Timbales sound too "bright" - What can I do?

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby Jongo » Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:21 pm

The other day I was told that the sound of my timbales was too bright and the director suggested I play with lighter sticks. They want me to play with these really light little sticks and I don't really care for them and I don't think it really helps the sound any. My timbales are 14 and 15 inch steel and it's true they do have a bright cutting cascara. We were playing an acoustic set and apparently he felt like the timbs were too much. So do I just need to play lighter or what exactly can I do?
Juan
Jongo

Postby Diceman » Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:04 pm

Juan,

I had the same problem.
You may be playing like this already, but I find that using 'press strokes'- keeping the stick on the cascara until the next stroke is played with the other hand, will stop the ring and give a less bright sound. You will need to hold the sticks with your forefinger along it, like holding a knife for eating, and play with a slightly firmer grip.
I also like to play cencerro in the same way for a more dampened sound.

There may be ways to dampen the ring by sticking something round the inside of the shell.

I hope this helps

Diceman
Diceman

Postby zaragemca » Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:25 pm

Greeting,it is absolutely right the Alloy of the Steel,(Chromium and depending of how much silver is on it),usully absorved the low frequencies and reflect the high one,(brightness),sending a projection which cut /through, (if playing with acoustic setting),try to play lighter in the shells, and/ or set an small fabric on top of the drum when doing cascara,also muffling the sound with a hand/technique as Dicemen said. Dr. Zaragemca

Edited By zaragemca on 1131568299
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby Raymond » Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:05 pm

Wao! That is a first one! A bright or "cutting sound" is normally "given" by steel and stainless steel timbales. Brass timbales have a warmer sound. (Bronze timbales give a warm sound between steel and brass).

The latest timbales made are made of thinner shells that are for purposes of giving overtones for volume. (The latest LP Tito Puentes have this as well as other like the Meinl's Luis Conte. Previous versions of Tito Puentes used to have thicker shell, hence, less overtones, but less volume).

Your leader is wrong, with thicker sticks you get a "brighter or more cutting sound". It gives you less volume but that sharp sound is there. Therefore, recommend use thicker sticks. (Yes, they could give you more volume, but try not to, and will kill some of the "brightness"). If not doing the trick, then put tape in the sticks (that I do not recommend because it will make your sound very opaque).

Don't know your model of timbales so can't say too much about. Another thing to avoid and get less overtones, is put duck tape inside your timbales shell inside the cascara area to give it a warmer sound and kill the overtones.... (This is a good one)!

If it still does not do the trick...then play softer or explain to your leader because the intentions of most manufacturers of timbales is to have the cascara have volume...

I hope this helps... Tell us what happens!

Saludos!

Edited By Raymond on 1128542870
Raymond

Postby tamboricua » Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:52 pm

Hi Jongo,

I don't get it! Your band leader was complaining about the actual cáscara sound produced by the timbal set? or about the dynamics (volume) you were playing them?

If it's the second, try to use less articulation on the strokes. Play closer to the shell using wrist motions. What is the musical format(band size) for this gig?

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby Jongo » Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:30 pm

Thanks for the advice Diceman, Zaragemca and Raymond. I am going to try to put all of your ideas into effect and see what works best but I think I will definitely have to use the press strokes and put some tape inside the shells to dampen it a little.
Jorge, I was wondering the same thing myself but I did not ask for clarification because it was one of those moments where it's better just to say "OK" and do the best you can. So I never was sure if "too bright" was about the volume or the actual cascara sound but I think he was talking about volume.
I will play closer to shell and articulate less and hopefully that should do it. For this gig there was only about 4 of us. The conga player and I were kind of crammed together and I think maybe I was drowning him out a little but I don't know. You know how it is sometimes you get some instruction or direction and you go with it.
Jongo

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:52 pm

In my experience .you have to adjust to the gig...I wouldn't use 14 15 size timbales on a gig like that, those timbs are for Big Bands, not for a 4 piece. I use 12 13 and 13 14 size timbales, cause I hae them both sizes...my slingerlands and my New Pearl Brass timbales(which sound freakin great!) to me ....so I can imagine when at anytime you played on those timbales the bandleader reacted. I don't know how strong a player u are but dynamics really comes into play with an acoustic 4 piece.....also use the TIP of the stick for a "lighter" cascara, rather than the typical way u would use the stick on the shell........"JC" Johnny Conga..... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby Jongo » Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:01 pm

Hey JC, yeah I wish I had a smaller set of timbs for that reason but all I see around are the 14/15 or the little timbalitos. What I did in the moment was what you suggested and use just the tip of the stick to have a more subdued cascara.
I am just a beginner/intermediate player so I am not that strong of player but I always try to play within the correct dimensions for volume and projection etc. I will have to continue working on that and be able to adjust more fluidly to the demands of the gig. Thanks for the feedback it has been really helpful, I have to rehearse tonight so I am looking forward to it.
Jongo

Postby Jongo » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:20 pm

At rehearsal I put some tape on the inside of the shell and played the cascara more with the tip of the stick coming off the shell a little less than normal and I didn't get any looks so that must have done the trick.
Jongo

Return to Timbales