yamaha timbales - anything to say???

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby pesaconga » Sat Jul 05, 2003 4:01 pm

Does anybody has anything to say about the Yamaha´s Alex Acuña signature timbales????.
pesaconga

Postby Raymond » Mon Jul 07, 2003 4:51 pm

All I know the Alex Acuna timbales is that they are made of fiberglass and/or wood and I have never seen them out there. The sound should not be that bad but I am wondering about the "cascara" which for those who play latin music is a must. The sound of "metal" for cascara is a more familiar sound than wood or fiberglass. (I guess wood or fiberglass will be very dry). Therefore, those of us playing latin music will go "metal" on this.

These timbales appears to be more suitable for 'drumsets". I believe a metal timbale will give you more "volume"

My two cents! Saludos!
Raymond

Postby RitmoBoricua » Tue Jul 08, 2003 4:37 pm

Raymond wrote:All I know the Alex Acuna timbales is that they are made of fiberglass and/or wood and I have never seen them out there. The sound should not be that bad but I am wondering about the "cascara" which for those who play latin music is a must. The sound of "metal" for cascara is a more familiar sound than wood or fiberglass. (I guess wood or fiberglass will be very dry). Therefore, those of us playing latin music will go "metal" on this.

These timbales appears to be more suitable for 'drumsets". I believe a metal timbale will give you more "volume"

My two cents! Saludos!

Hi. I wonder about those fiberglass and wood timbales too. Anybody have any kind of info on them? :)
RitmoBoricua

Postby pesaconga » Tue Jul 08, 2003 6:27 pm

The shells are made of Maple, so I agree the cascara must sound quite different. Maybe the just wanted to try something different. I ve seen them in a shop nearby altough I didn´t get to try them, maybe that´s the next thing I´m goona do.

Adios :D
pesaconga

Return to Timbales