Conga history and makers - Need your input on ideas

Let's discuss about the origin and history of this beautiful instrument...

Postby tamboricua » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:17 pm

ralph wrote:
tamboricua wrote:Hope all is well! I recently spend couple of days on the island and got a chance to visit the Timbas Ismael shop in Sierra Bayamón. Mainly they are selling LP's, Meinl, Matador drums, percussion accesories,(conga-bongo hooks, cowbells, maracas, etc.), and panderos de Plena by some of the best pandero artisans on the island, but unfortunately no "Timbas Ismael" drums. :(

thanks for checking for Timbas Jorge...by the way i heard of another cat in PR, who makes bata, conga, panderetas, etc...
i think he goes be Del Valle, heard of him?

Anytime Ralph,

Yes, I have heard of Papo del Valle. I understand he makes excellent panderos and barriles. Haven't seen or play his timbas nor his batá. Raymond?

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

Edited By tamboricua on 1123874351
tamboricua

Postby Doctorumba » Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:20 am

Speaking of legendary conga makers,Frank Mesa was the first to make a fiberglass conga.He strated making them around 1957 and stopped making them around 1970.I took Mr.Mesa about a month to make a conga.He used the best products and his harware came from the boat (ships) industry.He also made the first comfort curve rim ever and his chrome platting is by far the best ever. After LP strated mass producing fiberglass congas in the late 60's,Frank became disenchated and stopped his conga making operation.All the famous conga players in NYC played Echo Tones.Patato loved them,Candido still has his,Ray Barretto,Willie Bobo,Frankie Malabe,Willie Pastrana,Milton Cardona,Jerry Gozalez and our own JC all loved and played Ech Tones.
I consider myself a lucky guy in that present day, March 2006, I have a set of three (came from a guy that got them from F. Malabe) and they sound better than any other fiberglass conga.In great condition. Foto pa' que disfruten !
Saludos, Dario

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... C_004F.JPG
Doctorumba

Postby Doctorumba » Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:37 am

Natalio Tirado (Junior) and Jay Berek, both from Brooklyn in NYC, have carried on the tradition that was strated by Gonzalo Vergara in La Habana in the 40's and throughout the 50's.Both Junior and Jay make a Cuban style tumbadora that resembles Vergara's,but are actually much better made and much stronger.In my opinion,no other conga comes close, forget LP,Toca,Pearl,Meinl,Gon Bops, Valje,Timba or Sol.The only conga maker that shadows Junior and Jay in todays market is Matthew Smith from Ritmo Drums in Pennsylvania.
I've included pictures of my Skin on Skins and of my Juniors.The sad thing is that there are hardly any gigs in Miami and my wife hates all these congas. Abrazos, Dario

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... C_001F.JPG
Doctorumba

Postby Doctorumba » Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:43 am

Junior Tirado congas, belonged to the late Julian Cabrera,tumbador for Machito,Charlie Palmieri,also recorded with Mongo.Junior made these for Julian in 1971,dated on the inside.Made from Cahoba Cariben~a.

Que No Se Pare La Rumba! Abrazos, Dario

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... C_005F.JPG
Doctorumba

Postby ABAKUA » Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:25 am

Doctorumba wrote:Natalio Tirado (Junior) and Jay Berek, both from Brooklyn in NYC, have carried on the tradition that was strated by Gonzalo Vergara in La Habana in the 40's and throughout the 50's.Both Junior and Jay make a Cuban style tumbadora that resembles Vergara's,but are actually much better made and much stronger.In my opinion,no other conga comes close, forget LP,Toca,Pearl,Meinl,Gon Bops, Valje,Timba or Sol.The only conga maker that shadows Junior and Jay in todays market is Matthew Smith from Ritmo Drums in Pennsylvania.
I've included pictures of my Skin on Skins and of my Juniors.The sad thing is that there are hardly any gigs in Miami and my wife hates all these congas. Abrazos, Dario

Nice drums Dario, a true piece of history there.
They look awesome, I bet they sound fantastic.
However I think my Palladiums will give them a run for their money! :cool:

Dario, no gigs in Miami ey.. Sad to hear. Move to Sydney Australia! I will hook you up!

Edited By ABAKUA on 1142832372
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby OLSONGO » Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:27 am

Those are some congas bros ! A set of LP classics and a set of Gon Bops are my babies at the moment, will post later.
But check this congas out Del cielo congas, carved out of one piece of wood,looks like dark walnut. They claim that they will live any other conga in the dust, i have not had the oppurtunity to play this drum, has anybody? There is also a company in Hawaii making congas of Mango wood, the grain looks very interesting.

Edited By OLSONGO on 1142836522
OLSONGO

Postby OLSONGO » Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:30 am

Those are some congas bros ! A set of LP classics and a set of Gon Bops are my babies at the moment, will post later.
But check this congas out Del cielo congas, carved out of one piece of wood,looks like dark walnut. They claim that they will live any other conga in the dust, i have not had the oppurtunity to play this drum, has anybody? There is also a company in Hawaii making congas of Mango wood, the grain looks very interesting.

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... elo375.jpg
OLSONGO

Postby OLSONGO » Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:36 am

How can i edit the images ?

Edited By OLSONGO on 1142836628

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... loa375.jpg
OLSONGO

Postby OLSONGO » Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:40 am

OLSONGO

Postby OLSONGO » Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:41 am

The Hawaii volcano congas

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... ngas31.jpg
OLSONGO

Postby OLSONGO » Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:42 am

Another volcano congas pic

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... ngas32.jpg
OLSONGO

Postby GuruPimpi » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:14 pm

Hello all!

Waw, Volcano congas is my life wish in future but seeing those Del cielo congas..... :O Geeez, beauties!!! Floatune model indeed. The lugs are also interestingly set, although it looks a bit weak ??? but... geeez, beautiful drums indeed!

Guys, I also would like to know if anybody ever played these beauties???

Primozz
GuruPimpi

Postby ABAKUA » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:16 pm

our brother maSSivedrums owns a set of those Volcano congas. Beautiful drums they are. I believe the manufacturer is also a member on here.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby GuruPimpi » Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:43 pm

Hmmmmmmmm... but those Del cielos...

Erotique :D

Primozz
GuruPimpi

Postby OLSONGO » Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:12 pm

Bros Take a look at the LP stands that those volcanoes are on. personally I have never been happy with them, they don't hold enough of the drum , and my main problem is that they never really hols a super tumba that I have. One day on a solo that tumba popped right out, and ended up in first row at a concert, man I though I was going to have a suit on my hands. (no pun intended)
Also the wheels and the locks are kind of weak.
OLSONGO

PreviousNext

Return to Congas or Tumbadoras or...