Timbales crash

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby montezuma » Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:14 am

Hi everyone!
I finally bought the Sabians's AA (el sabor) 18" crash. And I think it's great! I use it as a crash and as a ride. It has a amazing bell, which sounds really great in mambo music . The crash has a nice latin-jazz sound. It sounds reallt long after the stroke so sometimes I have to catch the cymbal after the stroke. Thenks to everyone for your advices!
But I have one more question. What kind of cymbal should I use for the salsa band: crash, splash. I think It muss have a loud sound and quich response. I"ll be greatfull for your advices! :;):
montezuma

Postby Raymond » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:47 am

For Monctezuma,

For salsa crash. (The El Sabor is a good one for that). Although, I've seen some timbaleros using "rides" as crash. (Not as good but sometimes better than some thicker crash cymbales I've heard).

For Franc,

Does it matter the brand or type? It depends how the cymbal sounds and what are you looking for. A better cymbal will tend to last you more and will have in most cases "unique" sounds that a "budget" version will not have.

How you hit the cymbals, will affect the sound you get from them and how long they will last.

Believe it or not, you notice the quality of a good cymbal versus a budget one.

I know, I am not answering your questions straight up but you could have the best cymbal but if you are not a good player, it will not sound good. You are good player and have a budget cymbal and you will find the way to sound it good. I am a believer that good equipment will help your shortcomings (in most cases not all).

For cymbal you have to be careful because sometimes two of the same kind will not sound a like. (In some instances it happens and also if the cymbal has been "broken" in by different people).

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby franc » Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:58 am

raymond, thanks a lot for your helpful explanation of the cymbal sound and brand. it does make lot of sense. always take care , my friend!!!! franc:D
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Postby Tamborim » Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:50 pm

Hello everyone.

I had the opportunity to use some UFIP cymbals on a gig over New Years eve. I had listened to them mainly in a shop and had based my comments on that. After using them on the gig I now must make a complaint about these cymbals. Although they have great tone and clarity, they simply do not cut through loud music.

I hereby reverse my earlier opinion about this brand of cymbals. I had to work very very hard to make them heard at all, and they have not come across well on the gig recording.

I hope this is of some help.
Tamborim

Previous

Return to Timbales