LP Salsa cowbells?

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby Juzzi » Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:12 pm

Hello.
Does anyone have any experience with LP Salsa cowbells?
I am thinking of buying cha-cha bell and timbale bell. What about Prestige cowbell? I just changed my timbales to Tito Puento brass model and now I need to buy new cowbells. What do you guys recommend? I know JCR cowbells but I can't get them here in Finland.

Thanks!

-J
Juzzi

Postby NaVajO » Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:55 pm

Hello Juzzi! I'm sorry but I can't help you. But I thought I'd use this thread to ask a question myself if it's ok:) I'm also about to buy a cowbell but I have no idea what "type" I need. It should preferably fit into pop, ska, reggae and maybe some strange form of rock. I'm going to buy the cowbell together with two jamblocks (maybe one with foot-pedal). Any advices?
Tiene TUMBAO!
NaVajO

Postby NaVajO » Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:58 pm

...and what about agogos'? I want to buy a pair of those too:) Is there anything special to think of when buying agogos'? Plus, is there any mounting mechanism so that you can put stuff like cowbells, jam blocks and agogos on the congasides, or do I have to buy some special stand for it all?
Tiene TUMBAO!
NaVajO

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:23 pm

Hey guys forget about LP check out the NEW BALA BELLS by Pearl, I just got them and man they are something else. The cha and mambo bell are great and the Bongo bell is awesome. Go to Pearldrums.com and check them out!.....Pearl Artist/Independant--"JC" Johnny Conga.....
JohnnyConga

Postby Raymond » Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:21 am

Deciding for a cowbell is a difficult task for some. So many uses, so many tones or pitches, so many mechanisms to put them on holders, etc. You guys should check older topics in the timbale and bongo section in which we thoroughly discuss and make recommendations.

The best is to go and try your bells and listen to them to make sure that is the sound that you want.

Anyway, The LP Salsa bells are intented for salsa playing use. Perhaps, the easiest one to find out there. The timbale ones are to be played on top (and not on the mouth). If that is what you want, the uptown model is the one to go. The cha-cha bells are both pretty good. There is a high tone and a low tone. (For chacha, I recommend the classic cha-cha bell if you do not want the Salsa low tone that is really low. The high tone in the Salsa models is not liked by everyone). These bells are the "safest" buys if you are not personally there to try them....

The most used bells in salsa are the JCR models. Not difficult to find anymore...Check e-bay under timbale or under JCR and you will find some. Also, JCR has their own site now. (I think http://www.jcrpercussion.com). Somebody who participates in these forums, I think Ivan or Isaac distributes them...He could hook you up with some. One piece of advise, contrary to major brands, not all JCR bells sound alike and they do not have a set of standard models like the major brands. Therefore, I always recommend trying them up. Hard to do but if you buy a JCR, not a "half moon", I could bet you will get a good bell. (JCR half moon bells are sort of dry and need break in...I have some to use in live playing but are not my personal favorites...Personally, I love my two medium pitch with slight overtone). (Again, recommend to see topics on the forums here about JCR)....

Jam Blocks or "Clave Blocks"...used to be an LP guy...not anymore. Pearl makes the best sounding blocks now. The Pearl orange, equivalent to LP's red low pitch and Pearl yellow, equivalent to LP's blue high pitch. Have to admit the Pearl "oval" blocks take time to get used to. Despite their great "swivel" mechanism, they tend be "placed" too much into the "timbale pailas" but is just that: getting use to them. Should try them...

The Pearl Bala bells are a good choice and they have a good selection. As good as LP, but are harder to find. They have various models.

LP makes some classic bells intended for uses beyond "salsa/mambo playing" unlike the salsa models. The traditional "timbale" bell from LP is good to be played in the mouth of the bell to substitue for a bongo bell. This bell is recommended for the "rock" or ska uses. However, is not as dry sounding like LP's own rock bells. This bell has more volume and overtones.

The fashionable thing now in salsa is to have a high pitch or medium pitch timbale bell, a mid pitch or tone chacha bell and a low pitch jam or clave block.

I hope this helps and does not confuse you. Check the topics here...there is a lot of talk about bells and recommended models..

Tell us what you get...

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby Raymond » Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:03 am

Navajo,

Check Pearl's new stuff of holders, stackers, agogo bells, etc...There you will might find what are you looking for.

http://www.pearldrum.com/effects.asp

Can't find a store that sells them...Get in Pearl's forum and ask them about a store where you could get them...

