noticing the diff between double storke to single

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby pini » Tue Aug 26, 2003 1:03 pm

Hi guys ,

long time since i last posted here.

when trying to "reverse engineer" a song from hearing how can someone decide wheather a roll played is a hard played double stroke or a gentle single stroke played fast ?

p.s

can anyone tell the patterns used by the timbales , in :

The Har You Percussion Group - Welcome to the party

Great song by the way !

regards,
pini
pini

Postby Raymond » Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:23 pm

Sometimes is hard to differentiate between a double or single strokes. (The speed in a single stroke could make it sound like a double stroke to some). Nevertheless, if you listen carefully a double stroke in an abanico sounds more "full."
Raymond

Postby pini » Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:47 pm

thanks raymond.

Are u familiar with : The Har You Percussion Group - Welcome to the party ?
pini

Postby 120decibels » Tue Aug 26, 2003 4:24 pm

Pini,

I have listened to "Welcome to the Party" a bunch of times, but never listening specifically to the timbales. However, my teacher, Sam Turner, played conga and timbales on that album. It was one of his first (if not the first) recordings! I'm sure it would be a stretch, but I'll ask him about the timbale pattern.

Zach
120decibels

Postby pini » Tue Aug 26, 2003 4:46 pm

Wow , thanks :)

I first listened to it today and liked it so much i kind of heard it about 30 times .

I think it's a recording from 30 years ago , am i right ?

the conga's presence can be really felt and the bass takes the show , but the campana there confuses me when tryning to figure out what the timbales does ... meanwhile double cascara fits ok on that.

regards ,
pini.
pini

Postby Raymond » Wed Aug 27, 2003 2:15 pm

No. I have not heard the Har You Percussion Group. What kind of group is? Let me know. (Have to admit my percussive expertise is in salsa and latin jazz).

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby 120decibels » Thu Aug 28, 2003 3:51 pm

The Harlem Youth Percussion Group was a group of young musicians in New York City in the late sixties who were brought together by Montego Joe and the Harlem Youth program to learn Afro-Cuban music. They put together one latin/latin jazz/sasa album.

The ensemble sounds great. I'm a little biased, but I love it!

Check it out if you have the chance.....

Zach

P.S. Sam will be back in town next week. I'll ask him about it.
120decibels

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Aug 28, 2003 11:27 pm

It's amazing how something old is now NEW again. I knew most of the cats back in my day that did that album with Montego Joe and had participated with the Harlem youth program, but not with any consistency. Ask Sam if he remembers what happened to Jose the other congero that wears the round frame glasses on the cover. We used to call him "lincoln" after President Abraham Lincoln for some reason i can't remember now. The last I had heard back in the 70's he had moved to Arizona to attend Arizona state. I have one album he recorded with Manny Burgos's band and he was one helluva player even at the young age of 17. We used to jam up in the North Bronx at his house down the street from Jerry Gonzalez. i often wondered what happend to Jose.....Paz y tumbas....JC JOHNNY CONGA... ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby pini » Sat Aug 30, 2003 5:19 pm

Hi all ,

Just came back from the Jazz Festival at the red sea in Eilat.
I enjoyed very much "Conzalo Rubalcaba" , a cuban pianist who played with drums only (dont know why the bass did not apear for the show).
Other jazz groups were : Paul winter , James moody , David El-Malek.
I guess I enjoyed Gonzalo the most because of the latin feel in his performance.

One strange sight was when Paul winter came to play ( he is a saxsophonist ) he went with an assistnat that will hold his lips the all show long. he had some problem with his muscles in the lips so a guy stood all the show holding his lips and he just played like that :)

I wasnt much familiar with jazz and after 10 performances and 2 whole night jam sessions ,I learnt a bit.

About Welcome to the party ... not many songs make me wanna listen to them that many times. I like the fun,energy and groove which made me smile the whole day :).

