multiple sets of timbales - anybody using 2 or more sets at a time?

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby mco » Mon May 09, 2005 5:11 pm

I was wondering how many forum members are using multiple sets of different sized timbales (timbalitos) when they perform, or if members are using timbalitos instead of the traditional 14/15" or 13/14" setups for certain types of music?
mco

Postby Raymond » Mon May 09, 2005 9:39 pm

Don't know what you mean but unless you have a "Tito Puente type show", hence, you have a "solo show", or you play as a "general percussionist", and you want a different type of timbales in materials or sizes for sounds or effects in different parts or songs of the show, is difficult to see somebody. (Besides a timbalero carry enough things for gigs and carrying more things that maybe are not necessary...unless you have a "bandboy"...)

I've used to have a brass and stainless steel timbales and depending int the group, more traditional music, brass, more modern, stainless steel, but never two timbales in the same place. Have a friend that has a "timbalon" or thunder timb as his "spare timbales" and when he plays with some groups, because the other set is with another group, that uses them.

If you want to play timbales in a latin group, the standard is one set of timbales, either 13/14 or 14/15. Most common now is using 14/15, although 13/14, that is from what I've heard the original size, is also accepted.

Timbalitos is just for a solo or part of a "general percussionist" part....

I hope this helps....If you explain morel...maybe we can tell you more...

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby mco » Tue May 10, 2005 11:46 am

Thanks for the info, Raymond. What led me to ask the question about timbalaros using more than one pair of timbales in a set up was that in Ed Uribe's Latin percussion book, he shows a rig consisting of a pair of timbales and a pair of timbalitos. In addition, on the drum set/timbale duet "Two Generations" from Bobby Sanabria's album NY City Ache!, Tito Puente was using both timbalitos and timbales. That got me to wondering if some timbaleros use both sizes routinely, and just not for soloing. Also, it seems as if congueros have some latitude in the number of drums they use (2,3,4 or even 5 in a set-up). That made me wonder if timbaleros always stick to just a pair of drums. Finally, I was struck by the wide range of sizes LP offers its Tito Puente model timbales in (9.5/10.5", 12/13", 13/14", 14/15", and 15/16" combinations). I imagine, though, that some of these sizes are meant for drumset drummers who want to add a timbale sound to their kit.
mco

Postby Raymond » Tue May 10, 2005 1:41 pm

MCO,

Just like you say, if a timbal player, or drumset, adds something besides the "standard" 13/14 or 14/15 set, is because of "colors" he wants to use in playing or for soloing.

Notice that Tito Puente used the variety for "show purposes" to add more "colors" in the solo.

I adhere to the fact that if you are going to play a latin/tropical genre and you are part of the rhythm section you use either the "standard" or a "thunder timb". Remember, if you want a full timbale sound, that is what is required in tropical or by some drumset players, that is what you get. Not timbalitos...

LP has apparently used them because some people like them so you get a different sound than with "standard" timbales. (Lots of salsa singers are now doing "shows" with timbalitos so they could do solos and show their chops. Hey, seen Eddie Palmieri doing solos with a set of "timbalitos")

Don't know if you are aware but the smaller version of the timbales, I think the 7s or 8, sound just like the "old time" pailas that used to be played by bongo players back in the golden era of salsa. (They used them sometimes instead of the bongos, and were played just like bongos with stickes, with the "improvisational" part bongos do in "salsa" songs).
Raymond

Postby zaragemca » Tue May 10, 2005 3:53 pm

Greeting it is true,that some of the reasons for the small sizes are to facilitate the incorporation of this set to a drum-set,I myself did it in the early 80's,by removing one of the toms,and setting the small Timbales,That way I could add the tropical flavor to the songs,and still have the resources of the drum-set.Dr Zaragemca.

Edited By zaragemca on 1115740546
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby orlandodan » Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:57 am

hmmm...
I was thinking of getting 12" and 13" timbales, but are these perhap too small to get a "standard" expected timbale sound? I thought smaller drums may make the sound more balanced (some would say less obnoxious) in the church setting, since there is no plexoglass for the percussion section to shield the sound from the rest of the band and choir about 12-15 ft away.

