Timbale bags or cases?

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby cubanrcn » Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:18 pm

Hello everyone!

I currently have the LP Timbale bag and was wondering if you guys recommend any other brand? I need to buy 2 more for my other sets and the LP bag at $150 is alittle high for me right now. Thanx in advance.
cubanrcn

Postby Raymond » Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:56 pm

Cubarcn,

If you are looking for something within a budget to carry a timbale...is going to be hard to find. You have three options:

a- the bag - I don't like them..too soft and the timbales could scratch or dent with the everything that is inside and "moves".

b- Several hard cases - That is a tendency I've seen for the last couple of decades....Carry "pailas" in one of those regular "drum" cases, the hardware in another for it, etc, etc.

c- One piece "hard" or med soft case.- This is what I like. I believe LP used to make one of this but not anymore. This is the "box" that you could carry the entire timbales. You put the pailas in different parts and it has an area of the hardware and the bells. (Some even have space for the cymbals but from what I've seen not recommended). Some of these have wheels that you could carry "elegantly" into the gib and some do not.

Have not dealt too much with the soft bags but the hard cases could run you from $150 to $250, depending if they have wheels or if they are soft.

Check Humes & Berg and the other companies...(Here in PR, Timbas Ismael use to make them. I bought mine from them for about $225 six years ago...and still running strong).

Maybe you could find an used one....
Raymond

Postby cubanrcn » Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:05 pm

Raymond thanx for the info. This is the bag I currently have.

I just found another one of these for less than $75. I might just get this one again.
cubanrcn

Postby TampabayRey » Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:46 am

Hi cubanrch, you are better off buying an item right the first time. Don't go out and rush into buying a cheap carrying case. You will end up buying it twice. Shop around on line and local stores and find the best price on a carrying case that can withstand abuse. Wheels is a plus.
Rey
TampabayRey

Postby cubanrcn » Sun Sep 18, 2005 3:46 am

TampabayRey wrote:Hi cubanrch, you are better off buying an item right the first time. Don't go out and rush into buying a cheap carrying case. You will end up buying it twice. Shop around on line and local stores and find the best price on a carrying case that can withstand abuse. Wheels is a plus.

The LP bag is pretty strong material and has kept one of my stes from any problems. It has good enough padding. But I just wanted to see what are some other choices.
cubanrcn

Postby cubanrcn » Sun Sep 18, 2005 3:47 am

tamboricua wrote:
cubanrcn wrote:Hello everyone!

I currently have the LP Timbale bag and was wondering if you guys recommend any other brand? I need to buy 2 more for my other sets and the LP bag at $150 is alittle high for me right now. Thanx in advance.

Hi cubanrcn,

Do you will be doing some airplane traveling with your timbales set? If so, definitely you will need a hardcase. If it's for local gigging softcases will do fine. I have some JP Custom cases. Very similar to the LP one you posted, but made out of a stronger material. I'll try to post a picture so you can check it out.

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

Please post the pic and let me know where I can buy them. Thanx

Edited By cubanrcn on 1127015265
cubanrcn

Postby cubanrcn » Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:35 pm

Thanx for the pics! I like it. Where can I buy it at? And the costs?
cubanrcn

Postby Vintage 1976 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:31 pm

Personally I think the LP bag sucks. If the straps were back-pack style it would be easier to carry. If I use the shoulder strap, two things happen, the case either bounces off my thigh or ass!

Meinl makes a timbal hard case I think.
"Once again you hear the sound of the drums...you love it 'cause it's straight from the slums."
Vintage 1976

Re: Timbale bags or cases?

Postby vinnieL » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:53 am

The Meinl case seems to be the best bet shells and hardware in separate compartments but 1 case to carry around $99.00 at musiciansfriend.com
vinnieL

Postby onile » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:11 pm

Alafia Abure VinnnieL!
Espero que todo este bien contigo mi hermano!

You are absolutely right, the price and convenience of one case for so much stuff is what convinced me to go with the Meinl Timbale case, only I use it for my Pearl Travel Congas.

Great recommendation!

Onile!
Attachments
S6003210.JPG
S6003212.JPG
S6003213.JPG
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby umannyt » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:53 pm

vinnieL wrote:The Meinl case seems to be the best bet shells and hardware in separate compartments but 1 case to carry around $99.00 at musiciansfriend.com

I've seen it at $85 elsewhere on the web. One just has to keep Googling.

