LP Thunder Timbs

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

LP Thunder Timbs

Postby Mike » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:27 pm

Hey everyone,
I have just grabbed a set of LP Thunder Timbs including a stand, blast block and Li´l ridge rider cowbell at German ebay
(very good price...). I will definitely sell the blast block and the bell, because I have better ones or rather a different sound on my mind,
but I was really keen on a bigger-sized set of timbales with a solid & well-projecting cáscara sound. The shells are solid brass.

My question to you you is if anyone has ever played these 15+16" monsters?
I would like to share some experience concerning sound and in which situations you use them, but also on the skins.
BTW this set is only 3 years old and has the original LP skins on it.

Any input is appreciated!

Thanks
Mike
Peace & drum
Mike

Re: LP Thunder Timbs

Postby Thebreeze » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:36 am

Hi Mike. I once had the 16" thunder timb in stainless,and I would use it with my 14" regular size stainless tito puente and it made for a nice combination. I achieved the sound I was looking for which was to have the nice high crisp sound on the smaller drum and the big boomy base hits on the larger drum. This of course made the cascaras a little bit unusual because the shells on the thunder timbs gives off a different sounding cascara than the regular size drums. But it did not make too much difference for me because I like to play cascara mostly with my right hand while using the left drum for my hand or stick for timing and accent hits. Which cascaras would I prefer? I have to say that my favorite cascaras have always been the Tito Puente regular size shells, but maybe you will like the Thunder Timbs better? I think that Legendary Timbale player Manny Oquendo is a big fan of the Thunder Timbs and he has always been a big favorite of mine because he is not into speed, but into the basics of the beat with proper accents.
I hope this helps a little Mike.

Will.
Thebreeze

Postby Mike » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:17 am

Hi Will,
thanks for sharing your experience and yes, you helped me judging this instrument.. :)
Yesterday I got those Timbs and played and experimented with them a bit. The result is:
Well, I actually LOVE the cascara sound of my brass Thunder Timbs, it certainly is what I have
been looking for. Gorgeously clear attack, and by far not too loud. A bit on the dry side, very good for me.

Tuning is a different matter - kind of difficult to get a really crisp high tone on the 15" for sure.
And I am not content with the sound of the LP skins, way too thin / tinny.
But I have ordered Fiberskyn 3 medium skins for both drums which should improve the sound considerably.

Thanks again for your answer. I´ll let you know what the Timbs are like with the Remo skins.

Have a nice weekend!

Mike
Last edited by Mike on Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby Thebreeze » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:48 pm

Mike, I saw your timbs on ebay germany completed list and they are beautiful, look like new. Great buy my friend.

Will
Thebreeze

Postby Mike » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:47 am

Thanks for the compliments, Will and yes, I consider myself to be a lucky man
as the Thunder Timbs are as as good as new - excellent condition at a very good
price. BTW I even got a 10€ reduction - very nice seller. So I have this set for about 160€! :mrgreen:

Curiously enough, LP´s logo is a bit different from the "normal" badge with the Thunder Timbs.
LP Thunder Timb closeup.JPG
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby Thebreeze » Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:49 am

Glad you are happy with those timbs Mike. I remember that the head on my 16" timb was an Aquarian head, and I remember it seemed to be a two ply head with a thin layer of oil in the middle. It really made that drum sound great. It had a nice deep tone, no ring, and good resonance. if you want I can ask my friend who now owns it to get me the exact model off of the head. Let me know ok?

Will.
Thebreeze

Postby Mike » Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:34 am

Yes, telling me which Aquarian heads gave you that good sound would be very nice, Will!
Even if I have already ordered the Remo Fiberskyns for both drums, because it is the close-to-natural-skin sound I am after.
They should at least not sound as hollow as the LP heads, especially on the hembra.
As far as I know, two-ply heads (like the Aquarian you mention) give bigger-sized drums a fuller, rounder resonance.
I even thought of trying a Remo pinstripe. Certainly you will get a good punch out of those thicker heads.

Have a nice Sunday!

Greetings
-Mike

EDIT: It seems as if we are the 2 only thundering timbaleros chatting here :wink:
But that is nice anyway :)
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby Thebreeze » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:09 am

Mike..sorry about not getting back to you on this. I completely forgot to look at this posting. I have left a message for my friend to call me back and as soon as he does I will get that Aquarian model info for you. Hope you are really enjoying those Thunder Timbs!

Will.
Thebreeze

Postby Mike » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:07 am

Hey Will,
Yes, I am already enjoying my Thunder timbs, but I as I said I am not satisfied with the
sound yet as there are still the LP heads on them.
That is why I eagerly wait for more info on the Aquarian head you mention.
The Fiberskyn 3 heads have not arrived yet (still 1 week or so to wait).

Thanks for your reply anyway

Mike
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby Thebreeze » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:55 am

Hi Mike. I spoke to my friend and he looked at the aquarian head with me on the phone and there was no model number on it. However, he described it to me. It has a 1 inch thick black line that circles the head. I looked on the internet and I think that the head is " Aquarian Performance II" . This is what it says about it...

" Designed for loose tuning to get depth and punch with no over-ring. This head is sealed around the edge to create that really deep sound on toms. No muffling needed."

Here is the link...

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/ ... sku=449318

The 16" head sells for $21.99 U.S. Dollars. I hope this helps you a little MIke. Al my best!!
p.s...If you get this head, make sure to let me know what you think ok?

Will.
Thebreeze

Postby Thebreeze » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:59 am

Thebreeze

Postby Mike » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:22 am

Thebreeze wrote: I looked on the internet and I think that the head is " Aquarian Performance II" . TIf you get this head, make sure to let me know what you think ok?

Will, sure I will. I will check out the Fiberskyn 3 on the Hembra first though, but the Aquarian head
sounds really interesting indeed! Thank you very much for the research and thre info - it is highly appreciated!

Mike
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby Thebreeze » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:48 am

Anytime my friend.

Will.
Thebreeze

Postby Mike » Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:30 pm

Hey, the Fiberskyns have arrived at last (5 weeks wait!),
I put them on immediately. What an improvement!
The hembra sound is round and deep, full sound, exactly what I wanted.
I don´t think I will go for a two-ply skin there, the Fiberskyn does the trick.
The macho is fine too. I tuned the set to c and g which should be fine.
Plus the Fiberskyns look great. :D

So this was definitely worth the money and the wait! Thanks again
for your help, Will.

Mike
Peace & drum
Mike

Return to Timbales