I thought a tighter sound would be good, but am I giving away a needed tone in not using 14" and 15"?
brcmdan
orlandodan

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:46 pm

Ralph Irizzary uses two sets of timbales with is setup including a snare, a bass drum, and 2 or 3 cymbals....with his band Timbalaye and inthe past with Ray Barretto....."JC" Johnny Conga... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:49 pm

I will always recommend the 12 13 size timbales..unless your in a BIG band then i would go 14 15.....other than that 12 13 are "standard" for latin bands under 8 pieces...."JC" Johnny Conga...ps I also recommend the BRASS Pearl Timbales..I think there SMOKIN!...... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby TigerBongo » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:24 pm

Hi,

I have a set of LP timbalitos - that I occasionally drag out for gigs - but only ever to supplement my normal drums - never as a replacement. I only ever tend to use these on spcial latin jazz gigs - and it's only during timbale solos, as an extra colouring.

My main dums are 13 & 14" stainless steel LP pro Timbales (pre tito puente model). I use Remo Renaissance Heads on them - and they sound absolutely beautiful. I was never keen with the stock plastic heads LP provide. Thes remos are really warm are far more sympathetic to the sound of yesteryear.

Now - if only remo made the renaissance heads in the timbalitos sizes (10 1/4" & 9 1/4"!!!)

Most of the music I'm now doing is in a 5-piece latin jazz Ensemble (Piano, Bass, flute/sax, conga/bata, timbale/perc), as well as occasionally bringing out the 10-piece salsa band - if we've got a wedding or corporate gig. The 13/14" drums really do the job nicely for both types of gig.

Craig.
TigerBongo

Postby Jongo » Thu May 25, 2006 9:44 pm

I saw a timbale player the other day playing on two sets of timbales. But they were not timbalitos they were both full size but one was bigger so probably 12-13 and 14-15 I guess. He played on both sets for solos but to be honest in my opinion it was more for show. He didn't really "need" two sets of timbales but it looks flashy.
Jongo

Postby franc » Fri May 26, 2006 1:40 am

tigerbongo,
hope all is well!! tell me which of the remo renaissance heads you use in your timbales?? cause there are three types, i guess?? how do they compare to the nuskyn heads?? take care, franc
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Postby TigerBongo » Sun May 28, 2006 10:06 pm

franc wrote:tigerbongo,
hope all is well!! tell me which of the remo renaissance heads you use in your timbales?? cause there are three types, i guess?? how do they compare to the nuskyn heads?? take care, franc

Hi Franc.

I just checked my timbales and it appears I'm using the Ambassadors on both drums. I gives a reasonably mellow sound - reminiscient of 1940s/50s etc when calf hide was still a happening thing, as well as allowing plenty of top end on rimshots. I think that the diplomat would be way too thin, and the emperor would probably be only suitable for a drum of 14" or bigger (probably ideal if you are using Thunder Timbs.)

I prefer these heads to standard plastic, as I find it lends itself to a greater variety of sounds. You can also use brushes on them quite effectively - so if you're playing in a latin-jazz combo you can cross over quite nicely between upbeat latin jazz charts and quieter brazilian bossas, as well as getting the presence required for more energetic Salsa charts.

I haven't ever tried the nusykns on timbales - in fact I don't think they are available for them - only for hand drums....

regards,
Craig

Edited By TigerBongo on 1148854119
TigerBongo

Postby Mike » Fri May 25, 2007 6:01 pm

I´ve read all the posts with great interest - very interesting information.
Kill me, but I´ve just purchased Tito Puente Timbalitos in the 9 1/4"+10 1/2" size, brass version, and I must say they´re absolutely beautiful in sound! Cascara is very warm and fine, and I´m going to use them as my only timbales set.
At school we have a 14+15" Meinl set which is very nice too, but for gigs, the Tito Timbalitos come in quite handy, especially when you consider the fact that my emphasis lies on Congas.
Having no traditional line-ups whatsoever in my region requires some imagination, i.e. the often-dreaded, often- looked-down-upon multi-percussionist approach.... but I can´t help it.
Peace & drum
Mike

Return to Timbales