Raymond , get in touch if u cant find it.

regards,
pini.
pini

Postby yoni » Sun Aug 31, 2003 9:39 pm

Hi!

I'd like to know how I can hear the tune you mentioned here, Pini. I missed the Eilat festival this year, sounds like it was good. Sometimes Palmieri plays there, also Elvin Jones. Eddie Palmieri did play in Israel recently but not at the Eilat fest, he had a nine piece band at a couple of different venues. I couldn't make any of the shows but heard he was great as ever. Rubalcaba is a real chops monster, a technical wizard. But there's only one Eddie Palmieri!

I'll be playing at the Beresheet and Segol festivals coming up here, with my groups "Yadayim" and "Timeless". Played the Bumbamela fest a few months back - what a mob scene. These festivals are getting more crowded each year - 45,000 people over 3 days at the Bumbamela fest - a lot for a tiny country. The Shantipi fest is another one that pulls big crowds now. These fests all have drum circles as well as performances. I'm starting to like the smaller festivals better now, and some of the locations are just beautiful.

Pini, do you ever take your timbales to the Friday afternoon drum jams at Dolphinarium on Tel Aviv beach? I haven't gone at all this summer, being up north now, but used to go at times when I lived in Tel Aviv. I would mostly play off to the side so I could hear myself a little - 200 or so djembes makes a big noise. Here in the Mid East they play a lot in unison, also in the melodic music. I like the counterpoint in Afro/Latin music, which I grew up hearing in the NYC Central Park "Rumba wars" - everyone played a different part and it sounded great!

But I do like the atmosphere of the jams here - reminds me some of the 60's in NY. It's just that when you sit in and give a little counterpoint or soloing, about a third of the drummers get confused and fall on their butts. Maybe this happens at drum circles anywhere these days. Not so in Central Park in the 60's and 70's - those cats were baaad!
There is a strong Latin music scene here now, lots of immigrants from South America so the sound is often more Samba than Salsa, but there are a couple of good Salsa groups, too.

Wow, that was a mouthful! This forum is fun. Back to the drums.
Yoni
yoni

Postby Simon B » Sun Aug 31, 2003 10:55 pm

Yoni are you based in Europe/Middle East?

Simon B
Simon B

Postby yoni » Mon Sep 01, 2003 5:05 am

Yes, Simon. Born & raised in NYC but came to visit family here in Israel and have been mainly here since 1986 (see my mini web page - Yonatan Bar Rashi). I do get to travel abroad sometimes though and love it! Only been to England once, years back, would love to visit again. Do you get out of the UK at times? All the best,
Yoni
yoni

Postby Simon B » Mon Sep 01, 2003 11:15 pm

Don't get out of the UK as much as I should. Have been to America, some years ago though, should like to return; never been to Israel. I think I will try to get to Brazil or Cuba next summer.

Simon B
Simon B

Postby yoni » Tue Sep 02, 2003 12:24 pm

Cuba or Brazil sound great! South and Central America are vast, so are their music traditions... I lived in one small part of the Caribbean a few years, and just there the musical traditions were huge and complex, never mind the modern stuff of the area as well...

The last trips I took out of Israel were to Rome (a one night gig), Buenos Aires and Montivideo (a couple weeks of shows) and Budapest, where I played with a trio for some avant-garde theater festival. But at nights there I got out to the jazz clubs, sat in and had a grand time, was even hired for a recording during my stay. Some great musicians there in Budapest - I had a blast jamming with some Gypsy players - talk about hot music, what fast tempos.

Hope you get to visit Israel some time, lots of music here, but so many musicians per capita that the competition is quite keen. Great interest and appreciation, though. If you ever get out this way, do look me up so we can meet and jam.
Yoni
yoni

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Sep 02, 2003 2:19 pm

Hi Yoni...I had a friend of mine many years ago start a latin dance band in Israel, his name was Josh. Are there any latin music bands there?.....JC JOHNNY CONGA...
JohnnyConga

Next

Return to Timbales