Karl Perazzo Timbales?? Other suggestions??

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby conguero » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:00 am

Hi All,

I'm thinking of buying a set of the new LP Karl Perazzo Timbales (not the ones with the painted shells). Has anyone played or heard these?? What other Timbales would you recommend in the same price bracket?? Do the skins that come with them need changing or are they good to go??

Help appreciated!!
conguero

Postby Mike » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:46 pm

Well, I have read that the Perazzo timbs are steel timbales with a bronze finish.
I´m not sure what you mean by painted shells? I believe this one? (see picture)

Otherwise I think Meinl Timbales are a good deal for the buck. Especially the Conte Series I have heard, but there is also an Amadito Valdez Model I dig very much.
Playing very old Afro Timbales myself I cannot help you much further I´m afraid.

Best of luck
Mike

Edited By Mike on 1204822239

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... 011-lp.jpg
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby umannyt » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:41 pm

Mike wrote:...I think Meinl Timbales are a good deal for the buck. Especially the Conte Series I have heard, but there is also an Amadito Valdez Model I dig very much...

Conguero,

I echo Mike's opinion on the Meinl Amadito Valdez timbales. I've heard only positive reviews about them. They're made of steel with powder-coated paint. They only come in black color, though, which isn't my personal preference. (I have the Meinl Luis Conte signature brass timbales, which I got brandnew for a killer deal. I just love them. The Luis Conte, depending on one's budget, can be quite expensive--averaging around $500. I was very lucky in that I got them brandnew for a killer deal. IMO, they're one of the most gorgeous-looking timbales out there. They're either pure German brass (not alloy) or stainless steel. And the shells are extensively hammered all around for a dry cascara sound. I just love mine.)

I've heard good reviews about Pearl Marc Quinones signature timbales too. They're made of steel with a polished finish. They have only 5 tuning lugs (vs. the traditional 6) and can be tuned from the top (vs. the bottom)--all supposedly for faster and more convenient tuning. Plus, they come factory-equipped with Remo heads already.

You might want to consider the Gon Bops timbales, too. Their Tumbao series (endorsed by Luisito Quintero), also made of steel with a polished finish, go for a very reasonable price of about $200. (The gorgeous top-of-the-line Gon Bops Alex Acuna Signature model, made of brass alloy and which comes with top-class DW stand, is about $500.)

Toca timbales don't seem to be bad either. They come in several models and price range within the LP Karl Perazo model.

And so are Remos and Ludwigs, if you can get them.

Best of luck, :D

Edited By umannyt on 1204843809
umannyt

Re: Karl Perazzo Timbales?? Other suggestions??

Postby Raymond » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:38 pm

Let me plug here.....

The Karl Perazo timbales are the Tito Puentes made out of regular steel painted in some sort of bronze color.. They are OK but don't project that well...!

The Meinl Amaditos are 13/14 timbales...and are basically the Floatune model that are part of the Marathon series that is their "second level" but good to play professionally...The Luis Conte Model...last time I checked they were expensive. (Meinl timbales come with questionable heads that you must replace)

Pearl Marc Quinones are good, great cascara sound, less overtones...with ready to play heads Remo Ambassador Clears..something new.. (I endorsed Pearl by the way...so this is my choice for playing..)

I've seen the Toca's and they look cheap...the same with the Gon Bops...(Never played them though)...

If you are going for the gusto go LP Tito Puente, Pearl Marc Quinones or Meinl Luis Conte...

Saludos!
Raymond

Return to Timbales