Tuning?

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby Tonio » Wed Mar 31, 2004 12:29 am

Hi all,
I have Tito model Stainless steel 13,14". Do you guys tune macho hembra to specific pitches? I'm guessing it depends on
genre etc..
Raymond seems to be the Guru here, thoughts?

T
Tonio

Postby Raymond » Wed Mar 31, 2004 2:54 pm

Tonio,

Thank you for the compliment. But no, I am not a guru. It just happens that I played the three, timbal, conga and bongo, and timbal has become lately my main instrument in gigging and I have become very interested in everything related to the instrument. (Congas are not my main, I will say they are third in the list and I am still working with it). (I am more technique and knowledge than skills...)

Tuning??? Well, I do read music a little bit and I am aware of musical technicalities but I could not tell you notes or anything to help you tune. Tuning with the timbale depends on the sound you want to provide and/or the type of music you are playing.

Timbales used to be tuned very low, i.e, Tito Puente, Oreste Vilato, Manny Oquendo style, however in the 70s the tuning became higher in pitch. Also, the use of special "drum" heads instead of the factory heads or "natural" skins have changed the sound of the timbale.

Personally, I picked up playing timbales during the hype of the "New York sound" of salsa of DLG, Sergio George produced artists with the crispy high pitch tuning of guys like Marc Quinones and Chino Nunez who played in those records. However, like they have done, I have lowered my tuning but still higher than the traditional "fat sound" of a Tito Puente or Willie Rosario. The fashionable or "standard" tuning right known is higher than the tradional but not as high. (Mid level).

Also, personally, with all due respect to the "old school", you can't have a "fat sound" (low tune) with a band that its sound is modern and that will require you to do a lot of "cymbal hitting" and fills. I just does not sound right because the "standard" has changed. It will sound ackward in my opinion. The other way around applies too....

Lots of talking...but in summary is your personal liking and what the ensemble you're playing requires. I recommend listening to the sound of various timbaleros and work with the tuning you like. Very important is that the sounds of both drums complement each other...(I've seen guy with very high macho and low very low hembras. It doesn't sound right...).

I hope it helps....Other advices by others might follow...

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby James M » Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:29 am

Try tuning the hembra to an octave below middle C and the macho up a 4th to F.
James M

Postby Tonio » Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:54 pm

Raymond,
I play all three(congas, bongos and timbales) too. Hoever I couldn't call myself proficient with timbales. I started with bongos, then congas. I picked up timbales due to just wanting to learn, so I have no actual lessons per se. But
much can be learned just from watching and listening.
At firat I just played timbales with my left hand, and congas w/ right hand. so it was mainly accents etc. It was a cheap set too! It was'nt in the Latin genre, so I got the Tito model and studied on my own.
I did get a fyberskin head for macho, to get that warm tone which was great but changed back to the original.it does matter what kind of band etc involved.
Thanks for your tips and thoughts!!

T
Tonio

Postby Tonio » Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:55 pm

James, thanks I'll give those tunings a try

T
Tonio

Postby James M » Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:03 pm

How has the tuning worked for you?
James M

Postby Tonio » Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:58 pm

Actually I haven't had a chance yet, definately on the weekend. I will let you know how it goes.

T
Tonio

Postby Tonio » Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:06 am

Hey James! I checked out the tuning, I and I was close to your recommendations. ha. Actually at 1 octave down B (somewhat off), and F but alittle sharp.

I tuned it up to c and F respectively and its great. At C it does ring alittle more, but I'll check out some muffling remedies.

T
Tonio

Postby hughyg » Wed May 12, 2004 1:29 pm

I've got a set of Luis Conte 14' 15' what tuning would u recomend?
Hugh
hughyg

Postby James M » Fri May 14, 2004 3:33 am

Hey tonio. I'm glad it worked out! Sorry I haven't been around the forum. Just been trying to finish the semester, and spending free time with a good friend of mine in Argentina on MSN Messenger.

Hey, hugh. Those 14 and 15's I've never meesed with, but you could probably use the same tuning or tune a few steps lower lower, but keeping the same p4 interval: C-F; B-G; A-D; etc... As long as the tone qualities aren't too much affected by the notes you choose
James M

Postby Tonio » Fri May 14, 2004 10:32 pm

Hey James, thanks! Was wondering what happened to you.
Welcome back.

T
Tonio

Postby Hugh » Thu May 20, 2004 12:06 am

Cheers I'll give it a go. Ive been tuning at a third, but does quite sound right.
Hugh
Hugh

Return to Timbales