
IMG_0601.jpg
MisterLatinJazz

Postby vwatson » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:09 pm

Do you still have this Junior Tirado Quinto for sale? Please let me know as I am looking for a Juniors Quinto. Thanks,

Vinnie
vwatson

Return to INSTRUMENTS FOR SALE