cascra with both hand - how it goes?

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby andre » Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:36 pm

hallo to evry timbalero from this forum.

I am trying to lern the basic of timbales playing.
The link below shows how Karl Perazzo is playing the cascara using both hands.(it starts in 3 min. 15 sec.)
In my opinion hi's right hand probably is playing: 4/4 x.x.xx.x/x.xx.x.x:// (x- note .-rest)
I am not shure on this.and it is a secret for me what is Karlo's left hand playing.

if somebody of you know how to describe it...will be very helpful for me....thanks in advence

http://www.lpmusic.com/Play_Like_A_Pro/Tips/movies/karl1.ram

regards
andre
andre

Postby Juzzi » Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:56 am

Hi Andre.

He's propably playing like this. It is in 2/3 clave.

xoxo xxox xoxx oxox

x=right hand
o=left hand
Juzzi

Postby zaragemca » Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:25 pm

Greeting,it is his way to play the cascara,the two-hands cascara which I know it is played with and even rutine and in the same Timbal,(Macho,or hembra),to obtain an even sound,there are now Timbaleros playing Cascara and the Clave on the 'Jam-Block at the same time,etc.I did talk to both of them,( the congero was touring with him at that time),when they came to the Guitar Center in Houston,( where I used to give clinics),they really didn't expect somebody with my knowledge here in Texas at that time,and I still think that the timbales are too low set-up.Dr.Zaragemca

Edited By zaragemca on 1121541882
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby andre » Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:25 pm

hi there!
thats interesting what You are saying zaragemca. could you explain me somethink better.
I am trying image how can I use both sticks on the same timbal playing cascara.using one hand on timbal side and another on jamblock is clear for me ,but I relly want to lern the metod using both shels.
If I have the timbales in front of me and want to play on side of one with both sticks, I should move in a cirkel way to the left or right to fill confortable (to have space for the second hand movment).
then if I want to use the bells I should move back.
with all respect for you zaragemca I had never seen timbalero running around. so how it is?

by the way, do you agree with Juzzi about this what Karl's playing?
regasrds
andre

Edited By andre on 1121456253
andre

Postby Juzzi » Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:24 am

What are u talking about Zaragemca?
Juzzi

Postby Juzzi » Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:28 am

I am sorry but I really don't understand his language. I wish he could leave the irrelevant things out of his comments.
Juzzi

Postby franc » Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:52 am

andre,
you are right about karls' right hand!! his left hand is accenting beat 2 and 4. sort of like this is 2/3 clave x.x.xx.x/x.xx.x.x// etc, etc.
x.2.xx4x/x.2x.x4x/ on beat four you can hit beat 4 and, or like this, this is the same 4+. this in the top of the hembra drum with your left hand, ok. in both shell he is performing the same with the exception that he is feeling the rests hitting the left paila. hope this help, ok. áche!!!!! your pal, franc :blush:
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Postby franc » Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:20 am

zaragemca,
Juzzi don,t understand that what you are referring is that karls, timbales are too low set up. i also think they are too low, but of course he seem to like them like that. my best, zaregemca!!!! :D franc
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Postby Raymond » Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:15 pm

Double cascara in essence is playing the "regular cascara" with your main hand and filling the "spaces", to form double eighth notes through out the whole two bar pattern of the cascara, with your other hand.

It is that simple...(I know is easier said than done...). You could do it accented or unaccented. Normally, you accent the cascara beat so is noticeable. (If you don't it will sound, tata, tata, tata. You want "slightly" that cascara pattern to be noticeable so you could keep up with the clave...Remember...that main hand has to be playing the main cascara in clave).....

Let me know if this helps you out regarding "decyfering" how the double cascara is played.

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby GAUCHO » Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:50 pm

Excellent explanation Raymond. I'm a conguero/timbalero student and your explanation of playing cascara with both hands is absolutely correct. As far as the how low the timbales are that is basically a personal preferance and experimentation through years of playing. Great forum. Keep it going!! Practice hard and ask questions always!!!
GAUCHO

Postby zaragemca » Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:35 pm

Greeting,what I said is that for long time the double Cascara was used for a dynamic sound-down,(when the singer was on the main lyrics,or the piano,violin-soloing),where everybody would lower the volume,and the Timbaleros would switch to the side, so the Cascara would sound even,and in the change,the Timbalero would go back to the middle for the use of the bells and the rest of the set-up...In the set-up of the proper high of the Timbales and Congas to play,there are ergonomics,physicals and aerodynamics reasons why too low is not convenient,( it have nothing to do with style of playing),the same for a drum-set,but it doesn't bother me if everybody want to set-up down on the floor and play it like that as long as they are not my students.Dr Zaragemca

Edited By zaragemca on 1121543167
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby franc » Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:30 am

mis amigos en la rumba!!!
in the cascara pattern, like raymond said you can accent the beats where the clave lies. you can change the beat of the left hand in the hembra paila with eigth or sixteen notes. my best!!! franc ;)
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Postby Raymond » Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:43 pm

My interpretation with the double cascara, based in the way it is used, is that "fills up" the basic "machaca" or rhythm pattern of all the percussion instruments in the afro cuban rhythm songs. In most groups that I've played, people like to use the double cascara to provide more depth in the "base sound" because in said groups there are no maracas o guiro.

Notice that double cascara sort of gives a feeling of "more uptempo." (Sounds faster)... Most arrangements or timbaleros use if for that purpose.

Andre...you started it all...have you been able to understand and apply the double cascara???? Let us know...

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby Raymond » Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:58 pm

Finally, saw the video by Karl (as Andre provided the link)....Very basic and very good.

Regarding "variations" and doing other accents while doing cascara or double cascara, once you dominate the basic pattern, then, you could play with the accents or even leaving some beats to give it another sound. (Is like everything else...). I think all percussionists like to "mess with that" and try to get out of the basic pattern and play things a little different to give it our own style and/or provide another dimension to what are we playing....

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby andre » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:13 am

:) My greetings and thanks to all of You :)
I did not exept such a big interpretation of my question.
now the things look clear., and I have "only" play it...
with the given by You knowlage will be much easier..

regards
andre..
andre

Next

Return to Timbales