Clamp cymbal holder for Timbales?

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby Firebrand » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:51 pm

I'm trying to reduce the weight associated with my timbale set and trying to free up one of my regular cymbal stands for use with another cymbal in my drum setup. Is there any clamp-style cymbal holders that can take a 16" crash and "boom" it slightly away from the timbales? I did see LP's Splash claw, but then I also saw Gibraltar's "Jaw", which seems to be designed with more positioning capabilities (it looks better than the LP Splash claw). It would be so nice to show up to regular salsa gigs with just timbales, one cymbal, and one stand (timbale stand)...instead of having to carry another cymbal stand as well.

Are there any other alternatives to the two I mentioned, and any that are cheaper than those (those go for about $30.00). What do you guys use?
Firebrand

Postby Mike » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:15 pm

Many Splash cymbal holder do the job quite well - if they can take a 16" cymbal depends on its weight. At least you could mount it onto the cymbal stand.
BTW my timbales don´t have a cowbell holder, but I´m quite happy with mounting all bells and cymbals onto a cymbal boom stand (the latter one being schlepp rather than expensive).

Hope this helps
Mike
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby umannyt » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:46 am

Firebrand,

I use an LP cymbal claw with my 8-inch Sabian AAX splash cymbal for my timbales and it works just fine. I've read that the diameter limit for the LP cymbal claw is 16-inches.

I was thinking of getting a 16-inch Sabian El Sabor Picante crash cymbal for my 2nd cymbal. However, since I play mainly with blues/rock/R&B/dance/fusion jazz bands, we always have a drummer who already has 1 or 2 crash cymbals. Thus, I don't have an urgent need to own my own crash cymbal at the moment.

Anyway, I bought the LP cymbal claw for the same reason you did: to minimize or lighten the hardware that I have to carry anywhere. And should I eventually end up buying a crash symbal, I'd buy another LP cymbal claw for exactly the same reason.

Good luck,

Edited By umannyt on 1199407657
umannyt

Postby Firebrand » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:39 am

read up on the Gibraltar "Jaw". Gibraltar is owned by Kaman (same company that owns Sabian cymbals, LP products, Toca percussion, etc.) The Jaw is essentially the "claw" of LP, but with the ability to position the cymbal in much more 360 ways. The LP claw can't be maneuvered as much, becuase it lacks the pivoting design of the Jaw.

Best of all...they're both pretty much no more than 30.00

But, I'm still trying to get other alternatives before I shell out money for a Gibraltar Jaw.
Firebrand

Postby Mike » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:53 am

I was thinking of getting a 16-inch Sabian El Sabor Picante crash cymbal for my 2nd cymbal. ... we always have a drummer who already has 1 or 2 crash cymbals

Umannyt, the Sabian Picante handcrash is totally different in sound from most drumset crashes.
It is extremely versatile, I use it for Timbales too.
Back to the topic: I don´t know if I would put this cymbal on a splash clamp, however. Might be too heavy. Safety first :D
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby umannyt » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:46 pm

Firebrand wrote:The Jaw is essentially the "claw" of LP, but with the ability to position the cymbal in much more 360 ways. The LP claw can't be maneuvered as much, becuase it lacks the pivoting design of the Jaw.

Firebrand,

Since I own one, I can tell you that the LP Claw actually has a 360 degree adjustment. It features a 3rd knob on the side of the claw--which (most) advertising pictures (surprisingly) don't show--which allows for such adjustment.

I had also looked into the Gibraltar Jaw before deciding on the LP Claw. Just basing it on the pictures, it seemed to me that the LP Claw has more plastic in it and, therefore, seemed to offer more protection from scratching my timbales.

But, looking more closely at the Gibraltar Jaw recently because of this thread, it doesn't look like such a "bad" product anymore to me.
umannyt

Postby umannyt » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:59 pm

Mike wrote:Umannyt, the Sabian Picante handcrash is totally different in sound from most drumset crashes.
It is extremely versatile, I use it for Timbales too.
Back to the topic: I don´t know if I would put this cymbal on a splash clamp, however. Might be too heavy. Safety first :D

Mike,

Thanks for the tip re: Sabian El Sabor Picante crash cymbal.

You're right. It's a tri-surface, tri-function crash cymbal: clave, ride and stick/hand crash. Now that I've heard from a satisfied user, like yourself, I'm reconsidering getting the 16-inch version.

Re: LP Cymbal Claw, here's what the LP online catalog writes:

http://www.lpmusic.com/Product....aw.html

* Gives you the ability to mount cymbals, up to 16" in diameter, on any rimmed drum

* All types of cymbals, including LP Ice Bells, can be placed with ease around drum kits, percussion set-ups, and marching drums

* Included Z-shaped cymbal arm comes with thick cymbal felts and a heavy duty wing nut to protect and secure cymbals

* The best way to add cymbals to any set-up without adding bulky stands

So, should I opt for the 16-inch crash, I really shouldn't worry about the LP Cymbal Claw not being up to the task. At any rate, major music stores ususally give you 30 to 45 days to try it out and return it if not totally satisfied. If not, then I'll definitely get the cymbal stand.

Should I opt for the 18-inch, however, then it's a moot point: the cymbal stand is the only way to go.

Edited By umannyt on 1199485134
umannyt

Return to Timbales