Meinl Luis Conte Timbales!

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby Raymond » Mon Mar 10, 2003 12:54 am

Jorge,

You know my input about them. But anyway, for the record here, I will give you my experience with them

The Meinl Luis Conte Brass Timbales are great. They look awesome on stage! Great dry sounding cascara. (Have to admit that have to quite the ring of the cascara area a little bit my putting duck tape inside the pailas around the cascara area). Their tilting stand is better than LP and more manageable. Their cowbell holder allows that you put the cowbells a little further away than LPs. (Something I personally prefer). The problems:

1 - The cascara area is suffering a lot and has to be constantly cleaned to avoid rapid decay of the area.

2 - The mechanism of the stands are tricky. Specially the height adapter that is actually like a pressure knob that you push down. (There is another screw or spring that is next to that mechanism that if tighten too much or too loose, the knob mechanism could give up and your timbales could go down on you).

3 - Thei mechanism to put in the cowbell holder with the pailas is really bad. Is actually a bolt that you screw to this "screw" that sticks out between the pailas. (The timbales come with a special tool to help with this...but let's be real.... sometimes you do not have it with you and is a pain because the holder sways everytime you try to tighten it).

4 - Regarding point 3, the holder has a butterfly mechanism to extend the holder and one of my butterflys do not work anymore. (Something happened one time I put the holder in the my timbales case and guess got messed up). I have tried to get help from Meinl to get a new holder and some of the distributors but so far no response....

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby tamboricua » Tue Mar 11, 2003 4:42 pm

Gracias Raymond. Welcome to the Congaforum! I do have a Meinl catalog of spare parts, I can provide you with the exact part number if you need it. Let me know!

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby RitmoBoricua » Tue Mar 11, 2003 5:19 pm

Guest wrote:Jorge,

You know my input about them. But anyway, for the record here, I will give you my experience with them

The Meinl Luis Conte Brass Timbales are great. They look awesome on stage! Great dry sounding cascara. (Have to admit that have to quite the ring of the cascara area a little bit my putting duck tape inside the pailas around the cascara area). Their tilting stand is better than LP and more manageable. Their cowbell holder allows that you put the cowbells a little further away than LPs. (Something I personally prefer). The problems:

1 - The cascara area is suffering a lot and has to be constantly cleaned to avoid rapid decay of the area.

2 - The mechanism of the stands are tricky. Specially the height adapter that is actually like a pressure knob that you push down. (There is another screw or spring that is next to that mechanism that if tighten too much or too loose, the knob mechanism could give up and your timbales could go down on you).

3 - Thei mechanism to put in the cowbell holder with the pailas is really bad. Is actually a bolt that you screw to this "screw" that sticks out between the pailas. (The timbales come with a special tool to help with this...but let's be real.... sometimes you do not have it with you and is a pain because the holder sways everytime you try to tighten it).

4 - Regarding point 3, the holder has a butterfly mechanism to extend the holder and one of my butterflys do not work anymore. (Something happened one time I put the holder in the my timbales case and guess got messed up). I have tried to get help from Meinl to get a new holder and some of the distributors but so far no response....

Saludos!

Hi, Gosh Raymond it sounds like you haveto be really mechanically inclined to deal with them timbales. Then again to keep the equipment in good working order it requires some up-keep maintenance. I do restore some of my congas every couple of years like I sand them down next I used this wood filler for the gashes, nicks, scratches etc and then I restain and poly plus if the hardware shows some decay I sand them down and refinish with either gold or chrome paint and they look good. I enjoy doing this. After All
My Drums Are Just Part Of My Family Too, My Babies! :D

Edited By RitmoBoricua on Mar. 11 2003 at 17:20
RitmoBoricua

Previous

Return to Timbales