best cowbells

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby mco » Thu Mar 25, 2004 4:28 pm

Has anyone tried the David Harvey handmade cowbells?(http://www.dharveypercussion.com)
mco

Postby Doctorumba » Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:36 am

I have a mambo and a cha cha bell that I got from Pan Con Queso (the father) in Venezuela about 20 yrs. ago.I also have JCR's.The Pan Con Queso's are chromed plated,so they look as well as sound very nice.I have a cencerro (bongo bell) that I bought from the late Juan Mendez (Rumbavana,Johnny Pacheco,SAR All Stars),this cencerro was shipped to Juan from Cuba,it was the one he used when he played with Rumbavana in the late 50's,to this day,I haven't found a bongo bell that sounds like it,its got a low pitch,which sounds great when you play son montuno. Ache', Dario
Doctorumba

Postby Jimmy » Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:31 pm

I rather use Lp's than jcr bells, i use jorge silva's bells, much better than jcr's
JD
Jimmy

Postby tamboricua » Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:47 pm

Jimmy wrote:I rather use Lp's than jcr bells, i use jorge silva's bells, much better than jcr's
JD

Jimmy,

Can you give us more info about Jorge Silva's bells? Is he based in NYC? Any contact info?

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

Edited By tamboricua on 1129126438
tamboricua

Postby caballoballo » Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:56 pm

Campaneros, I do just like Raymond said, I carry 2 Bells, a Jcr Low Pitch and a LP ES-9 Sergio George,which one I use depends on how the song should sound,sometimes the song demands a heavier punch and I get the Jcr,if the song demands a mellow juicy tone I use the Lp. The Jcr I have is heavier than the LP and the metal is more thicker but both of them sound good. I use to have a medium pitch style Jcr which with a litle rubber piece under the mouth sounded low as the Jcr low pitch ,I hate myself because I gave it away to a friend. I am thinking about buying a Meiln cowbell next time. Like Raymond said,Pure Sound have the best prices,both Jcr and Lp are about $35.00 each.
Josean
caballoballo

Postby Berimbau » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:22 pm

I used to have a whole lot of neat bells before Katrina, but am lucky enough to still have two 1972 LP Bongo bells when they made them from heavier metal WITH the authentic U shaped handles!! These are necessary when I use an extended technique wherein I turn the bell against the stick like A Brasilian tamborim or frigideira to get rolls and triplets. As most who read my posts know, I am VERY old school and live in a world that ends in 1968. But anyway, how are those pancake and half moon bells anyway?

Berimbau
Berimbau

Postby TampabayRey » Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:39 pm

Let it be known! I'm a proud owner of several of J.C.R Bells and Yes they are the best and they are in a complete different level than all the other cow bells out there. They have tone that is so sweet to the ear. I just love them and trust me. I went bell shopping at so many stores to check other brands out. My were custom made for me thanks to Isaac with great super sound. If I were you,I check them out. I would also like to thank Raymond for letting me know about J.C.R :D
Rey
TampabayRey

Postby Raymond » Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:32 pm

The sound of the bell you use is very personal and I respect what other tells about other brands. As a matter of fact, I am a "freak" or collector of bell sounds. I have LPs, Meinls, Pearls, JCRs, Osiris, El Piernas (CP) and others.

What happens with JCR is that I get the variation and sounds that I prefer and they always try to get some new sound out there. Yes, they have those overtones sometimes that people hate At the beginning I did. All you need is to break them a little bit. Heard the stories that the metal JCR used was much better than the ones used before. (Yes, I do have some bells from about 10 years and the materials are different).

Still good bells and the most used...They are probably better bells but Cali is still beating them by the classic mile in sounds, varity, quality and sales.....

Have to check those order bells Jimmy mentions...

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby Isaac » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:54 pm

JCR makes 15 - 17 different bells.
They are very powerful, if that's what you like.
That means less effort to play. We also make
fiber beaters, and half some tropical hardwood beaters
that are very nice for getting a good sound from bongo
bells. A new limited edition item is a Low Pitch
Half Moon Mambo Bell, not on the list yet.
We ship all over the world.
Cali has become very popular in Japan. Japanese TV News
ran a piece about him last month.

I can send a list to you if email me:

funkytradition@yahoo.com

Isaac Gutwilik
Percussionist / Sales Rep. JCR Percussion Co.
Isaac

Postby mcraghead » Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:03 pm

I have a pair of Pearl Bala bells. The mambo bell and the cha cha bell. I like the sound of the cha cha bell but depending on how you strike it the mambo bell can sound very flat and muted.

Maybe I should try some other bells but since I'm just a beginner I don't want to invest the additional money yet.
Michael K. Craghead

"Nunca Pescao, Siempre Tiburon"
mcraghead

Postby TampabayRey » Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:15 am

If you are looking for powerful cowbells check out JCR. I have several But my favor is the high pitch.
Rey
TampabayRey

Postby caballoballo » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:07 pm

Lp Es-9 ,the one promoted under Sergio George name is another Bell with a kind of mellow tone,is not as low pitch as the Jcr but is a nice fat sounding bell. I carry both of those Bells in my Gig Bongó bag and depending on the sound the song we play should sound like,I be selecting one of them. If you are looking for a high pitch Bell chk the Meinl Realplayer Steel 7.85" Hand Bell. Also you can do some tuning of you bell by using pieces of rubber and glue them under the mouth of the bell.The beater you use also has an influence on the sound of the bell. The Jcr Beater made of phenolic cost about $17 but unless you loose it,is going to be the last one you buy because it never shatters or brake. Arre Caballo

Edited By caballoballo on 1131484442
Josean
caballoballo

Postby Raymond » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:26 pm

All those low tone bells are good for recording but for live playing, unless you have a good mic, they get lost. The Sergio bell, that I have to admit I have one, suffers from that. Truly, at the beginning I was crazy about it but now, with all due respect, I try to avoid them because they are all over. (Have to admit I have 4 low tone ala Sergio plus the Sergio). Now I am more into mid pitches and dry sounds, 70s or mambo period....

By the way, somebody threw me a little anecdote, that I cannot verify now if it is true or not regarding this wave of "low tones" bells that started with some of Sergio George's RMM recordings in the late 80s/beginning 90s. Supposedly, Marc Quinones had something to do with this, then an LP endorser, when he requested somebody at JCR to make him a "special pitch" bell. The result was the bell that got fashionable because of the recordings that were hits plus the "unusual sound." back then. (Have to admit that the bongoseros that first started using those types of bells in recordings were Ray Colon and Richie Bastar that participated with Marc in several recordings of Sergio. Although I've heard the tone in some old Cortijo recordings too...Check a version of "Quitate...Perico" and that is the bell you are listening too). Apparently, since Marc was with LP somehow Martin Cohen got the idea or the sound of the bell from Marc and got it made in his line.....Marc and Sergio were and are still close. Oddly, enough Sergio productions of late try to avoid that bell or is rarely used. Now you got high pitch bells.....

I have a way to verify that story and I will....

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby caballoballo » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:49 pm

That's true Raymond, specially with the Sergio George. I have been using the Sergio for the last month and even in Clubs I feel like the sound get's lost in the mix but that is what microphones are for. The Jcr eventhough is a low pitch, can sustain the heavy punch sound thru the mix better than the Sergio. Arre Caballo

Edited By caballoballo on 1131490273
Josean
caballoballo

Postby Stee Flo » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:16 am

Has anyone tryed the LP Prestige Line Cowbells? I hear that was the kind of bell Tito puente used in his setup.
Stee Flo

PreviousNext

Return to Timbales