Macho tunng

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby Tonio » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:32 am

hola bongoceros!
Since getting my Moperc Salsa club bongos I've been toying with the macho tuning. Of course it depends on the vs. macho on congas and the general tuning. I'm starting to like being lower than the conga macho.
Guess I never realize how important it was.

How are you tuning against (or with for a better term) the congas?

T
Tonio

Postby Tonio » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:54 am

What? no one considers this? Or am I being vague?

T
Tonio

Postby Mike » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:03 am

At your service, Sir T. :;):
Well, the macho is supposed to be cranked up really high (except for some styles). Quality bongos simply sound best that way.
As a result, the pitch of your bongo macho will be way higher than a quinto. The hembra might be another matter, it depends pretty much on your personal taste which interval you choose.

Whether you alone play bongos and congas together or if these instruments are played in an ensemble, in any case you should be able to discern the "high tenor" voices of the bongos and the "bariton to bass" pitch of the congas in order to have a stisfying and complete sound structure.
So this might serve as a rule of thumb. Talking about exact pitches with the macho bongo is a bit difficult IMO. When I play a bongo+conga setup (which I rarely do) I always try to tune all drums in the way that their tone pitches do not lie too close together.

Last but not least you´ll notice that you can play ear-splintering slaps on a very tight macho head - this is what we´re after, isn´t it? So the idea is to tune the macho very high (and detune as well after playing of course).

I hope I could be of any assistance at all with my fishy rules of thumb? :D

Edited By Mike on 1193239170
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby bongosnotbombs » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:26 pm

Are you saying you like to tune your bongo macho lower than you conga macho (which is your quinto)?

That sounds weird.

I play around with the pitch of my macho often, sometimes really high and sometimes not so high, on the older cuban stuff I have the macho doesn't seem to be tuned as high.

Anyways I never play my bongos with the congas or anything like that so I just tune the bongo macho to the bongo hembra.
bongosnotbombs

Postby Tonio » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:35 pm

doh, no wonder-- I meant I tune the bongo hembra lower than a quinto. Where the heck did I confuse that with macho?? ???

In Salsa where a conga /tumba is used more often, tuning them hembra lower than the congas seems to be popular. To the point that they are very similar in pitch.

T
Tonio

Postby Raymond » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:54 pm

Tuning is a matter of the player's preference. However, sometimes certain types of music and/or preferences of other members of the group and/or the leader could dictate it. However, 99.99 is the player's liking or preferred tuning.

Never in my time I've seen anybody tuning with other instrument. What I've seen is that if your group plays "old" tunes that tended to have a lower tuning in both the hembra and macho, the player tends to be that way. (And even though that, there are some bongo players from the old Tito Rodriguez, Tito Puente, etc, they had a high tuning).

Just to give you my experience...

I loved the high crispy macho tuning and low hembra from Albert Machuca recordings in the 80s. However, I noticed that high macho gets lost and does not provide much definition in the playing. Then I shifted into a more traditional sound, not too crispy, but still with a lower macho but high that provides me more definition playing. Still I keep the hembra the same way... (By the way, Albert Machuca changed his tuning at the end of the 90s with a low tuning in some of the Tito Rojas' recording...).

A low macho I hate it because I cannot get a good sound out of them. (Is the same with a very high hembra that I do not feel comfortable).

Again...is your liking..your style...Tuning sometimes could become part of "your signature" as a player.

No rule here.....

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby twinsbongo » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:04 pm

hi bongoceros:
i have been reading about this topic. raymond is absolutely right about what hi is talking about. real real good advice from you to the beginners. it is not the same thing playing by yourself in the house than playing with a band.
julito tx

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... -bongo.jpg
twinsbongo

Postby Tonio » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:49 pm

Hola Raymond,
aside from my snafu of stating the tuning of the macho, what I meant was the hembra.

Agreed on the traditional "method" of a lower tuning. I also have never really "tuned" with congas in mind, and was more about tuning the bongos themsleves.
I suppose after getting the Moperc bongos I have become more aware of the differences of tuning the hembra.
Tonio

Postby Raymond » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:01 pm

Tonio,

Live situations will help you a lot. A very crispy macho, or very but very high, will get lost in a live situaiton. Also, it loses in the "definition" of the sound. A very low macho will get lost too! In my opinion you have to work in getting a good difference between between the macho and the hembra so you feel comfortable and feel you are getting notice.

Listen to some records and notice the tuning. Also, check out live performances that will tell you about the different styles and preferences in tuning.

A high hembra is a not the norm because despite the fact you have the macho high it gets to a point that it fails to sound like a bongo. (Doesn't make sense to have a low macho and a high hembra).

Last but not least is what you like. Very important on this how the bongo sounds when you play it. People tend to lose the fact that somebody else's tuning might not work for you or might not sound the same for you. (That is when you play somebody elses tuning and instrument).

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby Diceman » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:49 pm

Totally agree with tuning all percussion to fit with each other. and have decent intervals. Percussionist are also melodic players as well as sonic and rhythmic.
The difference between a band with a rhythm section in or out of tune is truly noticeable in the ensemble, and it is worth the trouble being in tune IMHO.

Suave
Diceman

Postby Tonio » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:30 pm

Good point Raymond,
Very true about tuning too high oor too low, it does get lost or undefined.
I tend to tune them to where the heads/shell resonates best and usually its just fine.
Also , I noticed by listening to records or live, that the bongo hembra and conga or quinto are very similar in pitch/tone. Sometimes to the point of not being able to hear the bongo hembra since the larger drum will normally be louder. That is another aspect that I have been noticing and trying to avoid.

T
Tonio

Return to Bongo