sticks

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby Mike » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:16 pm

Hi Thomas,
those Slingerland timbales sound interesting. Do they have wooden shells? Wow - calf skin heads, old skool, they might have a fantastic sound (hopefully). I have listened to Victor Rendón on such timbales, and they sound really great.

About timbales sticks again: I didn´t tape the stick in the area where it swings between thumb and index finger, just the part that is in your hand - I hate pulling out splinters :;):

BTW which cowbells will you use with your Slingerland timbales? JCR?

Servus
Mike
P.S.: I have just returned from a class trip to Kössen/Austria - wonderful snow scenery!
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby Thomas Altmann » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:28 pm

those Slingerland timbales sound interesting. Do they have wooden shells? Wow - calf skin heads, old skool, they might have a fantastic sound (hopefully).

No, no wood; heavy brass. I did not check out anything but the cascara sound - which is as beautiful as expected. Those drums must sound fantastic, because it's the authentic Mambo sound from that era, and if there are no damages on the instrument or the material itself, there is no reason why they should produce a disappointing sound.

They are of the Leedy brand, with Leedy lugs, but built by Slingerland. Here is the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220191585080 . I hope it works.

Thomas

P.S.: JCR bells, yes! -TA

Edited By Thomas Altmann on 1201537414
Thomas Altmann

Postby Mike » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:34 pm

Wow, beautiful drums. A bit $$$ though :;):
But I believe worth the price alright for those vintage beauties.
Congrats, Thomas!
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby Thomas Altmann » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:21 pm

Mike wrote:Wow, beautiful drums. A bit $$$ though. But I believe worth the price alright for those vintage beauties.
Congrats, Thomas!

Thank you Mike. I don't think it's that expensive for these drums, actually. I have seen sets like this selling for more than 1000 Dollars. The big blow was the shipping, customs and tax ... but these things do not lessen with the years - on the contrary. And if our friends in the U.S. wanted to buy something from Europe, they'd suffer just the same; more perhaps, as the exchange rate is to our favor at the moment.

But we're straying from the subject. Anyway, I don't believe that prices of vintage drums are interesting enough to fill a thread of its own, so the forum may excuse our digression.

TA
Thomas Altmann

Postby Thomas Altmann » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:29 pm

Mike wrote:Wow, beautiful drums. A bit $$$ though. But I believe worth the price alright for those vintage beauties.
Congrats, Thomas!

Thank you Mike. I don't think it's that expensive for these drums, actually. I have seen sets like this selling for more than 1000 Dollars. The big blow was the shipping, customs and tax ... but these things do not lessen with the years - on the contrary. And if our friends in the U.S. wanted to buy something from Europe, they'd suffer just the same; more perhaps, as the exchange rate is to our favor at the moment.

But we're straying from the subject. Anyway, I don't believe that prices of vintage drums are interesting enough to fill a thread of its own, so the forum may excuse our digression.

TA
Thomas Altmann

Postby Mike » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:56 pm

Anyway, I don't believe that prices of vintage drums are interesting enough to fill a thread of its own
Ha, vintage drums are all the rage on this forum! Just check out the bongo pages .... My friend Caballoballo will second me. :)

But anyway, I am sure you have an invaluable treasure at your hands (even if the custom fees really hurt.) As you say:
these things do not lessen with the years - on the contrary
Quite so - think of whiskey or good wine :;):
No, seriously, bongos/congas/timbales get really mellow in sound over the years, I understand you.
Enjoy! :cool:

Mike
BTW Very nice chatting with you across the Alps :D

Edited By Mike on 1201547068
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby Thomas Altmann » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:58 pm

BTW Very nice chatting with you across the Alps

(envy ...) :angry:
Thomas Altmann

Postby Mike » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:33 pm

Are you serious? :O
I´ve been there with 120 pupils 14-15 years old! This wasn´t a picnic... :D

OK, enough threadjacking now...

Edited By Mike on 1201619073
Peace & drum
Mike

Re: sticks

Postby Mike » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:00 pm

Coming back to sticks:

After having re-read Raymond´s post I have tried the following sticks recently and found them quite good:

VATER 3/8" Hickory and Maple, 16" long, the maple being very (a bit too) light
http://www.vater.com/newproducts/product.cfm?M=28

and the

VIC FIRTH 3/8" Paulinho da Costa World Classic model, slightly shorter (ab. 15.6") and therefore not so bouncey.
This stick also works great on Agogo bells.

The 3/8" thickness feels quite good and gives me a good cascara sound - not boom-bang, but enough to be heard :)

For the rougher sessions I would still recommend the VIC FIRTH Alex Acuna signature series, also with an amazing rebound on the drumset (that is the purple one). http://www.vicfirth.com/product/individ ... s/SAA.html
Peace & drum
Mike

Re: sticks

Postby umannyt » Wed May 14, 2008 6:38 pm

Just recently, I switched to using drumsticks upon the advise of our drummer. I just luv them!

True to what our drummer said, I find that I definitely get more control with drumsticks than with timbale sticks (Vic Firth Alex Acuna natural sticks and purple sticks), especially with paradiddles (doubles). The drumsticks I use are Vic Firth American Classic 7AN ("N" is for nylon tip).

I'll still use my timbale sticks, particularly when I'm playing only with my timbales. But, as part of my multi-percussion setup of 3 congas, bongos, timbales, cymbals and assorted percussion toys, I'm now spoiled by the extra control I get using drumsticks.
umannyt

Previous

Return to Timbales