Contra campana

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby tamboricua » Tue Aug 06, 2002 5:24 pm

Hi Congaforum, hope all is well! For the timbaleros in the forum. I would like to know which is the more appropiate or common way to accompany behind a conga solo, when the bongosero change from his normal bongó bell pattern to the following pattern:

2/3 Clave

1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 +
x x x x x x x x x x

Should the timbalero double the bongó bell pattern? or Should keep his normal contra campana pattern?

Saludos, Jorge Ginorio
???
tamboricua

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Aug 07, 2002 5:59 pm

:D Hi Jorge G...that particular Bell pattern is used more for a Latin Jazz Big band swing. But it is still a matter of Choice,whether it "fits" the arrangement or u want to keep it "straight ahead"...ko ki ko kiki kokiki ko. One being on the mouth of the bell first. 1+2+anda3anda 4anda1...Hope this helps...At your Service....JC JOHNNY CONGA....... ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby tamboricua » Wed Aug 07, 2002 7:55 pm

Hola Johnny, muchas gracias por la información, pero creo que no fui entendido en mi pregunta. Dejame ver si puedo ser mas claro en la pregunta. Normalmente, cuando hay un solo de tumbadoras en un tema, el bongosero cambia del patrón normal de su campana al patrón que me dijiste se usa en un arreglo de Latin Jazz Mambo. Que haria el timbalero en ese instante? Se mantendria tocando el patrón normal de campaneo(Mambo bell) o doblaria el campaneo que esta haciendo el bongosero? Espero su respuesta, muchas gracias!

Saludos, Jorge Ginorio ???
tamboricua

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Aug 12, 2002 8:20 pm

Vaya El Timbalero hace ...da da dididida dididi da didi dada dididi da...OH>>>KAAAAY? Eso silve o NO? Dimelo Cantando....El Griot.... At your service....JC JOHNNY CONGA....
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Aug 12, 2002 8:23 pm

ALWAYS REMEMBER " IF U CAN SAY IT,YOU CAN PLAY IT!.."....Yes but not to forget to learn to read notation and how to count....... ;) At your Service...JC JOHNNY CONGA...
JohnnyConga

Postby tamboricua » Mon Aug 12, 2002 9:24 pm

JohnnyConga wrote:Vaya El Timbalero hace ...da da dididida dididi da didi dada dididi da...OH>>>KAAAAY? Eso silve o NO? Dimelo Cantando....El Griot.... At your service....JC JOHNNY CONGA....

Hola Johnny, hope all is well! I play that pattern during montuno sections(coros/soneos, moña/mambo). Do I play the same pattern accompanying a conga solo? Maybe adding the bombo note on the hembra? Muchas gracias!

Saludos, Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby Raymond » Mon Mar 10, 2003 1:14 am

I know what you are referring to. When a conga solo normally the bongosero will play during the conga solo (and also sometimes during timbales solos too) what is call the mambo jazz pattern in the mouth of the cowbell. (Is the same as the timbal cascareo).

Personally, I play any of the other patterns of the timbale cowbell that is appropriately for the clave that is going on during the solo. However, normally I will give it a little variation so is not the same as when you go back to the song. Specially, a beat that differs from the bongo bell

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Mar 11, 2003 2:19 am

Of course the more "tipico" way for the campanero to play behind the conga solo is gock gi gock gi gi gock gi gi gock gi gi gock gi gock......si o no?....At your Service ....JC JOHNNY CONGA......MONGO LIVES!.. ;)
JohnnyConga

Return to Timbales