History of LP Matador Bongos - Question

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

History of LP Matador Bongos - Question

Postby crmcrm » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:46 pm

I have two pair of LP Matador bongos, one from '92 the other from '94 (both recent eBay finds). I took the nicer hardware from one and the better shells from the other (the 92 hembra was out of round), added a set of Manito Mule & Steer heads, and now I have a set I am happy with.

My question: One of the sellers claimed that they were Oak (I didn't believe him, but I purchased them anyway). They are both made in Thailand, so I am assuming that they are both Rubber (Siam oak). Does anyone have info on this?

Thanks!
CRM
crmcrm

Re: History of LP Matador Bongos - Question

Postby dcallesa » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:10 pm

Hi, i want to say hello to all of you guys, this is a great forum for people that love bongos as i do. As far as i know all the lp matadors are made of rubberwood aka "siam oak". The only bongos made of true oak that i know that LP made is the LP Galaxy from the 90s, wich was made from north american white oak. The Galaxies made from the 2001 to this day are made in white ash. You can identify them for the design of the plate with the lp logo or for the date of manufacturing behind the bottom rings.

Hope this helps.
dcallesa

Re: History of LP Matador Bongos - Question

Postby crmcrm » Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:12 am

Thanks!

Siam Oak was what i suspected.

CRM
crmcrm

Return to Bongo