LP Generation 3 triple bongos

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby Sakuntu » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:54 am

I just picked up a set of LP gen 3 triple bongos for 100$. they are in good shape but missing heads for the macho and the little 3rd bongo (what do you call that thing-machito?) has anyone ever used all 3 in a gig before? looks pretty ackward and I wouldn;t know where to throw in the little 3rd bongo. I'm thinking of removing it and just using the macho & Hembra. Give me your thoughts on the triple bongo set up by LP. I'm curious about other opinions. I figuired 100 wasn't bad being that i already have some heads at home to work with. peace

Sakuntu
Sakuntu
Sakuntu

Postby deadhead » Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:50 am

$100 sounds like an awesome deal! I've never played the gen III, but it does seem awkward. I could see it used in a non-traditional setup, like a add on to drumset player or something. I dunno, but the price seems nice.
deadhead

Postby twinsbongo » Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:40 am

hi brother:
i do not know, but lp its about the only company that can come up with a product as bad as that one.i think that is why you pick-it -up for $100.00.NOBODY WANTS THOSE 3 AS A SET. i think it will be good like in a special stand to play some african dance ceremonial.other than that it is a waste in time from lp.no words for some like that
twinsbongo

Postby Sakuntu » Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:07 pm

I think your right. actually took off the small bongo and center block. I'll use the macho & hembra as normal. Them won't fit well on the camlock bongo stand I have either when all 3 are attached. the weight is just too weird. About the only good thing I can think of is if I want a really small bongo sound for a recording or somthing I'll just attached the 3rd bongo and the macho together for a really small bongo set up. so in a sense I have 2 pairs of bongos in one depending on if i want to siwtch them around. The heads are drying now...I'm excited to tune em up and see how they sound....
Sakuntu
Sakuntu

Postby jmdriscoll » Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:12 pm

I have a set of LP gen III's. I thought that that 3rd head was cool before I bought them. I soon took it off and have not used the 3rd head since then... only play the macho and hembra. Other than that, they are exactly like the Gen II's. I do like the 9" hembra head though. Almost wish that I had bought a set of Gen II's instead..
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted"

"Music and rhythm find their way into secret places of the soul"
jmdriscoll

Postby Raymond » Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:03 pm

Good idea by LP that did not work out. No wonder you got it for $100. As a "two head" bongo is a good deal.

The triple head was intended for effect"percussionists" not the traditional latin player, who mainly use them while seated. As an additional effect that third head but nobody bought the idea or got the need. I guess two heads will do for everybody seated or standing up percussionists.

Saludos!

Edited By Raymond on 1183212258
Raymond

Re: LP Generation 3 triple bongos

Postby RetroVintageDrummer » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:53 pm

In a local Latin band that I play with, the bongocero switches off between his vintage LP ZebraWood bongos and his GenIII bongos. He likes the extra voice that the 5 1/2" head offers, and I prefer that he incorperates it in. It definately is a nice extra voice added to the mix. The only downside is that the bearing edge on them is too sharp and that they need a stand to be played. On my own pair of GenIII triple bongos I removed the hembra to have a small lightweight beach bongo set that I take to the jams in my area. I believe back in the day LP made a set of what they called finger bongos that were similar in size to the 7 1/4 and 5 1/2 that the GenIII has. I think that Gon Bops also had a triple bongo back in the day that has a large "bass" bongo instead of a small one.

AndyG
RetroVintageDrummer

Return to Bongo