What I especially like about the Meinl is that it comes with a built-in side compartment which can accommodate the whole length of the timbale stand. This can only be achieved if the bag is designed such that the drums are bagged side-to-side rather than one on top of the other, such as with LP, Humes & Berg and JP Cases (now defunct). With others, you'll have to buy a separate bag for the stand if you want one.

Probably not too many people know about this, but another possibility, if one prefers a hard case, is the Impact Compact Timbale Case. The only place where I've seen it is at Cascio Interstatemusic (http://www.interstatemusic.com). Do a search using the key phrase "timbale case". It has an interesting coffin-like design and costs a rather hefty $152.98. And being constructed, I suppose, of plywood covered by felt, the weight, too, can be hefty. But, as most of us realize, a hefty price can be a relative thing. It depends on how much we value the instrument(s) that we're going to house.

Like the Meinl, the Impact case has a side-to-side timbales configuration. Based only from looking at the supplied picture, though, I'm not sure if it also features a compartment for the timbale stand. But, it may.

Me personally? I have a Humes & Berg Enduro timbale hard case (with foam). Sam Ash (http://www.samash.com) advertises it at an even more hefty $199.99. I was lucky in having bought one (a customer order which wasn't picked up) from a Midwest-based drum store which advertised it for "only" $99. I love it despite the fact that it doesn't come with a built-in compartment for the stand. It's light, being made of ABC plastic, I think.

I just found out about 2 other timbale hardcases made of ABC plastic:

- XL Specialty Timbale Case with Divider at $75.60 (http://www.fermatamusic.com/shop/produc ... _id=200468)
- Gator Cases GP-PC317 - Rotationally Molded Timbales Case w/Divider at $78.99(?) and $112.99 (http://www.casesandmore.com/asp/show_de ... FR5-GC1682).

They're identical cases. Gator Cases recently bought the company that makes XL Specialty cases.

I hope someone can benefit from the above information,
umannyt

Postby Raymond » Wed May 06, 2009 1:12 pm

LP just issued a new hard case for timbales that carries the whole set in just one case. (Cymbals will be hard to keep in this case but at least the timbales and its hardware will). I saw it at NAMM and the problem is that the "new" design has the "paila/drum" area in the same shape of the standard paila and it has that form in its design, turning like in a cirle in the bottom instead of being fully square. Therefore, it is hard to maintain in a normal position sometimes. (Tito de Gracia's new LP timbale doesn't fit because of the big size of the paila). That is an option that is available now.

I subscribe to my early post...If you are doing a lot of traveling and want to have they well secured...then separate "regular" drum hard cases for everything. The problem is that you have to carry several pieces instead of one.

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby vinnieL » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:40 am

I just got my meinl timbale case and really like it. I can fit everything in one case and only have to make one trip. It does end up being a heavy load to carry but i will use one of the small rolling carts to ease the load.
vinnieL

Postby Anonimo » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:55 am

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Anonimo

Postby Ernesto Pediangco » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:00 pm

The best alternative to over priced cases : A padded or un padded hard shell drum case ( tom tom case / 2 nd hand is cheapest ) can be padded easily. I use 2 brands. Humes & Berg enduro line & Protector brand ( they make the Lp hard congas case on wheels ). My hard case is set up to have a padded bag w/ my bells & misc. items in the pockets ( 2 nd hand store ), then I place the large timbale over it w/ the heads facing up. I lay a separator ( card board, padded liner or a small cymbal case ) I add a 2 nd padded case for other timbale / percussion related set up gear ( microphone, maracas etc ) then this is cover w/ padding or another cymbal case. & cover w/ the lid. I always add a 2 nd tie down strap that cris crosses the case because 1 in not enough. The case is heavy so I use a Airport style collapsible 2 wheeled cart. ( also from 2 nd hand stores @ $ 10 average ) I then can stack my bongo & misc perc case on it, more cymbals or a cajon etc. I use secure tie down straps w/ one finger quick release clamps ( from Army surplus or hard ware stores ~ not elastic cords. This stacking system is the best I ever used, it fits easily in car seats & is strong enough to stack in storage or in tour vans. I use it as a pedestal / percussion table on stage. These ridiculous 2 cases side by side like what I see from Lp, is the most bulky unstable cases I have seen. Maybe its ok for a rental equipment shop w/ a delivery van, but not for gigging musician driving personal vehicles.
Ernesto Pediangco

Next

Return to Timbales