Terminology Questions!

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Terminology Questions!

Postby kevintimba » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:10 am

I'm looking for any of the following:

1) spanish term for rimshot
2) spanish term for cross-stick
3) english term for sobado
4) ANY term for the first stroke of baqueteo - where the left hand rests on the head of the timbal, muting it, when the right stick plays
5) ANY term for when you hit the drum head open with the stick, but then press the stick down to stop it from ringing

thanks in advance.
kevintimba

Re: Terminology Questions!

Postby Anonimo » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:31 am

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Anonimo

Postby kevintimba » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:08 am

Hi - thanks for the quick reply!

1) I'm using abanico for the combination of the rimshot and the following roll - apparently abanico came from the fan that the woman holds in danzón - she ceremoniously fans herself during the A-section and then, when she embraces her partner before the timbalero goes to the bell, she folds the fan with a click - and the sound of all the women doing that together inspired the name for abanico

2) on cross-stick - it's also on danzón - the guy is holding the stick sideways across the timbal, then lifts it up and taps it back down - the same as what they do on the snare in the most typical songo pattern - at least this one has a solid english term

4) this (all of these actually) are for the danzón baqueteo - so he's holding the stick as in #2 above, but his hand is muting the skin of the timbal and the right stick strike the muted head, for the main timbre of the danzón baqueteo - you'd think there'd be some name for that

5) this one only comes up occasionally in danzón but is very common on the tom in mozambique - again, you'd think there's be a standard name given that drummers have so many names for everything (perididdle, rough, drag etc.)
kevintimba

Postby FidelsEyeglasses » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:50 am

kevintimba wrote:I'm looking for any of the following:

4) ANY term for the first stroke of baqueteo - where the left hand rests on the head of the timbal, muting it, when the right stick plays
5) ANY term for when you hit the drum head open with the stick, but then press the stick down to stop it from ringing

thanks in advance.

I'm sure your Man Tomás Cruz can tell you, no?
FidelsEyeglasses

Postby kevintimba » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:14 am

He's in Costa Rica, so the task reverts to you.
kevintimba

Postby Anonimo » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:12 am

Anonimo

Postby tamboricua » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:00 pm

kevintimba wrote:I'm looking for any of the following:

thanks in advance.

1) Latigazo

2) Chazquido de Aro

3) Open tone or muffled tone with hand

4) Tono Amortiguado

5) ???

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby Anonimo » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:10 pm

Anonimo

Postby jorge » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:30 pm

#5 we call "presionado" referring to a muffled tone played with the hand on a tumbadora. I don't know if the same word is used when playing a muffled tone with a stick rather than the hand. I don't know a word for it in English either.
jorge

Postby Anonimo » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:54 pm

Anonimo

Postby jorge » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:35 am

Leedy2,
Watch Bombon play drums with Pupy y los que Son Son. He uses that kind of presionado with a stick on his toms all the time. It kills the ring and raises the pitch of the tone of the tom, almost like a talking drum. I have seen it and heard it. For real. Really. I am not making this up. By the way, Kevintimba did not say anything about timbales in his question #5, he was talking about drums in a more general sense.
And will you please stop telling us how confused we are. That is annoying. Save it for people who really don't get it. Con todo respeto asere, tengo 38 años en la rumba cubana, de me credito para el poquito que yo se de la musica afrocubana.
Last edited by jorge on Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
jorge

Postby Anonimo » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:00 am

Anonimo

Postby jorge » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:21 am

Leedy2,
Relax and stop insulting me. I am not that much younger than you anyway. First, no one is talking about timbales, we were talking about drums. Second, I know very well what a presionado is on a conga, which is the only drum I have heard the word presionado used for. Third, what I said in my post was "I don't know if the same word is used when playing a muffled tone with a stick rather than the hand. I don't know a word for it in English either." I was not saying that presionado was the right word. It seems like no one here on this forum knows a word for that technique either in English or Spanish, and I was wondering out loud if anyone had heard that word used for the stick technique. Fourth, just because in your 60 years in the business you have not seen this technique used on drums, doesn't mean it doesn't exist or that I am making it up, or that I am confused. I saw Roelvis Reyes "Bombon" do it at SOBs in NYC on May 20, 2010. He talks on the drums. Bombon is one of the greatest set drummers in Cuba, maybe the greatest, with all due respect to Changuito, Roicel Riveron, and Samuel Formell who are all great drummers too. I don't know if you ever heard him or even heard of him, but he is one example of a drummer who uses that technique. And if I ever knew one tenth as much music as Pupy Pedroso, I would be the happiest man on earth! I think you are underestimating him, he is a true creative musical giant.
jorge

Postby tamboricua » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:29 am

Bombón in action!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuW5gPQ1Nec

Enjoy,

JG
tamboricua

Postby jorge » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:20 am

Gracias mi hermano. ES la cosa! Not only am I not making it up, Bombon did not make it up either. I have also seen that stick technique used in Afrocuban folkloric drumming and bombo de conga de comparsa. It probably was brought from Africa to Cuba centuries ago back in the day when people still knew how to talk with drums. Yes, Leedy2, it is nothing new. Even so, I guess we still don't know a name for it. Anybody?
jorge

Next

Return to Timbales