Oye como va

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby Chelsea » Sat Apr 05, 2003 8:13 am

Does anyone have a pattern for Tito Puente's 'Oye Como Va' for timbales? (And congas, if possible.) I've looked on the web, but can't seem to find one.

Thanks. :)
"Every instrument has to abide by the Clave. Stay on the Clave and you'll make it." - Tito Puente
Chelsea

Postby pini » Sat Apr 05, 2003 11:52 am

Hi Chelsea ,

There are 3 patterns : two for cymbal and one for bell
played at Half-tone = 64 bpm.

A:
[img]e:\a.jpg[/img]

B:
[img]e:\b.jpg[/img]

C:
[img]e:\c.jpg[/img]

I took these from tito's book.

pini.
pini

Postby Raymond » Mon Apr 07, 2003 4:45 pm

The last book Tito did with some guy, forgot the name, (is in amazon if you want to check it out), has the full "timbale" chart of the song. (At least the version in the Live at Birdland version). (By the way, I can't see Pinis "beats". Hopefully you can).

The timbales is actually doing the "cha cha beat" which is hitting the the quarter note all the time. (As an alternative, the cha cha bell as well as the bongo bell could do the double eighth note and quarter note "beat" also which is an option in cha cha but that beat gives a "sense" of speeding up the song, If the bongo bell is used, the timbalero could be using the timbale bell beats appropriate or repeating what the bongo bell does which sounds more "sublte" than hitting the cha cha bell and doing the same thing as the bongo bell.)

The conga is doing the "basic" conga beat in eighth notes. (Assuming right handed player). THIS IN THE CONGA OR QUINTO: Left Hand, palm, Left Hand, finger, Right Hand, slap, Left palm", left hand, finger, Right Hand beat, Right Hand beat. (I think that is correct). If you want to give it the full tumbao then do the quinto only once then go after the two beats with the right hand in the quinto, Left Hand, palm, Left Hand Finger, Right Hand Finger, NOW IN TUMBADOR, Right Hand Beat, Right Hand Beat, NOW IN QUINTO, Right Hand Beat, Right Hand Beat and start again)

Hopefully, I got it right! (Check amazon with the book, sometimes they have "samples" of the pages in the book and one of the samples could be the chart of the song).

Saludos!

Edited By Raymond on April 07 2003 at 17:47
Raymond

Return to Timbales