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby NaVajO » Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:27 pm

thanks a bunch!
Tiene TUMBAO!
NaVajO

Postby Mike » Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:02 pm

I don´t feel competent enough on cowbells, but I just wanted to tell s.th. about my experience with an LP Salsa Bongo Bell.
Like everything it has two sides.. :D On the one hand, a nice campana sound when being played handheld, but on the other hand, totally nasty overtones (which are I believe part of the series) when you play them mounted on timbales. But then: who would play a bongo bell on timbales?? Of course a crazy guy like me, ´cause on the other other hand, in a concert the bell cut through brilliantly, as well as the LP jam block (which I don´t find as bad as the others)
Gosh, I´m totally confused about my pros and cons...
CHeck out yourselves..
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby Raymond » Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:07 pm

Yes, the LP Salsa series for Timbales bells have overtones...Personally, when I used to use them I "lowered" them with tape or even a "piece of paper" inside of them... Based on what I know now, LP came out with these bells as a response to JCR cowbells that have become the "standard" to "timbaleros" in the salsa genre... (Some of LPs offerings in the Salsa series and things like their cowbell beater are a response to JCR products).... As an alternative, the traditional LP timbale bells are pretty good also...

Using a mounted bongo bell...I do not see a problem with it if that is the sound you look for for "mambo/timbale" beats...

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby Tamborim » Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:27 pm

Juzzi wrote:Hello.
Does anyone have any experience with LP Salsa cowbells?
I am thinking of buying cha-cha bell and timbale bell. What about Prestige cowbell? I just changed my timbales to Tito Puento brass model and now I need to buy new cowbells. What do you guys recommend? I know JCR cowbells but I can't get them here in Finland.

Thanks!

-J

Hello. My respects.

Yes, I have a number of LP Salsa cowbells. I love them very much. I have the small cha cha, as well as two of the larger models. They are superb cowbells and I highly recomend them.

Meinl are also making some lovely cowbels. They have a hand hammered Artist's line out that is superb.

I feel that if you choose the LP Salsa line, you will not be disappointed.

I find the Prestige cowbell is something one must get used to. I have long considered buying one, but always change my mind. I think they are a bit too open and uncontrolled. Having said that, I will probably buy the bell I have been looking at each week for the past 2 months. :D
After all, if it was good enough for Tito....................

My best wishes for the coming year.

Edited By Tamborim on 1104414457
Tamborim

Postby TigerBongo » Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:04 pm

Hi,

Yeh - I've got a number of cowbells - I have Lp, Meinl & (dare i say it!) an old rhythmtech cha-cha bell.....I' like them all and bought them on preference of sound, and also on what was available to me here in NZ.

If you can get them (contact Isaac @ Funky Tradition/Mama Mambo) - buy JCR bells! They are totally the best available. I have a set of 3 bongo hand bells - and they are totally awesome! You can contact him through the CongaPlace....you could also do a search on ebay

Craig
TigerBongo

Postby Raymond » Sat Jan 01, 2005 12:19 am

Tiger Bongo,

We have several posts here, check them out and those interested it too, about the best cowbells, which we must agree our JCR bells, but we also discuss the cons of them....that are a few...However, for some of us are worth it anyway....

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby SIR WIFID III » Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:27 am

Hello everyone. Sir Wifid III here. (just call me Will) . In case some of you are interested in experimenting out of the usual suppliers of cowbells, I have aquired several "real cowbells" that came right off of the cow. I removed the clapper and epoxied a nickel size piece of 1/4" thick rubber on the inside and since many have the same type of attaching piece on the end of it you can use a cowbell clamp and put it on your timbales that way. These bells have really nice sounds. You can use them for cha cha or mozambique or other beats as well. I got them on ebay by searching for "cowbell" . Out of about 7 that I got that way I only had 1 that had a loose rivet and had a welder friend weld the seams of the bell and it is just fine now. I never told anyone about bells this way but it's time to share my sources. I hope someone tries a real cowbell just for the experience. I treasure the bells I have.
Will.
California Kid
SIR WIFID III

Postby SIR WIFID III » Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:36 am

Fyi....when doing a search in ebay try "cowbell" and also
"cow bell" .
Will.
California Kid
SIR WIFID III

Postby Jongo » Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:47 pm

Even though I live in Texas I never got close enough to a cow to try to take the bell off it! I am OK with the cows it is the bull that worries me. Like everybody else has said JCR is the way to go. I am all about JCR bells Ago-go, timbales, cha cha, and bongo. If I could not get JCR bells I would have to go with LP. Although I am interested in some of the Pearl bells that were mentioned. I might have to check those out. lately I have been more and more impressed with Pearl.
Juan
Jongo

Next

Return to Timbales