Fiberskyns??

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby fletch » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:19 pm

Just wondering if anyone had ever tried putting fiberskyns on Timbales (maybe diplomat weight)?? If so, how was it??

Edited By fletch on 1192548014
fletch

Postby dannydrumperc » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:43 pm

I remember seeing a set of timbales on a store with those heads and I liked the sound: dry with lots of attack and a deep tone - not the tipical single ply head sound. Maybe more suitable for the studio than live playing.
dannydrumperc

Postby Raymond » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:08 pm

Just like with anything there are trends we tend to follow and is applicable with timbale heads.

Fyberskins in timbales got popular in the early and mid eighties. Warm sound and volume is OK! Then in the late eighties I saw a lot of people "experimenting" with every type of imaginable head. Pinstripes, too crispy for my taste, Ebony, too warm for me, etc, etc....

I've seen lately, and that is what most companies are putting in their factory models, are Remo Ambassador Clear and Coated. (Evans G1 which is equivalent). Seen variations of Rennaisances and Smooth White (LP for example uses Smooth White that are actually Ambassadors in a variation to their single ply film).

Personally, I hate any variation of Diplomats from Remo: they are too thin for me and tend to give a "tin can" sound...I prefer my timbales with warmer feel but not too warm or not too substained in their projection....So I like Ambassadors and not Emperors, that tend to be thicker heads and do not like the "sustained" sound of the other types of heads they have in Pinstripes, Powerstroke, etc, etc. For the later types I tend to prefer them in the hembra or bigger drum instead of the macho. ).

Trial and error here my friend....

Saludos!
Raymond

Re: Fiberskyns??

Postby tjaderized » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:16 pm

I have a set of 15' / 16' JCR timbales with deep shells furnished with Fiberskyn III heads, and it sounds great - warm, deep, powerful, almost like calf skin. If you play hard the fiber layer might come off, so if you go for a natural skin sound, rather try REMO Renaissance of Suede skins - I have Suede on a set of 13' / 14' Gon Bops timbales and it sounds terrific!
mike
tjaderized

Postby Mike » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:44 pm

tjaderized wrote:I have a set of 15' / 16' JCR timbales with deep shells furnished with Fiberskyn III heads, and it sounds great - warm, deep, powerful, almost like calf skin.

Hi tjaderized,
how deep are the shells? 10"? I have just started a thread about LP ThunderTimbs here viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4178 and I wonder if those Fiberskyn III heads you mention would do nicely on them perhaps.
At least most factory plastic heads make a too tinny sound in my opinion. Those JCRs you mention must be killers with an old-skool sound!

Anyway, cheers!
Mike
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby Garvin » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:40 pm

In the case of timbales, I would think that the larger and deeper you go, the better a thicker head would sound. I bet you'd get some really deep tones that you'd feel in your chest with fiberskyns on these puppies.
Garvin

Postby tjaderized » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:59 pm

Mike wrote:
tjaderized wrote:I have a set of 15' / 16' JCR timbales with deep shells furnished with Fiberskyn III heads, and it sounds great - warm, deep, powerful, almost like calf skin.

Hi tjaderized,
how deep are the shells? 10"? I have just started a thread about LP ThunderTimbs here viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4178 and I wonder if those Fiberskyn III heads you mention would do nicely on them perhaps.
At least most factory plastic heads make a too tinny sound in my opinion. Those JCRs you mention must be killers with an old-skool sound!

Anyway, cheers!
Mike

The shells are 9 1/2 " deep - yes, a killer old school sound, just like I wanted. Saw them in a shop in Cologne while helping a student select a large surdo - tried them and bought 'em. It was a lot of work to get them sound right, because they are not easy come, easy go timbales - but it was worth the effort. They sometimes sounded strange in my practice room, but on the gig they always sounded terrific and never let me down.

I agree that thin heads sound tinny on those large shells - go for at least medium gauge heads.
mike
tjaderized

Postby Mike » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:24 am

Garvin & tjaderized,

taking your advice which is highly appreciated into account, I have just ordered REMO Ambassador Fiberskyn III medium
skins for my 15+16" Thunder Timbs. I am sure the sound will improve dramatically, especially on the hembra.
Tuning the 15" will probably be not easy, because you can´t tune it too high, but you want a crisp open tone.

Anyway, thanks for your input!

Best wishes
Mike

@tjaderized: have you visited "Drumcenter Köln"? I can´t believe you find JCR timbales there?
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby tjaderized » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:33 am

I don't remember the name of the shop in Cologne - it was about 15 years ago, and I'm not there too often.
mike
tjaderized

Postby Mike » Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:34 pm

Now, back to the title: Fiberskyns?
My answer is:
YES, FIBERSKYNS!

The Ambassador Fiberskyn III medium skins that I have just put on my LP Thunder Timbs
are great! Now the drums sound dry, but not too dry, and have a very warm and round tone,
almost like natural skin indeed.

So, Garvin & Tjaderized, thanks for your input and information,
now I am a happy man with this old skool-sounding set of timbales :mrgreen:
Attachments
Thunder Timbs w Fiberskyn.JPG
Peace & drum
Mike

Return to Timbales