Cuero Na'ma!!!! - by José Mangual Jr.

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Sep 19, 2003 12:51 am

Ok Pini here is the breakdown Jimmy opens up out of time with 3 abanicos then goes into 2/3 clave timbale solo for about 12 bars then the piano comes in,after playing the montuno Jimmy procedes to take a 112 bar timbale solo. Remember Latin music is written in 8th notes. this is in 2/4 time, so the count is fast 1234 2234 3234 4234 ,etcetera. Hope this helps in breaking it down to ya...At your Service.. JC JOHNNY CONGA,,,, ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Sep 19, 2003 12:59 am

Jorge ..Bailadores is on the Tico label circa late 60's(67?). I should start selling my library of music. Once I can go from turntable to CD, which I haven't been able to do yet. But when I do my library will be available for those who want to hear some rare music. Is there anybody out there looking for anything inparticular I just might have it. I have over 3,ooo albums of latin/puerto rican-cuban-african and brasilian and straight up "old skool" jazz. Let me know if there is anything you might need OK..? cool......At your Service-- tu socio ..JC JOHNNY CONGA... ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby zaragemca » Fri Nov 21, 2003 3:01 pm

Jonny Conga my brother just for the record,the hitting of sticks to create that accentuation effects was not created by Tito Puente(he got it)from the olders Timbaleros,that's the way the sticks are used in the Core Parts of the Danzon Music long time ago.I have to use it in a Show Band which I was playing when I was in Cuba and I didn't even know who Tito Puente was at that time(since they weren't playing NY music in Cuba).

Edited By zaragemca on Nov. 21 2003 at 16:06
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Nov 21, 2003 3:42 pm

Well that may be true about Tito and his sticks. I personally have never seen anybody else do it but Tito and Jimmy Sabater. I have never been to Cuba,except Guantanamo,(when were you there and how old are you?) so I wouldn't know if that is something that was done a century ago. My words were that Tito used to hit his sticks together, not that he "invented" it. ................a su orden..JC JOHNNY CONGA... ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby zaragemca » Fri Nov 21, 2003 3:47 pm

Yes I know brother,I think I've seen that you were born out of Cuba,so it is ok not to know that that's the way all Timbaleros in Cuba which played Danzon at that time would follow the main core of that type of music,all the drummers which went to school in Cuba have to learn that stuff( we hate it becouse we were in to Jazz,Rock,faster stuff( and we already have the Cuban-Music in our pocket).But I know it was somebody else who might say that(in relation to that technique)first,saludos brother.I didn't go to Cuba I was born there,I'm 49 now.

Edited By zaragemca on Nov. 21 2003 at 15:58
zaragemca

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Nov 22, 2003 1:08 am

Vaya Zaragemca....yo soy Cubano pero yo naci aqui en America. Tengo 55 anos, ya. I am a student of Cuban music and history. Mi familia viene de Pinar Del Rio (Los palacios) entonces tengo sangre Cubano. I am very familiar with Danzon,seguro que si, but I have never heard that they actually "teach" the "clicking" of sticks in the formula of Danzon, and I who have Cuban music videos of Danzones have never ever seen a timbalero do that, but I will take your word for it. Gracias por su historia.....un socio...JC JOHNNY CONGA...www.showgigs.com/johnnyconga/index.html ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby zaragemca » Sat Nov 22, 2003 6:13 pm

Yes,I think I read in some web side about your Cuban heritage,I 've been in Los Palacios P.R. several times,what happened is that in recording(becouse the time constraint),the musician in many recordings just try to play as the songs go,but when playing in front of the public(which is when the groups need to enlarge the time of the songs,that's when the showmanship of those musicians would come out.All those old musicians(including Tito Puente,Tito Rodriguez,Ray Barreto,etc),were exposed to that when they were playing in Bands directed by Cubans Musicians in NY.,before they formed their own Bands(Jose Curbelo,Machito Band,Arsenio Rodriguez,Xavier Cugat,Alberto Socarras,Don Azpiazu,Ernesto Lecuona,Rene Touzet,etc.(a lot of musicians learned many things in these bands before they became big names,some of them came to Cuba at that time also(to check it out).I'm telling you it is not a thrill for me to play Danzones becouse to me it is easy,but I been playing on Bands where I have to do it becouse the people going in to an specifics Places(Club) requested it,or Private Parties.

Edited By zaragemca on Nov. 22 2003 at 18:42
zaragemca

Previous

Return to Timbales