evansG2 for hembra?

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby zwar » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:54 pm

ho folks

somebody who plays 13 14 timbales with evans g2 coated on hembra? sounds like remo emperor? or somehow different? i got the pearl elite brass 13 14.

thanks in advance

zwar
zwar

Postby Raymond » Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:00 pm

If I am not mistaken Evans G2 is the same as Remo Weatherking Ambassadors. (I gave up on Evans a long time ago. Somehow I cannot get the sound I want from them. I did have a set of Evans G2 and put them away because I could not get the tuning I wanted...Just plainly gave up on them and now I only use Remo).

Remo has three basic plys, thin, mid, 2 plys or thick. I know the Ambassador is the mid one. Diplomat I think is the thin, equivalent Evans G1, and Emperor is the thick one. The dark Emperor with Pin Stripes, which is a variation of Remo, is a favorite one for the sloppy sound of the hembra timbale in old recording.

Another factor to consider in heads is if they are coated or not. A coat will take the overtones and crispiness of any "original head."

Also, my experiences with Pearl timbales, which I endorse, is that they give you a very good "sloppy" low tone in the hembra if you tune low.

Have to check those sites again, Remo and Evans...I've gotten stuck with my Ambassador Clear and already stopped experimenting that I have "fallen" out of knowledge but this is my best recolletion.....

Again, don't like Evans..I don't get the sound I want from them....

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby zwar » Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:53 pm

ho raymond

thanks for answering.
i normaly have coated weatherking diplomats on both hembra and macho. the sound is fine when playing on stage. my thought was, having some skins with less sustain on the hembra for doing studiowork, cause its easy providing sustain afterwords by studiomeans, but impossible to cut it away without damaging the sound.
think i just take some more money and try both, evans and remo

greetings

zwar

Edited By zwar on 1174777432
zwar

Postby Raymond » Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:37 pm

Diplomat is the thinnest head Remo has. Personally, I don't like the sound because it makes the timbales sound like a "tin cracker box." (Sorry but that is what I've felt when I have played timbales with Diplomat heads).

Again, it depends in the sound you want. Personally, I like a "warm" mid sound but modern. (Believe me it sounds nicer and in recordings they sound great). Not too crispy, not too low. My hembra is tuned a little more higher than the "traditonal sound" and gives me a modern sound. My. macho is tuned to give a high pitch but warm, not too crispy, not to low. (I want my abanicos to sound clear and too crispy although they project good in high pitch, they do not sound good. If the tuning is too low the abanicos sound "old fashioned")

The Remo Ambassadors are more popular timbale heads because the thickness of their plies or play allow for more range in the tuning. From very low to very high. Easier to play with. Clear they will give you overtones, without them will give you a more substained sound.

My experience with Emperor is that they are good for hembras or the big drum. Gives you that deep bass. In the macho, they will give you a sound that is too warm in my opinion for the macho and requires higher tuning and the sound is not natural.

If you want to control the overtones, Powerstrokes are more suitable. Pin Stripes if used in the macho are too crispy of a sound but if used in the hembra gives you a good deep bass old fashioned sound. (Emperors with PinStripes, if the dark ones, are the perfect sloppy low from the golden era. Great for danzons).

Remo has Rennaisance heads that provide a more traditonal sound and control the overtones. Not that many people are using it but they are good for a mid warm sound. (Get more range from Ambassadors so I use them instead of the Rennaisances).

Trial and error and how you like. Tell us what combo you eventually get.

Saludos!.
Raymond

Postby zaragenca » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:51 pm

Well Zwar, the sustain which you are talking about in the studiowork,could be cut out,damping the shells,the headdrum,with the software which you use to process the track and also the treshold setting of the noise-gate...but a litttle bit of sustain would not be a problem for the overall recording after adding the rest of the tracks.Dr. Zaragemca
International Club of Percussionists
zaragenca

Postby zwar » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:13 pm

ho

thanks a lot for the input.
@ raymond:
i do highly appreciate the experiences you described.
i will try emperor/ambassador combination first. feedback coming soon.
@ zaragenca:
good to know you are skilled in studiotechnics a bit.
how do you mean that, using the noise gate? wouldnt it just cut off the sound when under limit? and what happens to sobado if not played loudly? i tried noisegate (using logic and wavelab effects) but the results were not acceptable. i do not use close-miking with timbales, just two overhead kondenser mics.
i am pretty sure there are lots of things i dont know about studiotechnics.
damping the shell was of no effect.
damping the head (for that purpose i take one of those mini-vocabulary-books) works good for the sound of hembra, but also puts loudness from hembra and macho out of balance and forces me to rise the frequencys occupated of hembra by multibandcompression, what again influences the sound of macho. to be short, it was tricky, and i dont like being involved in technics so much. i d prefer having the required sound by natural means.

all the best wishes

zwar
zwar

Postby zaragenca » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:15 pm

Welcome Zwar,what I mean is that the best results are related in how you are setting the noise gate/ compressor to eliminate, or, control the soundwaves, the treshold setting is in relation of; at what range you want the gate/compressor to get activated,also which is going to be the speed of the attack,(to the soundwaves),and for how long,(time duration of the attack),..this is what is going to be the tricky part of the setting becouse you have to play a little bit with it,(setting),untill you get what you wanted and when you wanted,(but my brother, this is why the producers make their bucks in this business).Dr. Zaragemca
International Club of Percussionists
zaragenca

Postby Lucumi » Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:45 am

Hey guys, my personal choice of timbal heads are 1: Small drum = Clear Remo Ambassador, Big drum = Clear Emperor. and 2: Small drum = Clear Powerstroke 3, Big drum = Clear Pinstripe.
Lucumi

Return to Timbales