shopping ques. - why there is so much difference?

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby pini » Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:17 pm

hi all ,

Im thinking of buying me a new timbales.
I see on the lp site that timbales that cost for instance 700$ can be found in other shops in US for about 400$ (for example in )http://www.musiciansbestbuy.com/.

My question is .... WHERE's the CATCH ?
how come there is 300$ difference ?

pini.
pini

Postby Raymond » Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:57 pm

Don't know why but in the musical instrument market, they tend to have a suggested or list price that in essence is not what you are supposed to be charged. Unless, you get a "tryng to be too smart" dealer, like sometimes here in Puerto Rico happens, you will get charges for the suggested or list price when in "practice" you should not. However, in reality and practice stores provides you with like a 25 to 30% discount when you go to the store and see the "real sticker" or you talk to the people in the store. If you are a buyer who is unexperienced or unaware of this, you believe they give you the greatest discount but in reality and practice, it is not. Don't know why this is but is a "stupid" thing but that is the way music instruments are sold here in the US (and PR too)!

Probably what you are getting is the suggested or list price, plus perhaps taxes or shipping overheads, but in reality you should get what I called the "real price." Depending where you live, it could be higher.

Good timbales should cost you around $360 to $520. (The range here is from Pearl's Marc Quinones that are in the lower range and LP's Tito Puentes in Bronze, that I believe are the most expensive timbales by a manufacturer. You have the boutique "craftmen" like JCR, a handmade timbale, that will charge you perhaps a little more).

Want the best timbales for the price, and the ones I am currently using, these are Pearl's Marc Quinones Signature Timbales. Priced great in less than $400. (See my review of them on this forum in which I did a comparo with the LP Tito Puentes in stainless steel. Highly recommend them!)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7....c=00631

However, this is too much for a set of timbales that are great but you are paying 'brand'. Don't get me wrong but $520 for these timbales is too much. (I noticed LP raised their prices in their Tito Puentes').

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7....3

The other good alternative is Meinl's Luis Conte and they are priced somewhere in the $425 depending if brass or stainless steel.

What will kill you in internet orders when you live outside of the US is the shipping. (Can't tell where you live) but that will be your "hit."

Don't get fooled...get smart on this...Allow your dealer some "gain' in their sell but don't let them stick it to you good because they should not do it.

Keep us posted and tell us what you get!

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby pini » Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:15 pm

hi raymond,

i found the tito puente bronze for about 420$.

http://www.musiciansbestbuy.com/page....P255-BZ

thanks anyhow...
i want to upgrade my timbales ( have pearl primiero..) but i dont have any bronze tito puente here in isreal so i can feel them and then order them.
i m afraid from oredring somthing on the web without knowing what the model is like ... but maybe i dont have the choise...
pini

Postby Obi » Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:28 pm

As someone who has owned a retail business, I can give you this advice:

List price is generally 3 times the actual wholesale cost, it is the price set by the manufacturer to allow for competition at the retail level. It offers the local "dealer" the opportunity to look like he's giving you a real bargain without losing too much of his own profit. :angry:

Example, List price for a set of timbales is $600, the Guy at the music store "can get them for you" at $499. what you don't get told is that he only pays $200 (give or take).

Reason: there is lots of other unpurchased merchandise sitting in the store which still has to be paid for.

This is not a "buyer beware", it just explains the variance of prices. Let's face it, without additional stock in the store you don't have any idea what the dealer has to offer.

Buying online presents a different difficulty. Besides the shipping mentioned by Raymond, there is also the issue of not being able to test the merchandise. ???

There are all kinds of pros and cons either way.

Tip: shop around.

I don't know what kind of percussion dealers are in your region, but I assume they are not much different than in the states or europe. Try out a few sets, see what you like, then bargain shop.

I don't know how many times I got a great deal by buying the "floor model" or finding what I wanted "used". :cool:

Obi
<a href= "http://www.geocities.com/drumrider"> Gahu Productions </a>
Obi

Postby Raymond » Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:14 pm

Pini,

Got your point! Definitively you must try something you want to buy. No Pearl dealers in Israel? Regarding Pearl's MQ, take it from me and others, are perhaps the best buy in timbales right now. I'll check with Pearl. (BTW, I am about to become a Pearl endorser..just the pictures missing to send the paperwork).

The LP Tito Puente's in Bronze are a sharp looking timbales...Very nice...The sound is OK but personally I do not like them. (Personally, the opaque overtones of the cascara and the timbales, like old Slingerlands, I do not like it. They tend to sound sometimes like a crackers tin box. Beware)!

However, I've heard in some areas they have a backorder or they are selling them kind of high because of the demand. You found a place where they are priced OK! When I did my search for you, I though they will be cheaper but apparently LP has raised their prices.

Anyway, when you get whatever you are going to get let us know.

The manner music stores sell in the stores is interesting but you have to be careful like I mentioned. Buying through the net raises some problems like we have mentioned but if you know your product, you know what you are getting. Take care.

Saludos!
Raymond

Return to Timbales