Orestes Vilato

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby Tonio » Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:41 am

Anyone know what Orestes normally uses LP? Size? Heads?

T
Tonio

Postby Raymond » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:07 am

As far as I know, Orestes Vilato is a Meinl endorser. At least that is the information I found last time I check Meinl's web site.

I've seen him once here in Puerto Rico using a Meinl's Luis Conte Timbales in one of his presentations about three years ago.

Specifically heads or sizes of heads, don't know.

Saludos!

PS: Don't assume that the sound Oreste got in his old 70s recordings could be obtained that easy specially after the change in materials in some of the modern timbales.
Raymond

Postby Tonio » Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:27 am

Meinl? hmm

No way I am refering to his 70's stuff!!

Thanks Raymond.

T
Tonio

Postby tamboricua » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:59 pm

Hola Tonio,

As Raymond stated, Orestes Vilató has been a Meinl endorser for some years now. I don't know if anyone else had notice, but I think Orestes career has been much overlooked by the percussion industry. In my humble opinion, he is in major due by quite sometime now and truly deserves a signature series timbales. I'm aware of a situation in which a major percussion company,(which should remain nameless), apparently screwed him out on a signature model timbal he was developing.

Anyway Tonio, check out the attached pic. Seems this shot was taken during the Fania years, and looks he was playing a set of Leedy & Ludwig. Hope this helps!

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

Edited By tamboricua on 1138830426

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... Vilato.jpg
tamboricua

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:55 pm

Orestes also played Puente's LP timbales, when he was with Baretto's band...back in the early 70's..."JC" Johnny Conga...PS ... I am LOOKING for ANY music by "Gil Suarez & The HI-Latins" a band I was in when I was 17(1965-66) and Orestes was the timbale player, his first band in NYCity...I have their 1st album, but I'm looking for the other 3 or 4 they recorded...I replaced "Lefty" Maldonado, he was drafted for Vietnam....
JohnnyConga

Postby zaragemca » Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:14 am

Saludos,to JC., Orestes Vilato was also the Timbalero for Jorge Santana's Group, with Francisco Aguabella,(this was the group of Jorge Santana, Carlos Santana's brother), also he did some recording with Carlos Santana.Dr. Zaragemca

Edited By zaragemca on 1138930688
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby pcastag » Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:09 am

I saw him live in frisco in 84, orestes, armando, raul and graham lear. What a smoking rhythm section. That was the main reason i started playing frums. Immediately put down the trumpet and bought some bongos. Seeing armando up close playing bongos was something else. That man could make them TALS!
PC
PC
pcastag

Postby niallgregory » Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:50 pm

some of orestes playing with Machete is the tastiest timbal playing ever recorded.Everything from his tuning and sound to his solo phrasing.In my opinion the guy is on another level.As for his Bongo playing .Superb ! I would love to hear him play tumbadoras .Anyone ever heard him ?
niall gregory
niallgregory

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:21 pm

Orestes plays tumbadoras on a Bobby Hutcherson album also with Fransisco on it....I have to dig it out my library..he plays on one tune and has a very nice conga solo...."JC" Johnny Conga...
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:23 pm

The very first album I know Orestes recorded on in NYC was "Pacheco's Latin Jam" even berfore the HI-LATINS....with Patato, Ralph Marzan, and others , its one of my favorite recordings...in the vein of "descarga'...."JC" Johnny Conga... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby tamboricua » Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:17 pm

niallgregory wrote:some of orestes playing with Machete is the tastiest timbal playing ever recorded.Everything from his tuning and sound to his solo phrasing.In my opinion the guy is on another level.As for his Bongo playing .Superb ! I would love to hear him play tumbadoras .Anyone ever heard him ?

Agree 100%!!!!!!!!!!

I have some old video footage of Orestes Vilató along with percussionists Raul Rekow and Martin Verdonk. A very hip percussion trio they used to call "Congarilla". Yes, he can play a mean tumbadoras too.

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

Edited By tamboricua on 1138998445
tamboricua

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:58 am

Oh yea i remember "Congarilla"...they did clinics back in the late 70' early 80's, I believe..can u share any of this footage??..."JC" Johnny Conga....and how does one download footage first???...IM having a hard time downloading photos let alone a movie...
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:09 am

chek this out..."JC" Johnny Conga...

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... acheco.jpg
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:10 am

In the bottem left photo is Patato, Orestes(look at the bass drum he's using and playing sitting down),Chihuahua on guiro and Ralph Marzan on bongos..."JC" Johnny Conga... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby tamboricua » Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:18 pm

JohnnyConga wrote:can u share any of this footage??..."JC" Johnny Conga....and how does one download footage first???...IM having a hard time downloading photos let alone a movie...

Hi JC,

This is in VHS format. I don't even know how to transfer it. Send me a PM, maybe we can arrange for an exchange.

Best,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Next

Return to Timbales