Timbales height

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby Tonio » Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:07 pm

Hola Timbaleros!!
I would NOT call myself a Timbalero, but I am studying and perform occassionally vs. congas & bongos etc.

Just wondering at what height you have them set up at/ I have them about elbow or slightly lower. Other opninions welcome!!

T
Tonio

Postby Raymond » Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:23 am

Great question!!!!!

The right height???? The one you feel comfortable hitting the pailas, doing the cascareo, hitting the bells, hitting the clave and hitting the cymbals. It depends...I've seen timbales as low as about three inches from your waist, really low, i.e., Endel Dueno, and seen it very high like six inches from your belly bottom. Actually is the height that makes you perform better. Is the same with the tilting stand...some people like them some don't.

Old school like their timbales low

In my case is around my waist...

Trial and error until you find your "spot."

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby Tonio » Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:34 am

Hola Raymond!
Thank you , and yes it needs to be comfortable. I realize it cannot be a correct height .. in general since most everybody is different in height :;):
I think you're explaination helps me realize the different roles.paila, cascara, bells. this where I have the most problems, the flow of the transitions.

I will look at each of the roles and seek a good position to incorporate the smooth transitions.

Thank you.

T
Tonio

Postby zaragemca » Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:25 pm

greeting,yes it is true when we are talking about height you need to fill confortable with the configuration of the set-up,placing the drums,(timbales) too height, would make more dificult to work the bells,(since the bells,blocks and gears are going to be on top of it),if the drums are to low, is going to make dificult the execution of the cascareo,baqueteo,abanico, acentuation,and would not benefit the rebounce of the sticks...The height of the Cymbals have to be in relation of the bells-block set up, (which are on top of the drums,'timbales').

Edited By zaragemca on 1112028609
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby Jongo » Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:52 pm

I am a fairly new timbalero and I had been playing with my timbales really high because I did not know any better and nobody ever said anything to me. Finally one of my friends asked why they were so high and recommended that I lower them. It has made it much easier for me, I was comfortable before or so I thought, but for me I like to go old school now and keep it low
Juan
Jongo

Return to Timbales