Orestes Vilato

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby tamboricua » Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:24 pm

JohnnyConga wrote:Orestes(look at the bass drum he's using and playing sitting down)..."JC" Johnny Conga... :D

JC,

Looks like a concert bass drum or a marching bass drum. Los mulatos did get the "descarga" going at the orchestra room, je je je!!!! Are this shots from the famous Chihuahua All-Stars sessions?

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

Edited By tamboricua on 1139077721
tamboricua

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:36 pm

These photos are on the cover of the album "Pacheco his flute and Latin Jam"-Fania-1965....it was Pacheco's Jam session...."JC" Johnny Conga... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:21 pm

Chek out Orestes on the album Ritmo y Candela with Changuito and Patato, with Rebeca Mauleon and Joe Santiago...Orestes takes soem MEAN solos....."JC" Johnny Conga... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby franc » Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:28 pm

there should be a timbales name after the great master timbalero Oréste Vilato. he is one of my favorites. love his solos. still waiting for the L.A Cuba III latin jazz c.d. does any one knows if there is a third recording?? best to all!! franc
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Postby tamboricua » Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:54 pm

A Vic Firth Artist spotlight on Orestes Vilató.

Orestes Vilató

Make sure and check out the video interview at the bottom of the page. By the way, for those still looking for the perfect "baqueta de timbal" check out Firth's new TMB1 and TMB2. I have been using the TMB2's lately on tour and love them! Excellent projection on the timbales and still suitable for percussion table work.

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

Edited By tamboricua on 1143220100
tamboricua

Postby Doctorumba » Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:36 pm

In my opinion,Ore is the best timbalero ever.When he went to Cuba in 1980 and played with Pello El Afrokan,he woke up the Cubans with his aggresive and precise style,with his clean "abanicos" and with his tasty solos.Jose Luis Quintana "Changuito" was so impresssed after seeing Oretes in Cuba that he switched from trap set to timbales.When Orestes played as a guest in Barretto's live album at the Beacon Theatre,on which Puente also played,his microphone was not turned off when he took his solos and Puente's were on.
No only is he the best timbalero in history,he is also one of the tastiest bongoceros and plays a mean conga.Ore has been to my house here in Miami on a few ocassions,both his parents lived and died here.Once I invited all the rumberos,including JC,to my house when Ore came.When Ore started playing 3 congas no one even dared get a rumba clave going,his playing intimidated all of us.Ore is the nicest most humble guy in the world,a perfect gentleman.A proud son of his native Camaguey in Cuba. Orestes Vilato', en la paila se boto'. Saludos, Dario :D
Doctorumba

Postby franc » Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:42 pm

guys,
i must agree totally in your assertion of Master Percussionist Oreste Vilato!! sure on an other level of playing. i had the pleasure of meeting, saluted and congratulated him back in the seventies. i was living in chicago back then. i used to go to the Aragon Ball Room'' to see him play with Barretto Orq, and with ''tipica 73'' men!! did i enjoy this cat!! i used to go early so that i can positioned myself in front and as close as possible. what a joy and espectable to see him play. great cascara, tuning, sound and great solos. did it enjoyed him a lot!! i dare say he used to cure my mind soul and body!!! that is how much i enjoyed oreste play. i tried to follow his musical trajectory to this date. which if i am not wrong is on the cd and dvd'' ahora si'' con cachao. my best to all and áche mis amigos, franc :D
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Postby niallgregory » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:00 am

heres a good interview with orestes ...http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/ ... i_94768409 .He says that hes not a very good bongo player .Oh shit man ! im giving up if thats the case :D
niall gregory
niallgregory

Postby Vintage 1976 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:16 am

Orestes is in my opinion a bridge between the older "tipico" timbaleros from Cuba and the more progressive timbaleros from NYC. Orestes can do it all.

He was there for the whole transition into what would become "Salsa."

He has amazing solos, sharp, clean sound and can fit into any setting.

He's a great player.
"Once again you hear the sound of the drums...you love it 'cause it's straight from the slums."
Vintage 1976

Postby blango » Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:26 pm

Orestes is one of the finest musicians in our percussive tradition.

His sense of melody and phrasing is, to me, is the best i have ever heard.

I may see John Santos today, i will try to ask him what Orestes plays now, and back then.

Peace,

Tony
blango

Postby Omelenko » Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:55 pm

Ore started playing professionaly at age 13 with Belisario Lopez Orchestra in NYC, they were a charanga band and played a lot of Danzones, after Belisario he played with Jose Farjardo's charanga, this was around 63'/64'.
Afterwards he spent anumber of years with Ray Barretto.To me there is no better and there has never been a better timbal /paila player than Orestes. Orgullo de Camaguey, Cuba.
Dario :D

Edited By Omelenko on 1194195444
Omelenko

Postby zaragenca » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:51 pm

My brother Dario,Orestes Vilato,my is great percussionists,(specially timbalero),there is not question about it..but the position of the greatest in Cuba have been already taken by the grand master Guillermo Barreto,,(which is also a pioneer in many subjects)..Dr. Zaragemca
International Club of Percussionists
zaragenca

Previous

Return to Timbales